Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Running rich on JB4 beta map 5 w/ E85

Okay guys, I recently installed the beta map 5 for my JB4. The map was released by Terry for E85 users. I am currently running a 70/30 mix of E85, and I'm having an issue running way too rich. When I'm idling, I've found it to be the most rich, so much in fact that my car will begin to smoke a little. Has anyone else had this problem? What would be the solution? Hopefully Terry can chime in on this...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Did you submit logs to terry? What are your AFR's looking like.Is it rich only on cold start up or any time its idling?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Email BMS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Agree with above.Is this with 5/23 firmware?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No logs, I just haven't had the time. It seems to run rich with cold start up, and while it's heating up. Once I've driven it around for 10-15 mins, it still runs a little rich, but not as bad. You can tell just from the smell of the exhaust. Yes, the 5/23 firmware. I'm trying to figure out if there is an area of the JB4 interface where you can mess around with the fuel trims. I know map 5 is an autotuning map, so I figured it would fix the solution on its own, but apparently that isn't the case.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

At low throttle you'll get the same stock 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio you'd get without the JB4 or on any fuel. You can monitor AFR in dash to verify.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FATBMW Click here to enlarge
    No logs, I just haven't had the time. It seems to run rich with cold start up, and while it's heating up. Once I've driven it around for 10-15 mins, it still runs a little rich, but not as bad. You can tell just from the smell of the exhaust. Yes, the 5/23 firmware. I'm trying to figure out if there is an area of the JB4 interface where you can mess around with the fuel trims. I know map 5 is an autotuning map, so I figured it would fix the solution on its own, but apparently that isn't the case.
    This whole time I thought you had determined the car was running rich through looking at logs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You have a good nose if you can smell AFR.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

You can't go just based on your nose, log it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

70% E85 or 70% regular gasoline?
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

If your nose can detect air fuel ratios then you my friend have amazing olfactory nerves.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yeah your like a afr ninja.sweet i wish i had that ability i could make tons of money using it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

pretty sure JB4 isnt "active" at idle. im betting a leaky injector or some other N54 common issue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow I love on the trolls on this board haha. Of course I can't smell the damn AFR, but it doesn't take a genius to know the smell of a car running rich. I'll log it when I have the chance to actually get to the JB4. I never have free time these days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Just harrassing you a little. I get what your saying but if you log it helps.We are not there seeing what your seeing or smelling it either. A log is all we have to go by to help remedy your issue.I know what you mean about time constraints but i never post without data to go along with the details of my problem.So have you logged yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Wow I love on the trolls on this board haha. Of course I can't smell the damn AFR, but it doesn't take a genius to know the smell of a car running rich. I'll log it when I have the chance to actually get to the JB4. I never have free time these days.
    Are you serious?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yeah i think he is. So sad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Isn't the stoich of e85 different from regular gasoline?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

AFR reading is actually not a plain AFR reading when running fuels with different oxygen content from gasoline. O2 sensors measure oxygen and the results are given in the form of AFR given the fuel would be gasoline. So you can stick with looking at the typical AFR figures since no matter what the fuel is the results are always given in comparable "gasoline only AFRs". Nice that you can just forget the different fuels and stoichs etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Good point 654 stoich is 9.7 to10.1 on e-85 depending on summer or winter blend.The ecu will try to get to stoich according to O2 sensors regardless of fuel as long as your in closed loop ops.All that goes by the wayside when you go WOT and switch to open loop fueling.At that point you are at the mercy of the fuel tables in the ecu and in most cases go lean in open loop unless you counteract this by remapping fuel tables upping fuel pressure or mess with injector duty cycles.When dealing with E85 blends you are much better off dealing with lambda value reported because it is accurate regardless of fuel in the tank.The AFR reported by most wideband 02 sensors actually reads the fuelair mixture in terms of lambda and then internally computes to gasoline calibrated afr's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Calculation for gasoline calibrated afr is lambda value x 14.7 On E85 cars run well on gas calibrate afr between11.5 and 12.5 with turbocharged cars running on the richer end of that scale.