Yes Reputation No
    + 1 on the air box and intake..... These dci's aren't the best looking
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OT but very interested in the Alpina rep box too!
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    I'm going from ClutchMasters to HPF at the end of July. At the same time, the replica Alpina airbox and intake tubing will also be installed (at least that's the plan).

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Do you have the airbox and tubes? Could you take some pics when you have them?

Could you please measure the diameters of the tubing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I haven't forgot about you guys. Still waiting on ACT's final decision before I post up my review. Should hear back by the end of tomorrow. Either way, I will most likely end up going with an ACT street disc after this since I can't afford an HPF at this point. ACT tells me they created a new ceramic material about a month and a half ago that does much better than the old stuff but, I think I'll just stick with what has been proven to hold up on this platform. More to come...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Do you have the airbox and tubes? Could you take some pics when you have them?

Could you please measure the diameters of the tubing.
    Yes I have the airbox and the two inlet tubes since 2 weeks. I'll make a few photos, but that won't be before the next week-end. Installation is planned in the last week of July.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (÷hlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes I have the airbox and the two inlet tubes since 2 weeks. I'll make a few photos, but that won't be before the next week-end. Installation is planned in the last week of July.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Great, thanks a lot. It is very interesting to see what did they do to the inlet tubes and how the air travels in the air-box. Obviously free flowing box without the sharp bends found in the stock box.

I wonder if there is a way to install the rear tube without lifting/removing the engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Great, thanks a lot. It is very interesting to see what did they do to the inlet tubes and how the air travels in the air-box. Obviously free flowing box without the sharp bends found in the stock box.

I wonder if there is a way to install the rear tube without lifting/removing the engine.
    There is. You just need to lower the transmission apparently. A friend of mine had it done at a BMW dealership, they quoted 5 hours for the job. I hope the independent garage where I'll have it done are equally capable...Click here to enlarge

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (÷hlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is. You just need to lower the transmission apparently. A friend of mine had it done at a BMW dealership, they quoted 5 hours for the job. I hope the independent garage where I'll have it done are equally capable...Click here to enlarge

Alpina_B3_Lux
    That is good news again. I believe upgraded twins will benefit nicely from this. Great that there is a reasonable way to get it done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My ACT Street started slipping already after less than 5k miles, though I blame the install since it was problematic since day 1. Since I've decided to go with RBs, I want to be on the safe side so I've ordered the Clutch Masters FX850 Twin Disc Kevlar/Ceramic model. Former_Boosted has been running this for years with no issues, to include on his current single turbo setup. I should be putting it on next week and will let everyone know how it turns out.
    08 E92 335xi 6MT: Cobb/PTF Stage 3, RB Turbos, Aquamist HSF-4 @ 90/10, CM FX850, Quaife LSD, Suspension by Koni/TCK/Swift, CP-E Catless DPs, ETS 7" FMIC, BMS OCC, Stett CAI & CP/Forge DVs, UUC Evo3, OZ Alleggeritas/w PSS, H&R 20mm ASB, M3 SF bushings, Megan Racing control arms. Going on soon: WOTbox. Stett Oil Cooler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cyniclaus Click here to enlarge
    My ACT Street started slipping already after less than 5k miles, though I blame the install since it was problematic since day 1. Since I've decided to go with RBs, I want to be on the safe side so I've ordered the Clutch Masters FX850 Twin Disc Kevlar/Ceramic model. Former_Boosted has been running this for years with no issues, to include on his current single turbo setup. I should be putting it on next week and will let everyone know how it turns out.
    He hasn't driven much at all or hit the strip with that clutch though. Not bashing him at all just saying given quite a lot of bad feedback on other CM clutches on this car I'm looking forward to seeing how their twin disk does on your car. Are you planning on any drag strip fun with it?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    He hasn't driven much at all or hit the strip with that clutch though. Not bashing him at all just saying given quite a lot of bad feedback on other CM clutches on this car I'm looking forward to seeing how their twin disk does on your car. Are you planning on any drag strip fun with it?
    The car is intended to be a DD with occasional track use rather than drag strip queen, but I don't know that I can resist taking it to the strip at least once when everything is set up just to know what it's capable of. I reckon I'd need a WOTbox to make it meaningful. But I really don't want to be the guy who finds out what it takes to grenade the AWD system. Click here to enlarge

My tentative plan is once I get the RBs and meth set up I'll take the car up to Buffalo NY for a Pro Tune unless I can find a better option in the estimated 6-8 weeks before I'd be ready for that.

Obviously I considered the HPF clutches, but I'm still worried that the high power and x-drive would create too big of a risk of welding the feramic material. My mechanic/installer, who has built a few 10-sec AWD cars, said he wouldn't use anything but twin disc at these power levels. The obvious drawback is the chatter, but everyone I've heard from said it is not as bad as people make it out to be...I reckon I'll be able to make my own determination soon. I know the FX850 has also been used on some B5 S4s running over 600whp without issues.
    08 E92 335xi 6MT: Cobb/PTF Stage 3, RB Turbos, Aquamist HSF-4 @ 90/10, CM FX850, Quaife LSD, Suspension by Koni/TCK/Swift, CP-E Catless DPs, ETS 7" FMIC, BMS OCC, Stett CAI & CP/Forge DVs, UUC Evo3, OZ Alleggeritas/w PSS, H&R 20mm ASB, M3 SF bushings, Megan Racing control arms. Going on soon: WOTbox. Stett Oil Cooler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    my spec clutch stage 3 after about 30k miles. i also have the lighten flywheel

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here's my full story on that failed ACT 6 puck http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...065#post300065
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Turbos l JB4 G5 with MHD E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l Custom Exhaust l BMS Short Shifter l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
    Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7

'08 E60 MT Fully Loaded l JB4 G5 with BB Pump BEF l BMS DCI l 335is Clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

My ACT has started slipping so I'm in the market for a new clutch. I've narrowed it down to either the Spec stage 3+ with LWFW or the HPF Stage 2. The Spec will cost me $300 more than the HPF but I'm uncertain about its power handling ability and the number of failure stories on the internet. However I'm very keen to try out a lighter flywheel as I've had one on a previous car and I did like it a lot. HPF has had some excellent reviews and is a bit cheaper so I'm leaning towards it.

Has anyone with upgraded turbos used the Spec stage 3+? I'm struggling to find reviews of it on our platform...
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You need to add the trouble and cost of getting your stock fw resurfaced if you go with HPF. So the difference is not that much. Also in case you will have the car long and want to think long term, after the first resurface, the stock fw cannot be resurfaced any more, but the Spec fw can be resurfaced several times. If youšll need to buy a new stock fw that would become rather expensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thans for the reply, good point but I have only 12k miles on this stock fw as it was replaced with the clutch so I was hoping it was still ok. I've read that Spec has been good on certain platforms but have also heard a fair few negative reviews
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm putting a HPF stage 1 in this weekend, I'll report back on how it drives.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just pulled the trigger on the Spec Stage 3 + w/LW flywheel. Won't be installing till this fall but full review will follow.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I just pulled the trigger on the Spec Stage 3 + w/LW flywheel. Won't be installing till this fall but full review will follow.
    just remember what you are purchasing. since you went stage 3, you are sacrificing luxury (heavy dual mass flywheel *quiet*) for performance (light, single mass fly, has chatter at idle). now i'm not sure why you sent so high (in stages) when you don't even have upgraded turbos, but it could be smart if you plan to go for big power/torque in the future. good luck and i hope for a review after break in.

EDIT: nm, read your review thread. you plan on upping turbos, gratz.
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 07-20-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    just remember what you are purchasing. since you went stage 3, you are sacrificing luxury (heavy dual mass flywheel *quiet*) for performance (light, single mass fly, has chatter at idle). now i'm not sure why you sent so high (in stages) when you don't even have upgraded turbos, but it could be smart if you plan to go for big power/torque in the future. good luck and i hope for a review after break in.

EDIT: nm, read your review thread. you plan on upping turbos, gratz.
    +1

Rule of thumb when it comes to clutches, only get what you need right now...overdoing it on the clutch is a really bad idea
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @dzenno which do you find heavier for your left leg? your HPF stage 2 or the ACT you had previously?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    @dzenno which do you find heavier for your left leg? your HPF stage 2 or the ACT you had previously?
    HPF Stage 2 is just a touch heavier as far as I remember
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks bud, I'm still undecided between my options. I was swaying towards the spec stage 3+ option but I keep thinking about the (so far) proven ability of the HPF stage 2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Thanks bud, I'm still undecided between my options. I was swaying towards the spec stage 3+ option but I keep thinking about the (so far) proven ability of the HPF stage 2.
    On my car its rock solid on the street doing anything I want with it and i'm not shy with it Click here to enlarge Haven't had a chance to take it to the strip yet so putting up with hard launches with Hoosier DRs out back will remain to be seen...ACT put up amazingly well
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    On my car its rock solid on the street doing anything I want with it and i'm not shy with it Click here to enlarge Haven't had a chance to take it to the strip yet so putting up with hard launches with Hoosier DRs out back will remain to be seen...ACT put up amazingly well
    Your ACT did really well considering the amount of abuse/miles you got out of it. The HPF is also working out close to $300 cheaper due to the high shipping costs to the UK.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast