Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

1/4 Mile Log Review with Time slips

Can you log experts take a look at my 1/4 logs and let me know what you think? I changed the extension from .csv to .pdf to upload them.

First run: Missed 2nd and it bogged shifting from 3rd to 4th.

Click here to enlarge

Second run: missed second.

Click here to enlarge

Granny shifted 2nd.

Click here to enlarge

Got ballsy and tried to launch at 3k rpm and spun entire 1st gear and then missed 2nd...

Click here to enlarge

Yeah, I know I need more practice driving...

Going to change my transmission fluid and try Royal Purple to see if it helps with my 2nd gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

The 330' tells you how successful you are going into 2nd on a manual. Based on that you're leaving a lot on the table there. You may want to invest in NLS. There is a standalone unit called WOTbox. With that 60' you should be in the lower 5s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

can't open any of the PDFs for some reason on my mac...

+100 on the WOTBox

Also, make sure you do that 3-4 shift as your RPM needle hits 6100rpm
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Your IATs are very high for having a Helix FMIC. 150 degrees at the end of the run is probably causing the timing drops in your log.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    can't open any of the PDFs for some reason on my mac...

+100 on the WOTBox

Also, make sure you do that 3-4 shift as your RPM needle hits 6100rpm
    It's actually a .csv file that I renamed .pdf to be able to post it.

Looking into WOTBox now.

I'll try shifting at 6100 next time. Thanks!
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Your IATs are very high for having a Helix FMIC. 150 degrees at the end of the run is probably causing the timing drops in your log.
    What could be causing this? It was about 78-80 degrees that night and I had about an hour wait between runs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    What could be causing this? It was about 78-80 degrees that night and I had about an hour wait between runs.
    basically heat soak and not running meth for IAT suppression...your starting IATs are 119-120F so a 30F rise without meth isn't bad at all...however, your starting IATs are killing it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Not sure. When you started run 3, your IATs were already 142.7. After the run, 40 seconds later your IAT was 149.45. Not a huge increase for a 1/4 run but 149.45 in iteslf seems pretty high to me. Your IATs had dropped to 125.15 by the end of the log so I'm not sure what's going on. 120-130 was pretty normal for me with Cobb at the drag strip with my AP FMIC in 70-80 temps.

Experts, feel free to chime in on this as I am curious now too.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Were you idling for a long time before the run? This will increase IATs really fast as there is no air blowing into the FMIC for it to cool the intake air.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Were you idling for a long time before the run? This will increase IATs really fast as there is no air blowing into the FMIC for it to cool the intake air.
    Yeah. I usually turn my car off and push to near the start, but sometimes I'm waiting a lot longer that others. I wasn't running meth these runs because I had too much flow/nozzles. I've removed one nozzle since and might try some meth runs after I fix my transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yeah. I usually turn my car off and push to near the start, but sometimes I'm waiting a lot longer that others. I wasn't running meth these runs because I had too much flow/nozzles. I've removed one nozzle since and might try some meth runs after I fix my transmission.
    This may help you a bit to bring the heat down:

1. After the traps coast as much as possible at high speed, gets the hot air out of the engine bay pretty quick
    2. Open your windows and blast the defrost max heat on your trip back to the staging lanes
    3. If you're doing this regularly and don't want meth, you could look at the 335is fan upgrade
    4. In the staging lanes, make sure to open the hood and drive forward like that, unless it's a very short line, in which case I park for a few minutes every other run. Heat rises, and this can help a lot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    This may help you a bit to bring the heat down:

1. After the traps coast as much as possible at high speed, gets the hot air out of the engine bay pretty quick
    2. Open your windows and blast the defrost max heat on your trip back to the staging lanes
    3. If you're doing this regularly and don't want meth, you could look at the 335is fan upgrade
    4. In the staging lanes, make sure to open the hood and drive forward like that, unless it's a very short line, in which case I park for a few minutes every other run. Heat rises, and this can help a lot.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try some next time I'm out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Do you find that second gear is very hard to hit and do you have the cdv delete?

I had my 08 335xi 6MT from new for about 3yrs and my buddy had an 08 xi as well and we both had $#@!ty 2nd gear synchros that made it impossible to hit a quick upshift. Recently I drove a 335i from a guy at work and beat on the 6MT pretty good and it was perfect. Even with a stock shifter and 60k + miles it was worlds ahead of my 08 when it was new. In short, my buddy and I got screwed with a defective syncho on 2nd.

If your 2nd gear upshifts seem unusally bad, you might be in the same boat. Try to get someone else with a 6mt 335 to let you drive their car and see for yourself.

One trick that helped my drag racing re 2nd gear was to stage, rev like mad and rip the shifter back and forth from 1st to second a few times with the clutch in, right before the lights came down. Hitting second is a bit easier but you have to do it right before launching. Makes the guy dropping the lights on the tree wonder wtf you're up to but it helps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I have the same problem on hard 1-2 upshifts..what oil are you guys running in your gearboxes? Also 2008 here
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Do you find that second gear is very hard to hit and do you have the cdv delete?

I had my 08 335xi 6MT from new for about 3yrs and my buddy had an 08 xi as well and we both had $#@!ty 2nd gear synchros that made it impossible to hit a quick upshift. Recently I drove a 335i from a guy at work and beat on the 6MT pretty good and it was perfect. Even with a stock shifter and 60k + miles it was worlds ahead of my 08 when it was new. In short, my buddy and I got screwed with a defective syncho on 2nd.

If your 2nd gear upshifts seem unusally bad, you might be in the same boat. Try to get someone else with a 6mt 335 to let you drive their car and see for yourself.

One trick that helped my drag racing re 2nd gear was to stage, rev like mad and rip the shifter back and forth from 1st to second a few times with the clutch in, right before the lights came down. Hitting second is a bit easier but you have to do it right before launching. Makes the guy dropping the lights on the tree wonder wtf you're up to but it helps.
    Haha, I'll try that next time.

Anyone know how much it is to replace a syncro?

I have the same problem on hard 1-2 upshifts..what oil are you guys running in your gearboxes? Also 2008 here
    I'm going to try Royal Purple. Right now, I have the stock stuff that came with the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

What tires were you on?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Haha, I'll try that next time.

Anyone know how much it is to replace a syncro?

I'm going to try Royal Purple. Right now, I have the stock stuff that came with the car.
    Fwiw i was always told these 6MTs are not servicable and dont have replacement parts available, at least via BMW. I went 6AT on my 2011 but I'd be interested in knowing if someone does service them.

FWIW I tried royal purple and it did help a small amount, maybe 10%. But when I said 2nd gear was impossible to hit, Im not kidding, it would miss no lie about 95% of the time so I stopped trying except at the track using that crazy procedure. The oil is easy to change and cheap but it wont help significantly if your trans was like mine. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What tires were you on?
    I use Toyo drag radials for the track.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Fwiw i was always told these 6MTs are not servicable and dont have replacement parts available, at least via BMW. I went 6AT on my 2011 but I'd be interested in knowing if someone does service them.

FWIW I tried royal purple and it did help a small amount, maybe 10%. But when I said 2nd gear was impossible to hit, Im not kidding, it would miss no lie about 95% of the time so I stopped trying except at the track using that crazy procedure. The oil is easy to change and cheap but it wont help significantly if your trans was like mine. Click here to enlarge
    Damn, thanks for the info. Guess I'll just try it and see if mine's as bad as yours was =(

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I'm looking into NLS/2 Step right now. Apparently while you are NLS it lines your syncros up and makes it easier than regular shifting. Dzenno posted somewhere else that his shifts are super smooth now. He's using a WOTbox.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I see you have SSK. I read a couple different people having trouble missing shifts with those. That's kept me from purchasing it so far. Did you have these troubles before the SSK?

I use Toyo drag radials for the track.

Damn, thanks for the info. Guess I'll just try it and see if mine's as bad as yours was =(

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

I see you have SSK. I read a couple different people having trouble missing shifts with those. That's kept me from purchasing it so far. Did you have these troubles before the SSK?
    I never had problems before and after the SSK. They only recently started happening. I'm thinking it might be from launching in 2nd gear a couple times. I tried it out because I have the 3.46 gearing, but now I'm thinking that might be what messed up my syncros.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Ouch. That sucks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I'm looking into NLS/2 Step right now. Apparently while you are NLS it lines your syncros up and makes it easier than regular shifting. Dzenno posted somewhere else that his shifts are super smooth now. He's using a WOTbox.
    NLS will not line up your synchros or anything. What happens is it cuts ignition power to the coils. When that happens engine off loads completely making it easier to make that shift as the drivetrain/engine aren't under any load so its a lot easier on the clutch then doing the same thing and not having it wired in.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

What the hell went 10.90 at 132 with a 2.0? 60? Lol I cam think of something that went less then a tenth faster with the same trap and a 1.5 60. Should show people just how much a certain car is set up wrongClick here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

NLS will not line up your synchros or anything. What happens is it cuts ignition power to the coils. When that happens engine off loads completely making it easier to make that shift as the drivetrain/engine aren't under any load so its a lot easier on the clutch then doing the same thing and not having it wired in.
    Nls will kill your clutch. Don't believe the bull$#@! you read from the people selling things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast