Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New M3 will have an inline 6

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I'm the only one that sees it differently. The M3 had a 6 cylinder engine used most of the time so it's more like them going back to their "roots" than anything else. Although I don't really care since BMW has nothing to get excited over anytime soon from an enthusiasts perspective. It's all about the game of how can we give them less but charge more every single year.
    6 cylinder used most of the time? IT STARTED WITH A 4 CYLINDER.

What is with people and thinking the I6 is the only engine for an M3? It's idiotic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Weird, never saw M cars having problems with mods before. If you mean cheap mods, sure.

I think it would be great if we had the choice instead of it being made for us. You know, like what Porsche is able to offer?

Unless you think the turbo is a better car than the GT3? Because I don't. I kind of like instant response, flat curves, and high revs.
    Dude, all I ever hear you talk about is 1/4 mile times. Now you are saying the gt3 is better(which I agree) than the turbo? Explain please.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    No one is certain it's a n54, n55 motor, although it seems likely. Btw, what do you think BMW did with the e30 m3? That motor is based on a motor in the regular 3 series, same with the next gen e36 US version m3.
    The S14 was a motor taken to the limit, it has nothing in common with any standard base motor other than the M10 block mated to S38 cylinder heads cut short. What base motor is like that? None I can think of, the S14 is special and a real M motor unlike the N54 or N55 which is in everything. The S14 was ONLY in the E30 M3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

What are you talking about? Didn't go well together how?

The S65 is lighter than the S54. It makes much more power. It allows them to race competitively in ALMS as they were running a V8 with the E46 and it was fine.

The M3 started with a 4 cylinder, did a 6 not make sense for it? Your point makes no sense.

The M3 got a V8 for several reasons, read this, educate yourself: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ower-potential
    The S65 is lighter than the S54 because it was newer technology. Not necessarily because it was going from I6 to v8. Come on.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    Dude, all I ever hear you talk about is 1/4 mile times. Now you are saying the gt3 is better(which I agree) than the turbo? Explain please.
    1/4 mile times for measuring performance upgrades but what does this have to do with the driving experience provided by a razor sharp high revving NA motor? Nothing else comes close which is probably why it was the mainstay of BMW M for so long.

What need to be explained, I told you I like instant response, flat curves, and high revs. Nothing else feels like winding out a motor past 8k and hitting a perfect shift at redline. The sound, the feel, all of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

The S65 is lighter than the S54 because it was newer technology. Not necessarily because it was going from I6 to v8. Come on.
    The hell are you talking about? The S65 is lighter because the block is aluminum. Nobody said it was lighter because it was a V8 it's the block material.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    What are you talking about? Didn't go well together how?

The S65 is lighter than the S54. It makes much more power. It allows them to race competitively in ALMS as they were running a V8 with the E46 and it was fine.

The M3 started with a 4 cylinder, did a 6 not make sense for it? Your point makes no sense.

The M3 got a V8 for several reasons, read this, educate yourself: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ower-potential
    The current M3 got a V8 because it is a huge barge. No more explaination needed.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

The current M3 got a V8 because it is a huge barge. No more explaination needed.
    E46 M3: 3450
    E92 M3: 3550

Ya, what a huge difference and a huge barge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Weird, never saw M cars having problems with mods before. If you mean cheap mods, sure.

I think it would be great if we had the choice instead of it being made for us. You know, like what Porsche is able to offer?

Unless you think the turbo is a better car than the GT3? Because I don't. I kind of like instant response, flat curves, and high revs.
    I think the GT2 is better than the GT3. If you're going to give options, at least make them comparable. There are generally more modifications for FI engines than NA, if you disagree please explain how so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Lol...3550...in your dreams.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Car and Driver put one on the scales - and the car weighed 3571 pounds.

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/122...put-on-a-scale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    I think the GT2 is better than the GT3. If you're going to give options, at least make them comparable. There are generally more modifications for FI engines than NA, if you disagree please explain how so.
    I think you are confusing more modifications with easier modifications.

I think the GT3 is better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

LOL learn what you are talking about:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

L O L is right:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I think you are confusing more modifications with easier modifications.

I think the GT3 is better.
    You can do everything you do to a NA engine to a FI engine + modify the induction set up. So more and easier modifications.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

You can do everything you do to a NA engine to a FI engine + modify the induction set up. So more and easier modifications.
    It isn't exactly easier trying to make a GT2 rev like a GT3 for example. You can add boost to NA as well.

It's different tuning. NA tuning some consider more satisfying as it is more difficult.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

It isn't exactly easier trying to make a GT2 rev like a GT3 for example. You can add boost to NA as well.

It's different tuning. NA tuning some consider more satisfying as it is more difficult.
    You are correct about that. My whole point (which got off track) is that FI engines will be easier, yes you were right about easier, for the average joe to modify and make a good bit of power. There are more possibilities with a lower price tag when it comes to FI engines. A simple modification such as a tune will have a significant increase in power while retaining the ability to be reversed to stock for warranty purposes. I could go on and on; FI is just fun, powerful, and easy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    How do you know it will be a V? I agree that makes the most sense but how do you know?
    I now have to be careful what I say! Otherwise, some people have real trouble ...
    There are several signs that can not myself believe in the I6!

1.Who told it?
    All employees of the M-GmbH had to sign a new contract last week, which forbids them all in detail in connection with the F80, the letter "R" (in English "I") or "V" to use.
    If BMW were really as traditional and on the R6 would (I6) set, but then you could not comunicate openly and so were to organize a children's garden theater.
    And then immersed in an AG-man from America and told what would all the staff of the M GmbH to bring the loss of their jobs?

2.What you hear ...
    A few weeks ago was the Munich M-Stammtisch. There the M GmbH in Garching, was visited. The staff were present were asked a number of M-M3 driver as follows:
    "Could you be inspired for a new M3, if he would have a BMW drive concept, not typical?"

At the Nurburgring last weekend was the 24-hour race. There, they met and the one or the other M-Staff. Of course, here was also asked about the F80, especially after the engine! Clear evidence of two employees:
    "We got the order last week to say a word more to F80 Otherwise, we immediately lose our jobs, I can only say:
    "Wir haben in der vergangenen Woche Order bekommen, kein Wort zum F80 mehr zu sagen. Ansonsten verlieren wir sofort unsere Jobs! Ich kann Dir nur sagen: Es spielt keine R-R-Rolle, was unter der Haube steckt. Wenn Du definitiv V-V-Verstehst, was ich meine!"
    Loosely translated, this means that no R-engine (in English I-engine) and definitely a V-engine!

In March, I was the birthday of my wife's father. There is also a member of the family was there, working in the engine development.
    I asked him what he would tell me to "Apollo-engine" ... and immediately got an amazing response from a pistol shot:
    "There is no V6 and BMW would never build a V6! These are all rumors ...!" Then he turned around and made the whole evening a wide circle around me ...
    That is not my only question is, how he came to the V6? I just said, "Apollo-engine" and he responded remarkably resistant ...

I do believe now, but nothing really!
    So far could you ask five people and bekamst 10 different answers!
    Since last week, you can ask 20 people and get no answer!
    In this respect remains only speculate and wait ...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Now imagine if they had made it 3350 Click here to enlarge

That's the direction BMW needs to take with the next M3. Back to the roots, back to the original M3 spirit. We don't need another $100k, fat GT tourer, la M5.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

What? Read your car manual. It says 1680 kg for mine (MT) which is closer to 3700lbs. Where are you getting that 3550 from

EDIT: OK scratch this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

You are correct about that. My whole point (which got off track) is that FI engines will be easier, yes you were right about easier, for the average joe to modify and make a good bit of power. There are more possibilities with a lower price tag when it comes to FI engines. A simple modification such as a tune will have a significant increase in power while retaining the ability to be reversed to stock for warranty purposes. I could go on and on; FI is just fun, powerful, and easy.
    Fun and easy does not mean more satisfying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Now imagine if they had made it 3350 Click here to enlarge

That's the direction BMW needs to take with the next M3. Back to the roots, back to the original M3 spirit. We don't need another $100k, fat GT tourer, la M5.
    They are never going to weight what the E30 did but the weight is overblown.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kueks29 Click here to enlarge
    I now have to be careful what I say! Otherwise, some people have real trouble ...

1.Who told it?
    All employees of the M-GmbH had to sign a new contract last week, which forbids them all in detail in connection with the F80, the letter "R" (in English "I") or "V" to use.
    If BMW were really as traditional and on the R6 would (I6) set, but then you could not comunicate openly and so were to organize a children's garden theater.
    And then immersed in an AG-man from America and told what would all the staff of the M GmbH to bring the loss of their jobs?

2.What you hear ...
    A few weeks ago was the Munich M-Stammtisch. There the M GmbH in Garching, was visited. The staff were present were asked a number of M-M3 driver as follows:
    "Could you be inspired for a new M3, if he would have a BMW drive concept, not typical?"

At the Nurburgring last weekend was the 24-hour race. There, they met and the one or the other M-Staff. Of course, here was also asked about the F80, especially after the engine! Clear evidence of two employees:
    "We got the order last week to say a word more to F80 Otherwise, we immediately lose our jobs, I can only say:
    "Wir haben in der vergangenen Woche Order bekommen, kein Wort zum F80 mehr zu sagen. Ansonsten verlieren wir sofort unsere Jobs! Ich kann Dir nur sagen: Es spielt keine R-R-Rolle, was unter der Haube steckt. Wenn Du definitiv V-V-Verstehst, was ich meine!"
    Loosely translated, this means that no R-engine (in English I-engine) and definitely a V-engine!

In March, I was the birthday of my wife's father. There is also a member of the family was there, working in the engine development.
    I asked him what he would tell me to "Apollo-engine" ... and immediately got an amazing response from a pistol shot:
    "There is no V6 and BMW would never build a V6! These are all rumors ...!" Then he turned around and made the whole evening a wide circle around me ...
    That is not my only question is, how he came to the V6? I just said, "Apollo-engine" and he responded remarkably resistant ...

I do believe now, but nothing really!
    So far could you ask five people and bekamst 10 different answers!
    Since last week, you can ask 20 people and get no answer!
    In this respect remains only speculate and wait ...
    It seems nobody really knows at this point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1.Who told it?

2.What you hear ...

"Wir haben in der vergangenen Woche Order bekommen, kein Wort zum F80 mehr zu sagen. Ansonsten verlieren wir sofort unsere Jobs! Ich kann Dir nur sagen: Es spielt keine R-R-Rolle, was unter der Haube steckt. Wenn Du definitiv V-V-Verstehst, was ich......
    lol was?

vielleicht wurde ist besser alles auf duetsch zu sagen. ich konnte est auf english erklaren fur die anderen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

sounds like he's pissed off he has to work on a v6. haha

Es spielt keine R-R-Rolle = Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast