Close

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 256
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    65
    Rep Points
    95.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    It was an Exedy twin plate as far as I recall on an Evo 9
    Really? That clutch setup is pretty much the standard for modded Evos, and it hasn't been too bad on the cars I've driven it with. It's much easier to drive than a powerful single plate clutch setup on those cars.
    Current: 2012 CTS-V - stock for now
    Past: 2009 135i 6MT - JB4, bolt ons, meth, E85

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,297
    Rep Points
    2,756.8
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Clutch will not fuse itself, believe me lol. I think only CM sells a lightweight flywheel at the moment.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    977
    Rep Points
    779.1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    why does the rattle seem to bother everyone? I come from racecars so it doesnt bother me in the slightest. I just turn the AC on or turn the radio up. I have so many other things on my mind I forget all about it after a day or two.


    My diesel truck made so many noises when I first got it, I thought it was gonna break down on me. After driving it for 5 months, I now notice when I hear 'new' noises, and the old noises, well I kinda forget what they were that bothered me in the first place Click here to enlarge
    nice, what diesel you get?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,101
    Rep Points
    1,398.2
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I was worrying about the clutch (without any reason) but after logging speed in each gear with JB4 I could compare the ratio between rpm and speed and prove it isn't slipping at all Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,297
    Rep Points
    2,756.8
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    nice, what diesel you get?
    1996 dodge ram 2500. 5spd 4x4 extended cab, 8ft bed. Good ol dinosaur 12 valve motor Click here to enlarge


    While im out in San Diego on vacation, its in PA getting compound turbos put on Click here to enlarge

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    139
    Rep Points
    126.3
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Only other clutch i would consider is the clutchmasters FX300... they make a lightweight flywheel too.

    But i sell more ACT SD's than anything. my $.02

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    349
    Rep Points
    544.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kai @ AR Design Click here to enlarge
    Only other clutch i would consider is the clutchmasters FX300... they make a lightweight flywheel too.

    But i sell more ACT SD's than anything. my $.02
    I would not recommend CM, I'm not happy at all with the FX300. Loads of juddering, and slips after some laps on the track.

    Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

    Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    937
    Rep Points
    562.7
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    someone couple a spec or CM LWFW to the ACT and report back.

    BTW, here's the best price I found for DM:
    NM, can't post links... $637

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,914
    Rep Points
    1,353.5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I plan to try Sachs SRE.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    977
    Rep Points
    779.1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    1996 dodge ram 2500. 5spd 4x4 extended cab, 8ft bed. Good ol dinosaur 12 valve motor Click here to enlarge


    While im out in San Diego on vacation, its in PA getting compound turbos put on Click here to enlarge
    hope your putting the long bed to use. they're a pita otherwise.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,297
    Rep Points
    2,756.8
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    hope your putting the long bed to use. they're a pita otherwise.
    Its got a gooseneck ball in the bed Click here to enlarge

    Prolly gonna redo it and put the B&W removable hitch in the bed, need the storage space back lol

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Points
    0.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    "any good lightweight flywheels to pair with hpf stage 1? Car wont be dragged at all, mostly road courses and mexico runs, but may launch it hard every now and then. I'm not sure if the clutch getting fused should be a worry for me"

    Hey mate,

    I have used our 10 kg single-mass chromoly steel "Street/Strip" flywheel with the HPF Stage 2 "Feramic" clutch.

    I had previously used the ACT "Street" clutch on the OE dual-mass unit.

    The HPF unit used in conjunction with our "Single Mass Steel" flywheel is quite streetable and the HPF Stage 2 clutch, will hold more torque than than the ACT.

    That being said the ACT is without a doubt the best bang for your buck clutch option currently available.

    If you have no intention of ever drag racing I would recommend the HPF unit.

    However if you intend on 1/4 mile racing on drag radials, look elsewhere or use the ACT "Street", as the HPF unit is highly susceptible to welding, when the car is launched hard on drag radials.

    Trust me, I know...

    Cheers,

    JD.

    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Points
    0.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Hi guys,

    I should have mentioned that in addition to the 10 kg "Street/Strip" version, that we are using in our 135i at the moment (soon to be swapped out for our OS Giken twin-plate) we can also do a truly lighweight 7.5 kg "Track" version.

    As mentioned previously our flywheels are machined from a single piece of chromoly steel, that is subsequently nitrided and in doing so further increases its durability.

    The OE starter motor ring-gear is retained and press fitted by the same method employed by BMW.

    Alternatively for those guys that cannot supply us with their OE ring-gear, we can machine the starter teeth into the flywheel at an additional cost.

    We can manufacture either version of the flywheel in a "8 bolt" or "6 bolt" design for suitability to your application.

    Lastly whilst we have used three different configurations of clutch & pressure plate assembly with our single-mass flywheel, the best result with regards the reduction of chatter or gear rattle, would come from using a friction plate with a spring dampened centre hub.

    We are looking into developing one of these ourselves, as they are the ideal match for our single-mass non dampened flywheels.

    Here are a few more pics of our 10 kg unit and the HPF Stage 2 "Feramic" clutch, that was uninstalled following some drama at the drag strip on two consecutive outings, sigh...

    Cheers,

    JD.

    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,686
    Rep Points
    31,529.4
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Justin@Advan performance Click here to enlarge
    "any good lightweight flywheels to pair with hpf stage 1? Car wont be dragged at all, mostly road courses and mexico runs, but may launch it hard every now and then. I'm not sure if the clutch getting fused should be a worry for me"

    Hey mate,

    I have used our 10 kg single-mass chromoly steel "Street/Strip" flywheel with the HPF Stage 2 "Feramic" clutch.

    I had previously used the ACT "Street" clutch on the OE dual-mass unit.

    The HPF unit used in conjunction with our "Single Mass Steel" flywheel is quite streetable and the HPF Stage 2 clutch, will hold more torque than than the ACT.

    That being said the ACT is without a doubt the best bang for your buck clutch option currently available.

    If you have no intention of ever drag racing I would recommend the HPF unit.

    However if you intend on 1/4 mile racing on drag radials, look elsewhere or use the ACT "Street", as the HPF unit is highly susceptible to welding, when the car is launched hard on drag radials.

    Trust me, I know...

    Cheers,

    JD.
    Set to guest vendor. I'll leave your posts in place for now.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Forget about the CM stuff on an N54...way too many reported failures and issues including one on my car as well
    Click here to enlarge

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    your best bet are act and spec.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,853
    Rep Points
    2,387.6
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I see a lot of people using the ACT HDSD but at my current and future planned torque levels I'm not confident it will hold. has anyone used the 6 puck clutch? Does it come sprung? i'm only seeing it unsprung. What do you guys think about DD a 6 puck unsprung clutch?
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,686
    Rep Points
    31,529.4
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    What do you guys think about DD a 6 puck unsprung clutch?
    Bump

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    going any puck clutch will be less DD'able than a full face. they are made for a race purpose and do better in that format.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Posts
    88
    Rep Points
    159.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Just got done fusing my ACT 6 puck to my flywheel over the weekend. Clutch worked very well with minimal shudder for a few hundred miles until I threw drag radials on and did a burnout at the track. I'm hoping ACT will stand behind it's product and give me a new disc but I'm not sure if I want to put anything ACT back in there with how much work it is to drop this tranny and put it back on.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,686
    Rep Points
    31,529.4
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by prelude2perfect Click here to enlarge
    'm hoping ACT will stand behind it's product and give me a new disc
    Let us know exactly what happens.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by prelude2perfect Click here to enlarge
    Just got done fusing my ACT 6 puck to my flywheel over the weekend. Clutch worked very well with minimal shudder for a few hundred miles until I threw drag radials on and did a burnout at the track. I'm hoping ACT will stand behind it's product and give me a new disc but I'm not sure if I want to put anything ACT back in there with how much work it is to drop this tranny and put it back on.
    That's what happened with my clutchmasters fx400 with their alum flywheel...CM warrantied it as it was only 2000miles on the car...mine died on a parking lot...ran the organic ACT after never a single issue...now on the hpf feramic stg2 we'll see how it does at the 1/4, havent been yet as the car's been down since march
    Click here to enlarge

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,857
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm still limping on my stock clutch....it's fine but slips once in a while....I want to try and get through the summer with it and get a new clutch in the fall.

    I'm still researching and am stuck between act and HPF. Also, I'm thinking of ordering rb's this winter so that will influence my decision....I'll be interested to see if act warrants that issue @prelude2perfect
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    349
    Rep Points
    544.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Forget about the CM stuff on an N54...way too many reported failures and issues including one on my car as well
    I'm going from ClutchMasters to HPF at the end of July. At the same time, the replica Alpina airbox and intake tubing will also be installed (at least that's the plan).

    Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

    Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    I'm going from ClutchMasters to HPF at the end of July. At the same time, the replica Alpina airbox and intake tubing will also be installed (at least that's the plan).

    Alpina_B3_Lux
    Which rep airbox and intake tubing are you thinking of going with?
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •