Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

35% Meth Ratio Log

Hey guys,

With all the talk of the WW tank leaks, potential for fire, etc, we've started suggesting no more than 49% meth in the WW tank. Which based on our testing and experience is very safe from a fire perspective. We've sprayed streams of it directly on the hot exhaust manifolds, etc, without it lighting up.

Of course, the next question is what happens to performance with such a heavy mix of water? The short answer is we don't know. So it's time to find out. Click here to enlarge

We will be doing a round of testing on straight -20F WW fluid (~33% meth) and boost juice (49% meth). While I'm waiting for the -20F WW fluid to show up I decided to brew my own 35% mix just see get a feeling for how the tuning responds and have been running that the last few days. I have to say it's been pretty solid. Here is a log from one of the runs tonight. This was on 91+octane boost (93 octane), the usual mods, 5/19 firmware, and of course the 35% mix.

I'm hoping we can put out around 425rw with 49% meth and around 410rw with ~33% meth using 93 octane. Can't wait to find out. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That's nice timing on a 35% mixture!

Reinforces what a lot of the meth forums advocate......the water does more for combustion chamber cooling - reducing knock potential, while the meth primarily cools the intake charge giving a denser air mixture.

They seem to suggest that the right combination of water to meth will give you the best of both.

Is your IAT on that graph? If so, what were the ambients?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good info Terry. I'm running 30% E85 on top of 93 and a 50/50 ethanol/water mixture. The resulting alcohol strength is about 45 percent with the 50/50 mixture. The car runs great with full timing at 18.5 PSI. The high content of water will help to keep the combustion chambers and piston heads clean. If you ever have looked into an engine where some water leaked into the combustion chamber it will be absolutely clean from soot and carbon and shine like new metal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DCAFS Click here to enlarge
    Bump for answer.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DCAFS Click here to enlarge
    That's nice timing on a 35% mixture!

Reinforces what a lot of the meth forums advocate......the water does more for combustion chamber cooling - reducing knock potential, while the meth primarily cools the intake charge giving a denser air mixture.

They seem to suggest that the right combination of water to meth will give you the best of both.

The IAT is not on his graph, but for what it's worth I ran a 33% mixture for several days and my logs showed perfect timing at 19 psi tapering to 16 psi with a steady IAT that rose just slightly. This versus 75% or 100% meth that I ran before, which would drop IATs down when meth started flowing. I expected that the temp drop wouldn't be as good, so I wasn't surprised by the outcome. This was on a 40% mix of E85, I am running 93 octane now and will be doing some logs with 33% meth on that as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    410whp with a 35% meth/water at only 17psi? That would be impressive.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    The IAT is not on his graph, but for what it's worth I ran a 33% mixture for several days and my logs showed perfect timing at 19 psi tapering to 16 psi with a steady IAT that rose just slightly. This versus 75% or 100% meth that I ran before, which would drop IATs down when meth started flowing. I expected that the temp drop wouldn't be as good, so I wasn't surprised by the outcome. This was on a 40% mix of E85, I am running 93 octane now and will be doing some logs with 33% meth on that as well.
    You need RBs man.. you'll be happier

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    updates?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Posted some more logs on n54tech. Stuff works pretty well!
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.