Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

N54 upgraded clutch options?

I was at Autocouture motoring back in Feb getting the car checked over, oil change, coolant flush, etc. and Tom had mentioned my clutch felt like it was going. I figured I could get through the summer with it but now it's driving me nuts and I just want to upgrade it.

My car is a FBO Cobb stg2 car that is not my daily and never sees the track. I want a clutch that will handle my power now, handle rb's if I ever need to replace the stock turbos, and most of all, no sacrifice in drivability. Since this car is a street car, I really want the "stock clutch feel".

I'm between the HPF stg 1 clutch and the ACT street. My only concern is I've read alot of bad reviews on the ACT street clutch. A lot of people say it chatters, the clutch pedal feel isn't stock at all, and it actually feels like 50% of the initial clutch pedal travel is extremely light/loose feeling and then tightens up and engages. The cost of the act is attractive, but I'd rather spend more to be happy.

With the HPF, it sounds like the drivability is great, very close to stock and stg 1 can handle 600whp/550wtq so my pump only rb's would be fine. I can't really find many people with the HPF clutch.

Any opinions from those running upgraded clutches would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

ACT Street is the closest you'll get to stock feel and more holding capacity. It'll hold with RBs too but if you're going all out that torque will take its toll on it. I'd recommend in your case to go with the HPF Stg1 and make sure to get the supporting hardware bits (tranny housing bolts, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch fork). Try to resurface your flywheel if you can as they're expensive new. If its in bad condition already then go with the one online made by LUK (they make them for BMW just no markup/bmw tax).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

in order to make the pedal feel nearly like stock pressure you need to modify to fulcrum point. i am running spec's stage2+ clutch/pressure plate and it's held this upgraded turbo torque perfectly.. going above 2+ though means you need to run a single mass fly. what i like about spec is they have a clutch for about every level of power. anyway, everyone will give you their 'unbiased' opinion of which clutch to choose bobS, but really the choice is up to you. from your mod list it looks like the car isn't on the extreme side of things so any clutch choice will probably work out for the best. good luck.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    ACT Street is the closest you'll get to stock feel and more holding capacity. It'll hold with RBs too but if you're going all out that torque will take its toll on it. I'd recommend in your case to go with the HPF Stg1 and make sure to get the supporting hardware bits (tranny housing bolts, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch fork). Try to resurface your flywheel if you can as they're expensive new. If its in bad condition already then go with the one online made by LUK (they make them for BMW just no markup/bmw tax).
    I've read on the other forum that people hate the feel of the ACT street clutch.... What clutch do you run Dzenno?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I have no experience with a clutch, but..
    How often would one need to change it? how many miles has the stock lasted, and considered going with stock again?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I've read on the other forum that people hate the feel of the ACT street clutch.... What clutch do you run Dzenno?
    To be honest, i was very impressed with the ACT clutch just as many others...closest to stock feel you can get...next closest is stg1 from hpf...

currently i'm running hpf stg2 and like it a lot BUT it is stiffer than stock due to the clamping load on the pressure plate which I entirely knew/expected...holding 500+lb/ft of torque isn't a small feast for a single plate clutch and this one does it marvelously

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Ive sold more ACT clutches out of my last job than I can shake a stick at...prolly all of them had no complaints whatsoever. Sure it is a slight bit firmer, but its not overly bearing on the legs. I would pair any clutch set with a one piece flywheel (steel or aluminum), getting rid of that dual mass garbage does free up some rotational mass.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

i like the dual mass flywheel man...yes the car does rev more freely with a single mass but the rattle sucks in a daily driver that sees considerable stop/go traffic, at least to me...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

why does the rattle seem to bother everyone? I come from racecars so it doesnt bother me in the slightest. I just turn the AC on or turn the radio up. I have so many other things on my mind I forget all about it after a day or two.

My diesel truck made so many noises when I first got it, I thought it was gonna break down on me. After driving it for 5 months, I now notice when I hear 'new' noises, and the old noises, well I kinda forget what they were that bothered me in the first place Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    How often would one need to change it? how many miles has the stock lasted, and considered going with stock again?
    My stock one has lasted 50k miles, it really depends on how hard you beat on it, but the nice thing is, it's easy to upgrade and relatively inexpensive. I did consider stock but even at just pump fbo I think it's a better idea to upgrade.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

To be honest, i was very impressed with the ACT clutch just as many others...closest to stock feel you can get...next closest is stg1 from hpf...

currently i'm running hpf stg2 and like it a lot BUT it is stiffer than stock due to the clamping load on the pressure plate which I entirely knew/expected...holding 500+lb/ft of torque isn't a small feast for a single plate clutch and this one does it marvelously
    Ok so maybe I will go with the ACT, I'll call ACM tomorrow and get a quote for either HPF or ACT and decide.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Act 6-puck and resurfaced stock flywheel would be my next choice (I'm running CM fx400 kit with lighten flywheel) it's pretty harsh maybe a little too much I'm switching to a act unit this fall
    JB4/FBO/METH/ 12.04@118 6spd MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    why does the rattle seem to bother everyone? I come from racecars so it doesnt bother me in the slightest. I just turn the AC on or turn the radio up.
    I run the AC maybe 2-3 months in a year and drive the car year round. Radio is also most of the time turned off for me before/after work as I like the sound of the car more most of the time...just different strokes

I guess if you don't see a lot of stop/go traffic you'd be ok..not the case for me

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

before one week i installed the act 6-puck. the act street kit its perfect but it lasts only 10,000klm.the pedal is the same but is kicking a little in the begining. if you can start with more rpm there is no problem

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Good point. A new stock clutch might hold a lot of torque. And it has more of a stock feel than ACT. Remember, Big Tom is running the original stock clutch after beating the hell out of his car more tens of thousands of kms and he must have one of the highest torque N54s. Mr. 5 had strong stock turbo car with >500 lbft. Big Tom must run above 500 as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

currently i'm running hpf stg2 and like it a lot BUT it is stiffer than stock due to the clamping load on the pressure plate which I entirely knew/expected...
    I drove an HPF stage 2 this week-end for a short time and it is indeed quite a bit stiffer than OEM, I would say about 50%. My ClutchMasters FX300 is about 25% stiffer I would say. The HPF would be a bit too stiff for me in frequent stop&go travel (which I see a lot), but it can certainly hold anything you throw at it.

My ClutchMasters judders like hell when I engage it (first gear + reverse), and it starts to slip when you pound on it for some time (I did again 8 laps on the Nürburgring on Sunday and in the latest lap it started to slip again). I would definitely not recommend it.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Öhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I have CM FX400. It likes to stutter and very hard to start rolling without stuttering. That being said I still kinda like it. Holds all of my estimated 500-520lbs of torque very well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

HPF's stg1 is half the clamping force of the stg2 and should be easier on the leg...having said that i really dont mind tge stg2 pedal pressure, totally fine to me...is it different and harder, yes, but these things you get used to very very fast and stop to notice them...i've driven a car with a twin plate recently and THAT is a HEAVY clutch!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    I drove an HPF stage 2 this week-end for a short time and it is indeed quite a bit stiffer than OEM, I would say about 50%. My ClutchMasters FX300 is about 25% stiffer I would say. The HPF would be a bit too stiff for me in frequent stop&go travel (which I see a lot), but it can certainly hold anything you throw at it.

My ClutchMasters judders like hell when I engage it (first gear + reverse), and it starts to slip when you pound on it for some time (I did again 8 laps on the Nürburgring on Sunday and in the latest lap it started to slip again). I would definitely not recommend it.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Good to know, thanks. Right now I'm leaning towards ACT, I'm gonna give ACM a call next week to discuss it. I bet I'll need a new flywheel, my clutch engagement is pretty sloppy right now lol
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

HPF's stg1 is half the clamping force of the stg2 and should be easier on the leg...having said that i really dont mind tge stg2 pedal pressure, totally fine to me...is it different and harder, yes, but these things you get used to very very fast and stop to notice them...i've driven a car with a twin plate recently and THAT is a HEAVY clutch!
    I don't have any problems with the HPF Stage 2, either. You get used to the pedal pressure quickly. I drive my car daily to work and that's about 10 miles through a bunch of stop lights.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I don't have any problems with the HPF Stage 2, either. You get used to the pedal pressure quickly. I drive my car daily to work and that's about 10 miles through a bunch of stop lights.
    Yeah, but try being in a traffic jam for one hour, then you will not be happy with a heavy clutch. And I also need my gf to be able to drive that car, she already needs two hands to put in reverse lol

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Öhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

...i've driven a car with a twin plate recently and THAT is a HEAVY clutch!

Which clutch was that? Ive done OS Gikens setups in two M3s, one is a street PP that has OEM pedL feel, and the other was a Turner Motorsports Grand AM spec one, which bumped the pedal by 20% id say. Even so, both were very easy to engage, the street PP being like a stock clutch, and it has twin copper unsprung discs!!

There is a little chatter/judder if you feed the clutch out too low, but a little RPM solves everything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    Which clutch was that? Ive done OS Gikens setups in two M3s, one is a street PP that has OEM pedL feel, and the other was a Turner Motorsports Grand AM spec one, which bumped the pedal by 20% id say. Even so, both were very easy to engage, the street PP being like a stock clutch, and it has twin copper unsprung discs!!

There is a little chatter/judder if you feed the clutch out too low, but a little RPM solves everything.
    It was an Exedy twin plate as far as I recall on an Evo 9

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

It was an Exedy twin plate as far as I recall on an Evo 9
    Lol that would explain it. Those clutches are always heavy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

any good lightweight flywheels to pair with hpf stage 1? Car wont be dragged at all, mostly road courses and mexico runs, but may launch it hard every now and then. I'm not sure if the clutch getting fused should be a worry for me

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast