Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RB vs ASR gen 2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    Holy hell...my fanboy alarm is going off, but then I read the bold part, there is no way this is Abid, right??? Wow at hypocrisy in the underlined areas...

Originally Posted by alr335xi
    "The fact of the matter is that the wastegate flapper has never rattled or failed on any of ASR's turbo upgrades nor will they ever. The rattling comes from the incorrect tension from the stock actuator during vacuum to boost transition. If the flapper is the problem, how come non of ASR's turbo upgrades have wastegate rattle issues? To make matters worse you constantly see RB and his fan base trying every method they can to make false claims about ASR's product just to promote their own, pretty childish and unprofessional if you ask me. RB even went as far as stating that Shiv was having problems tuning ASR's turbos with stock actuators, so they decided to make an actuator upgrade to mask the problem, which is a complete made up and fabricated lie. The fact is RB doesn't have the funding or the knowledge to to do things the correct way, so they bad mouth others to promote that what they're doing is the best method since they don't have a leg to stand on. They say we charge too much, but yet they are paying over $3k for turbos that cost $150-$200 per turbo that are 20 year old technology from a guy that works out of his garage or basement with no pone number or store front, go figure. He doesn't even offer a 1 year warranty like ASR does, no one in the industry offers any warranty on turbo upgrades like they do. Also, why do more than half of RB's customers complain about their turbos smoking which is documented all over the Internet? These are the guys that will never understand no matter how many facts you put in their face."
    Rob has a phone number, website and my turbos don't smoke or burn a drop of oil. And he does offer a one year warranty. Just ask @dzenno if he got his money's worth or not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's interesting that all of us, even people who already made a twin upgrade choice, really want to see the results of phase 1 (revision 1), and phase 2, but all we get is a customer as a proxy trying to bash another product.
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Shiv will push these turbos to 22-24 psi, in the same manner he is pushing his single turbo, with meth as the fueling bandaid, and show a 550-570hp dyno.. same that I have been saying is capable of RB's (regardless if its in or out of effifiency for either set) push the RBs
    Shiv already installed and ran these months ago. He posted up dynos on e90. They ended up making around 550whp if I remember correctly. They were removed within a few weeks for the start of the single turbo project.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    No, they made 518whp with timing "advanced" 2deg over the already aggressive stock timing curve..

Shiv's car, with ASR turbos, also baselined at 296whp that time so keep that baseline in mind
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ha, that was a reply to my post with video.
    I actually did added a reminder for 5/22/2013 and intent to bump the thread a year later asking how his wastegate rattle is doing.
    But seeing how much of a fanboi he is I kinda suspect either no answer or a long-winded post how his car was runnnig 8s 1/4 mile passes all year long.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    Holy hell...my fanboy alarm is going off, but then I read the bold part, there is no way this is Abid, right??? Wow at hypocrisy in the underlined areas...

Originally Posted by alr335xi
    "The fact of the matter is that the wastegate flapper has never rattled or failed on any of ASR's turbo upgrades nor will they ever. The rattling comes from the incorrect tension from the stock actuator during vacuum to boost transition. If the flapper is the problem, how come non of ASR's turbo upgrades have wastegate rattle issues? To make matters worse you constantly see RB and his fan base trying every method they can to make false claims about ASR's product just to promote their own, pretty childish and unprofessional if you ask me. RB even went as far as stating that Shiv was having problems tuning ASR's turbos with stock actuators, so they decided to make an actuator upgrade to mask the problem, which is a complete made up and fabricated lie. The fact is RB doesn't have the funding or the knowledge to to do things the correct way, so they bad mouth others to promote that what they're doing is the best method since they don't have a leg to stand on. They say we charge too much, but yet they are paying over $3k for turbos that cost $150-$200 per turbo that are 20 year old technology from a guy that works out of his garage or basement with no pone number or store front, go figure. He doesn't even offer a 1 year warranty like ASR does, no one in the industry offers any warranty on turbo upgrades like they do. Also, why do more than half of RB's customers complain about their turbos smoking which is documented all over the Internet? These are the guys that will never understand no matter how many facts you put in their face."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

dz is right. shiv was sent asr stage 1 turbos (same as on my car, only oil cooled) and he made a top of 518whp. unfortunately with that picture above, i cannot tell you for certain that is stage 1 or 2 with the new chra. it does have the new actuators but that's all i can see. time will tell. if shiv is really putting these on his car to test i'm not sure what he'll make as i don't know if it has the upp'd comp wheel or not. as far as stage 2 numbers, you'll eventually have asr's glory run, frank will dyno once his car is healthy and myself. it's been a long time coming, LM will testify to that Click here to enlarge i have been dodging around the issue to be completely honest. but my new goal (since new years) is not to bias the numbers. i had planned to dyno in the winter where my numbers would be best for Miami. instead i plan to dyno close to when i install the stage 2 upgrade. this way the conditions are as similar as possible. it may not happen but two things are for sure. asr will never get rid of it's poor reputation here, and for what reason should they? they apparently owe people money and are claiming otherwise. rb will never be one-up'd even if asr does come out with a 600wheel dyno, if it does come to that the line will be 'it's almost double the price for not that much more power', or w/e.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

i wont be on a dyno anytime soon. even if i get my car back next month its going back to the dealer to resolve my leaky transmission. 3rd tranny installed in my car so far Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Heh, someone wanna lend me a N20 map sensor? I will push these suckers to 24 psi mid range tapering to as much as the turbos will give me for one glory run on race gas, 100% meth through dual nozzles. I bet I could rip off some impressive numbers on the stock timing curve!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

getbmwparts.com has them. We have the adapter you need to make it PNP. And we have a G5 firmware for the 3.5 bar sensor. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    No, they made 518whp with timing "advanced" 2deg over the already aggressive stock timing curve..

Shiv's car, with ASR turbos, also baselined at 296whp that time so keep that baseline in mind
    That sounds right. Not sure why I was thinking 550whp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by (-(ellblazer420 Click here to enlarge
    That sounds right. Not sure why I was thinking 550whp.
    Those single turbo numbers must be lingering in your mind Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Got my first negative rep for that posting, but whatever I called it like I saw it.

I highly doubt I'd ever get twins from anyone but Rob, but just the same 600whp was kind of intriguing and that's what started all this. I'm done for now, I've learned what I needed to know from ASR and a bit more about the hybrid approaches each company takes.

Thanks for the education guys, andClick here to enlarge to whoever neg rep'd me Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by (-(ellblazer420 Click here to enlarge
    Shiv already installed and ran these months ago. He posted up dynos on e90. They ended up making around 550whp if I remember correctly. They were removed within a few weeks for the start of the single turbo project.
    I never ran the new compressor wheels. Just the new turbos with upgraded WG actuators. As you said, I only had those on the car for a few weeks before starting the single turbo project. I would be hesitant to expect any twin turbo upgrade (RB or ASR) to make much more power than they are currently making (500-520whp) at max boost. The tiny OE turbine housings seem to be the real power limiter. There may be some negative pressure built up on the inlet side due to the flattened factory intake pipes. Perhaps a real solution there would free up another 10-20whp. But that is easier said than done given space constraints/associated costs.

FWIW at 518whp, my car consistently trapped at 126.x at Sacramento raceway in a ~50f night. This is with NLS, Hoosier DRs and 2-step. Weighing maybe 20-30lbs more than it does now. But it ran a relatively aggressive tune that was very sensitive to octane.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

hey sikh look wh ojust posted ^^^

i thought this was a roll race vid...booo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

^^^i wish it was! that would be a heck of a video
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

@shiv@vishnu, how do you manage to add 2 deg over the stock timing curve in your map2 for upgraded turbos in midrange to 6k rpm and then 1deg to redline at high load? Running a 126.x trap, on my end, didn't require that much timing, more like 4-5 deg down low to about 10.5deg at redline...is that only recommended on race gas + meth or do you find it safe to run daily with pump gas and meth? I have to say I was pretty shocked to see these values in your current posted beta map 2 timing tables where the boost profile asks for 20psi midrange, 19psi at 6500rpm and 17psi at redline...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Good post by shiv meister...^^^^

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Thought Shiv was banned? Oh wait...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

^^^ eh?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    ^^^ eh?
    @Sean@FFTEC was asking for him to be unbanned yet he was never banned in the first place. Some other users were saying the same thing, just funny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

right.... thats why i told sikh to take a peek at who posted Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    I never ran the new compressor wheels. Just the new turbos with upgraded WG actuators. As you said, I only had those on the car for a few weeks before starting the single turbo project. I would be hesitant to expect any twin turbo upgrade (RB or ASR) to make much more power than they are currently making (500-520whp) at max boost. The tiny OE turbine housings seem to be the real power limiter. There may be some negative pressure built up on the inlet side due to the flattened factory intake pipes. Perhaps a real solution there would free up another 10-20whp. But that is easier said than done given space constraints/associated costs.

FWIW at 518whp, my car consistently trapped at 126.x at Sacramento raceway in a ~50f night. This is with NLS, Hoosier DRs and 2-step. Weighing maybe 20-30lbs more than it does now. But it ran a relatively aggressive tune that was very sensitive to octane.

so what do you plan on doing with the new set of asr's crap?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    so what do you plan on doing with the new set of asr's crap?
    From the "other board", looks like customers are ordering ASR through Vishnu.
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scottp999 Click here to enlarge
    From the "other board", looks like customers are ordering ASR through Vishnu.
    Like lambs being herded to the slaugther...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Somewhere on n54tech there is a thread on Rob testing of different actuators, think the stock ones came out on top Click here to enlarge
    That was me, actually. I had a set of actuators from ASR and sent them to Rob when I ordered my turbos from him, in order to see whether that would be a worthwhile improvement. He stated that the stock actuators would actually work better than the Forge ones, which is why I never installed them.

Just for the record, my dealings with ASR were very good. Although this may of course be because they wanted me to buy their turbos.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (hlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast