Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

New M3 will have an inline 6

So it's looking like the next M3 is going to have an inline and turbos, rather then stick with the big V8? Funny how all the M owners tote how much better their big engines are, and now the M is going to be nothing more than a glorified 335I. I'm sure it's still going to be an amazing engine and car. It just goes to show you don't need a big V8 to have an M worthy car. Sorry Sticky...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Why are you saying sorry? As if this decision is because an inline-6 is better than a V8? It's to keep costs down and improve fuel economy. BMW has sacrificed a lot in going green. And I don't mean just for emissions, as in greed.

They are just going to take one of their base turbo motors like the N55 and tweak it for M duty. No more special M motors. Don't say sorry Sticky, say sorry to all BMW M fans out there as BMW sold out.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I don't think its too crazy to say a stroked or bored N55 will do the trick. A larger 3.3L I6 with a slightly larger turbo is not far fetched at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I actually am an M fan, I just can't afford the ridiculous sticker price (yet), but I think it's a good way to go and in no way do I think it's selling out. History has shown us that the inline 6/V6 can be an amazing platform. In fact, the M3 has been an inline 6 until the release of the E92. I feel a lot of people worship the V8 a little too much. I agree with you Q4P, and there is even talk about a tri-turbo. Not sure how that's going to work; maybe a turbo per 2 cylinders?
    Last edited by FATBMW; 05-21-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why are you saying sorry? As if this decision is because an inline-6 is better than a V8? It's to keep costs down and improve fuel economy. BMW has sacrificed a lot of in going green. And I don't mean just for emissions, as in greed.

They are just going to take one of their base turbo motors like the N55 and tweak it for M duty. No more special M motors. Don't say sorry Sticky, say sorry to all BMW M fans out there as BMW sold out.
    I think that its great that they are switching to FI. I guess people who dont like fuel efficiency, power, and modable cars should beware Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FATBMW Click here to enlarge
    So it's looking like the next M3 is going to have an inline and turbos, rather then stick with the big V8? Funny how all the M owners tote how much better their big engines are, and now the M is going to be nothing more than a glorified 335I. I'm sure it's still going to be an amazing engine and car. It just goes to show you don't need a big V8 to have an M worthy car. Sorry Sticky...
    god i hope your wrong and its not a open deck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

A big V8? It's one of the smallest V8s in production.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Source for the inline configuration?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Source for the inline configuration?
    Scratch that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rejoice not too early

For one has AG-man not to look at the M-GmbH, on the other hand does not provide the basis for the V6.
    Builds namely on the S65 and not on the S63Tü ...

Alone proves that the info is not very realistic. Because he would have inside knowledge, then he would know the basis of the V6.
    Furthermore, it was just missed by all employees of the M-GmbH, a muzzle. They had to sign, that the mention of the letter "R" (in English I) or "V" will cost the job.
    and ... only 5 days after this action arises out an AG-proclaimed funny guy:
    "Yes, it will be an I6 in the M3 ..."??

Those who believe a thing like that??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

In the latest issue of the germam mag "Auto Motor & Sport" it's stated that the next M3 / M4 will get a twin turbo I6 with a bit more than 450hp. They specifically say it won't be a tri-turbo as rumoured earlier.

So maybe an upgraded N54 with forged internals?
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

On a side note, M3 + V8 never went well together. Yes the S65 is lighter than the S52, engine response is great yabba yabba. But BMW should have kept the V8 for the M5.

I suspect the move to put the S65 in the E9X M3 was dictated by the fact that the last gen M5 had a V10 and BMW needed a V8 somewhere in the lineup. So they sacrified the M3 spirit and put 2 extra cylinders in the M3.
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Any tri turbo setup would be incredibly stupid... Adding intricacy or some sort of idiotic hybrid/electric turbo setup whatever the hell that is, is just creating a complexity, tunability and reliability nightmare. Make things easy on yourself BMW and make everyone happy... in other words; screw the efficient dynamics BS and create a stroked/bored N54 or N55 variant with slightly larger turbos and potentially forged internals. The V8 is gone and good riddance to it because the only thing sexy about that motor was the sound, BMW shot itself in the foot and potentially cannibalized its own sales by creating such a great motor (N54) in a non-M car. Never before was there such a small disparity between an M motor and a non M motor in terms of power for cost. Before the E90 generation, the non M motors in terms of performance were a joke, in 2007 that changed. The S65 was an incredibly inefficient motor with very little down low TQ and held the esteemed title of one of the smallest production V8s in the world. Sure the boosted ones are great but considering the costs, they are a terrible proposition (especially now) when compared to that one non-M motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I actually am an M fan, I just can't afford the ridiculous sticker price (yet), but I think it's a good way to go and in no way do I think it's selling out. History has shown us that the inline 6/V6 can be an amazing platform. In fact, the M3 has been an inline 6 until the release of the E92. I feel a lot of people worship the V8 a little too much. I agree with you Q4P, and there is even talk about a tri-turbo. Not sure how that's going to work; maybe a turbo per 2 cylinders?
    It's not that an i6 can't be good. It's that they are compromising. They will still build an awesome car. It's like as if Porsche killed the GT3. Maybe worse...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    In the latest issue of the germam mag "Auto Motor & Sport" it's stated that the next M3 / M4 will get a twin turbo I6 with a bit more than 450hp. They specifically say it won't be a tri-turbo as rumoured earlier.

So maybe an upgraded N54 with forged internals?
    The "am&s" always writing something else ...
    I suggest once the current "AutoBild Sportscars". There's an interesting article in it more than the M3 ...

And I'll say it again:
    I would not bet a penny on the I6 ... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kueks29 Click here to enlarge
    =
    And I'll say it again:
    I would not bet a penny on the I6 ... Click here to enlarge
    I would never drive a V6 BMW. I would ditch one of the cylinder banks and run on 3 cylinders and make it a I3 just for not driving a V6 BMW. I6 >>> V6.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    I would never drive a V6 BMW. I would ditch one of the cylinder banks and run on 3 cylinders and make it a I3 just for not driving a V6 BMW. I6 >>> V6.
    Hehe but for a turbo engine, the V-design has advantages over the I6. Space contraints mostly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Hehe but for a turbo engine, the V-design has advantages over the I6. Space contraints mostly.
    You can't fit two turbos in V in a 60 degree V6. You can fit them in a 90 degree V6, but 90 degree V6 are fairly unbalanced which is very different than BMW's silky smooth I6's. GM had a 90 degree V6 in 90's pick ups, it used to shake so much that engine mounts would let go after a while.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Kinda upset with BMW's decision to go smaller. I'm sure the new M3 will be great, but I don't think you should have to sacrifice performance and power on a performance line in efforts to go green. Mercedes, Audi, Ford didn't do that to try and beat the M3.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
    Kinda upset with BMW's decision to go smaller. I'm sure the new M3 will be great, but I don't think you should have to sacrifice performance and power on a performance line in efforts to go green. Mercedes, Audi, Ford didn't do that to try and beat the M3.
    Gotta disagree. Mercedes AMG is switching from 6.2 NA to 5.5 liter forced injection, in the S5 Audi moved from 4.2 V8 to 3.0 SC V6. Downsizing is the norm right now Click here to enlarge

But the next M3 will outperform current gen M3 by a large margin. Turbo = lots of torque which the S65 lacks badly. Peak HP will also increase. The big questions are firstly if BMW can keep the weight down and, secondly, what they will do to offer good engine response of the new FI engines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I stand corrected, I read that Audi was switching but didn't realize that Merc was too. Going smaller with turbos is what everyone is doing nowadays. Just hoping the M division will make their own engine and not go down the 1M route.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    That's your free choice!

It is interesting, but every model change again!
    Time and again, and introduced innovations predicted the demise of the M-GmbH. Yet so far was any more successful than its predecessor M3 ...

So if you now say you would never drive an M3 with a V6 ...
    it .... I do not really feel that way today

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The S65 is inefficient? It's always been an inline 6 in the M series? We should put a non S engine in an M series? Oh, and the S65 is "torqueless". The latest M3 has more rear wheel torque than a Z06 up until 3rd gear - it can achieve this through gearing and an insane redline. As far as efficiency goes, the s54 had one of the best BSFC - and BMW claims this engine to be over 15% higher.

Why would anyone knock a marvel of engineering like this? Go drive one - you will understand what throttle response is. When a 335 is given to me as a loaner, it's almost laughable that people think its in par with an S motor. It's a very good engine - don't get me wrong, but it's not even close to even my last M3 (s54) in terms of response, delivery, etc... To say an engine that is 4 liters in size that creates almost all it's torque right at the bottom of the range - and carries that torque to a redline that is normally unheard of, is not good? I just can't agree.

There are reasons why there are cars like the GT3, LF-A and every M3 starting with that amazing 4 cylinder. There are also reasons why the engineers did not boost these cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    The S65 is inefficient? It's always been an inline 6 in the M series? We should put a non S engine in an M series? Oh, and the S65 is "torqueless". The latest M3 has more rear wheel torque than a Z06 up until 3rd gear - it can achieve this through gearing and an insane redline. As far as efficiency goes, the s54 had one of the best BSFC - and BMW claims this engine to be over 15% higher.
    Why would anyone knock a marvel of engineering like this? Go drive one - you will understand what throttle response is. When a 335 is given to me as a loaner, it's almost laughable that people think its in par with an S motor. It's a very good engine - don't get me wrong, but it's not even close to even my last M3 (s54) in terms of response, delivery, etc... To say an engine that is 4 liters in size that creates almost all it's torque right at the bottom of the range - and carries that torque to a redline that is normally unheard of, is not good? I just can't agree.
    There are reasons why there are cars like the GT3, LF-A and every M3 starting with that amazing 4 cylinder. There are also reasons why the engineers did not boost these cars.
    Yeah, no one compares a stock N54 to an S65. Take a tuned N54 to allow for a more even comparison. And DRIVE a tuned N54 to feel what 600NM feel like at as low as 2k rpm.

Efficiency of the S65?? Around 16 liters/100km in normal driving. I average 12 liters on my car. And I certainly don't drive like a grandma. With gas prices going through the roof, fuel efficiency becomes real important even for sports cars.

Yes, engine response of the S-engines is great. That's what BMW needs to improve on with the FI engines, can't deny that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

I do agree it doesn't have the punch of these new TT BMW motors and it's torque isn't suitable for some crowd. I'm talking about real torque not multiplied torque and such. But still, i like it more than N54. To each their own though Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast