Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Walnut blasting of intake valves *pics inside*

With almost 80.000 kms on the odo, no meth, no oil catch can, I took the time one evening last week to clean the intake valves on my car with the help of a friend and with the original walnut blasting device as used by BMW dealers (thanks to Alpina B3 Lux for providing this!).

Removing the airbox and intake manifold was quite some work, as lots of cables and tubes need to be disconnected. It took us a good hour before we could glimpse at the valves, which looked like this:

Click here to enlarge

Another cylinder:

Click here to enlarge

A LOT of carbon buildup there. Even on the walls there were 1-2mm thick deposits.

With the walnut blasting device, cleaning this mess worked like a breeze. It takes a bit of patience to reach every spot, but the result speaks for itself:

Click here to enlarge

Unfortuntely I didn't take more pics, but the valves look like new after the cleaning! Impressive to say the least.

And now to the most important part, the driving impressions! And holy crap, the difference was VERY noticable, lots more than I expected. The throttle response is way better and the engine revs up smoother. It just feels more "alive". I've seen dynos displaying around 10whp gains after a cleaning, which is very plausible.

In my opinion this is a mandatory maintenance job every 50.000 kms. Overall I'm 100% happy with how things turned out, the engine feels like new again.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if a simple cleanup like this opens up noticeable power imagine what a good port job on the cylinder head does Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wish someone offers this service in Chicago area. Click here to enlarge
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Mine looked like that also. Gotta love the walnut blast, so much cleaner than scrubbing. I borescoped my intakes after ~15000km and they were dirty, but not covered like they were at 50k when I first did the cleaning. Concur on the 40-50k interval.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    if a simple cleanup like this opens up noticeable power imagine what a good port job on the cylinder head does Click here to enlarge
    Yes I realized that! Engine power lies in the head, engine strength in the bottom end.

Did you also polish the intake channels on your engine? The surface there seems a bit rough. Although I remember reading somewhere that a bit of air turbulences can be benefical to some extend. What's your take on this?
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    I wish someone offers this service in Chicago area. Click here to enlarge
    There was a guy close to Chicago on the other forum that bought a Harbor Freight unit and did his own, I was tempted to see how much he'd charge to do mine if I drove up there (~6hrs each way though). Be nice if a shop would offer a deal on multiple cars, I have seen a few threads trying to set that up but it was on the East coast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would only trust a professional, well established shop to do this. Media blasting is no joke. If done incorrectly, it can damage the spark plugs, the injectors and if it is not cleaned properly from the cylinders, it can cause major problems.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We do it here. We bought the actual BMW tool, it was a little over $1000 Click here to enlarge

Comes with the port tools for both Mini and the N54 motor.

Ill put up some pictures today, you have no idea what ive seen the past 3 weeks...im surprised some of these cars dont get misfire codes or overly rich codes due to the carbon blocking the path.

I did Sals old 135, a car that sat idling for most of its 51k life so far...the new owner said the car would stumble and bog, especially under full throttle. It also sputtered pretty bad on cold start. All of those problems went away after we cleaned them, and he said the car had a tremendous improvement in acceleration and idle quality.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    I would only trust a professional, well established shop to do this. Media blasting is no joke. If done incorrectly, it can damage the spark plugs, the injectors and if it is not cleaned properly from the cylinders, it can cause major problems.
    You have to make sure the valves are closed before working on each cylinder. We used the starter to turn the crank to the needed position. And of course close all tube openings and the other cylinders with tape. It's really not rocket science if you're a bit DIY-able.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    You have to make sure the valves are closed before working on each cylinder. We used the starter to turn the crank to the needed position. And of course close all tube openings and the other cylinders with tape. It's really not rocket science if you're a bit DIY-able.

I know what you mean. You can turn the engine with the crank bolt as well. Click here to enlarge I just don't see myself purchasing all of the equipment as I don't have an air compressor yet.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    We do it here. We bought the actual BMW tool, it was a little over $1000 Click here to enlarge

Comes with the port tools for both Mini and the N54 motor.

Ill put up some pictures today, you have no idea what ive seen the past 3 weeks...im surprised some of these cars dont get misfire codes or overly rich codes due to the carbon blocking the path.

I did Sals old 135, a car that sat idling for most of its 51k life so far...the new owner said the car would stumble and bog, especially under full throttle. It also sputtered pretty bad on cold start. All of those problems went away after we cleaned them, and he said the car had a tremendous improvement in acceleration and idle quality.
    So if my car idles perfectly, doesn't have any drivability issues, my car likely doesn't need a valve cleaning, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had my valves cleaned at about 49k miles, cus it was misfiring under WOT w/JB4. Now I'm at 73k miles, and I think I might have to get my valves cleaned again within the next 10-15k miles, as it idles a bit rought sometimes. I hate this $#@!ing $#@!. They need to find a solution for this carbon build up bull$#@! on these DI engines. Hate this $#@!ing engine sometimes, I've had so many problems with it.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    I had my valves cleaned at about 49k miles, cus it was misfiring under WOT w/JB4. Now I'm at 73k miles, and I think I might have to get my valves cleaned again within the next 10-15k miles, as it idles a bit rought sometimes. I hate this $#@!ing $#@!. They need to find a solution for this carbon build up bull$#@! on these DI engines. Hate this $#@!ing engine sometimes, I've had so many problems with it.....
    Plugs? Coils?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's not bad enough yet to look into the matter further. I just feel a little bit rough idle sometimes, but nothing crazy. Eventually it might get to that point. It might just be the plugs though, I cant even remember when was the last times my plugs got changed lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    So if my car idles perfectly, doesn't have any drivability issues, my car likely doesn't need a valve cleaning, right?

perhaps. I did a cleaning on a 135 track car, his valves were surprisingly very clean compared to the others. It still had some hard baked on buildup but no where near what the rest was.

I believe the PCV system closes at periods of full throttle or when in boost...being a track car and being at full throttle most times, I can only suspect this as the reason. It had 30k on it. The more a car sits around and idles or cruises in vacuum, the more deposits you will accumulate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great that it worked so well and the results are excellent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    With almost 80.000 kms on the odo, no meth, no oil catch can, I took the time one evening last week to clean the intake valves on my car with the help of a friend and with the original walnut blasting device as used by BMW dealers (thanks to Alpina B3 Lux for providing this!).

Removing the airbox and intake manifold was quite some work, as lots of cables and tubes need to be disconnected. It took us a good hour before we could glimpse at the valves, which looked like this:

Another cylinder:

And now to the most important part, the driving impressions! And holy crap, the difference was VERY noticable, lots more than I expected. The throttle response is way better and the engine revs up smoother. It just feels more "alive". I've seen dynos displaying around 10whp gains after a cleaning, which is very plausible.
    That looks really good. I think you had quite a bit more carbon buildup than I had on my car.

I also find it really cool that the result is immediately felt when driving the car - it was similar for me but it's good to get that confirmed as there are still people doubting this procedure.

Did you by any chance do a photo of the adapter that I had purchased in the meantime? Would be good if I were able to add that to my own initial report.

Looking forward to offering that service to other 335i / 135i guys near Luxembourg.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Matt@AUTOCouture
    @Alpina_B3_Lux

Dont mean to thread jack but can of you gentlemen direct me to where I can purchase the adapter?
    I already have the blaster tank and plumbing. I just need the adapter/tool that hooks up to the vac.
    Pic here..
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-cleaning-tool

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    @Matt@AUTOCouture
    @Alpina_B3_Lux

Dont mean to thread jack but can of you gentlemen direct me to where I can purchase the adapter?
    I already have the blaster tank and plumbing. I just need the adapter/tool that hooks up to the vac.
    Pic here..
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-cleaning-tool
    You can order it here: http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/bmw-...e_2740332.html

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    You can order it here: http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/bmw-...e_2740332.html

Alpina_B3_Lux
    You are the man! Thanks!
    Repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

O.P. How many pounds of shells did you go through. I just bought a portable blasting setup from Harbor Freight and I got 25lbs of the crushed walnut shells. Do you guys think this will be enough?

Matt, how much do you normally use for a car?

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    O.P. How many pounds of shells did you go through. I just bought a portable blasting setup from Harbor Freight and I got 25lbs of the crushed walnut shells. Do you guys think this will be enough?

Matt, how much do you normally use for a car?

Thanks!
    The harbor freight one might not be enough to clean it off...the BMW one is up around 100psi, ive gotten blasted by it by accident when the adaptor fell out by..it hurt Click here to enlarge

25lbs might be enough, It depends on how bad it is. Really bad cars Ive had to go over them once or twice, and consume a box, box and a half. Some cars I can get away with half a box. Im working something out with a local supplier to get it in 50lb bags, and stock up on it as its a lot cheaper than Harbor Freight blasting media.

You also need the FINE grit, not the COARSE one...that is too big.

Why didnt you just bring your car here? We were doin a promo for $499 including new intake gaskets. You will need to crank the motor by hand to close the valves that are open, so you can do those cylinders as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @alpinedevil335

I replied in your other thread. I have an extra one at the shop, I'll sell it to ya.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    it was similar for me but it's good to get that confirmed as there are still people doubting this procedure.
    Alpina_B3_Lux
    Doubting it? How? LostMarine verified it by gaining an extra 11hp on the dyno. Countless customers of mine have noticed an immediate difference the second they took off in the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    @alpinedevil335

I replied in your other thread. I have an extra one at the shop, I'll sell it to ya.
    Replied. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast