Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Lightbulb Forex/Stock Trading

Anyone else trade in the Foreign Currency Exchange or Stock markets?

I came across the www.TradingApples.com course, and am going to do some studying tonight.

Also was recommended three books: High Probability Trading by Marcel Link, Trading for a Living by Elder, and Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas.

I really, REALLY need to generate some additional income. Hopefully I can figure this stuff out and make some smart and profitable trades.

What do you guys think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like I have told others, anything you see here should strictly be for entertainment. People will hav you buy a stock because hey want to sell....
    Click here to enlarge

I will quit being rude if you quit being stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking about getting into mutual funds and possible stock trades at some point in the future.....need to put some $ aside first lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't like messing around with stocks as I prefer physical assets. It just isn't my thing but maybe we have some investors here.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is what I gathered from any form of trading. If you intend to use it for predictable income, assume it becomes your full time job. You need to be so on top of your trade, the economy, the news etc... that you wont have time to do anything else. If you make one lucky trade and score some cash, good, but thats just luck. If you want consistent income, you need to be very involved and educated with what you are doing. And thats why I dont trade, ever; because I am ignorant when it comes to the depths of stock trading.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    This is what I gathered from any form of trading. If you intend to use it for predictable income, assume it becomes your full time job. You need to be so on top of your trade, the economy, the news etc... that you wont have time to do anything else. If you make one lucky trade and score some cash, good, but thats just luck. If you want consistent income, you need to be very involved and educated with what you are doing. And thats why I dont trade, ever; because I am ignorant when it comes to the depths of stock trading.
    This is VERY true. 99.9% of traders don't know what they are doing, especially in the Forex market, so they make bad trades, and the smart traders profit off of them. The main goal of this for me is not to make a living, but to generate some additional income that I can use for my vehicle builds and potential real estate investment.

It's a bit different than trading stocks. You trade currency pairs by pips (points in percentage) or fractions of pennies. It's basically open 24/7 and you can make profit based on your account size, leverage and the amount of pips you capture. The leverage and lot sizes make your pips counts for much greater actual currency amount, which can go against you if the trade goes south obviously.

I've made about 5 demo account trades so far, and only one I had to close out early at a 10 pip loss. I gained 72, 68, 53 and 21 pips so far just using technical analysis (mainly Trend Lines) and price history on only one of the many currency pairs, the Euro/USD pair.

The beauty is you can trade long or short term. One of those gains I made in about 30 minutes. But yes, you must be analyzing this data constantly and correctly, and I'm even still just a total noob so far.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    This is VERY true. 99.9% of traders don't know what they are doing, especially in the Forex market, so they make bad trades, and the smart traders profit off of them. The main goal of this for me is not to make a living, but to generate some additional income that I can use for my vehicle builds and potential real estate investment.

It's a bit different than trading stocks. You trade currency pairs by pips (points in percentage) or fractions of pennies. It's basically open 24/7 and you can make profit based on your account size, leverage and the amount of pips you capture. The leverage and lot sizes make your pips counts for much greater actual currency amount, which can go against you if the trade goes south obviously.

I've made about 5 demo account trades so far, and only one I had to close out early at a 10 pip loss. I gained 72, 68, 53 and 21 pips so far just using technical analysis (mainly Trend Lines) and price history on only one of the many currency pairs, the Euro/USD pair.

The beauty is you can trade long or short term. One of those gains I made in about 30 minutes. But yes, you must be analyzing this data constantly and correctly, and I'm even still just a total noob so far.
    I dont know much about anything. But I do have a good friend who trades forex and he is always on top of it. I don't have the time for it, I think the extra money he makes is modest, an extra 3 grand here and there is nice. But how much is your time worth? Time is money. And if you spend 3 weeks of working your ass off on the computer in the evenings for a measly 3, then it's not worth it. Your time is the most important commodity you have, make good use of it.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    delete please

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    delete please

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For sure. Hence the mobile trading platforms. I can work, AND trade daily by setting trailing stop-loss orders from my phone app through my broker. It's called Trade-Interceptor by the way.

Also, you get out what you put in. A standard lot is 100,000 units of a currency. At the USA mandated leverage (50:1), I would only need $2,000 to hold a $100,000 position. So if I made a trade in 1 hour that used my whole lot ($2,000 account) that gained 68 pips I would make $680.

EURUSD pip = 0.0001 X 100,000 = $10.00 ... So my trade would be .0068 X 100,000 = $680 off of a $2,000 investment that I only spent an hour trading.

Some traders capture hundreds of pips a day. And imagine the revenue if I had 5 lots.

Trading all of 5 lots ($10,000 account with 50:1 leverage) EURUSD pip = 0.0068 X 500,000 = $3,400 profit in one trade.

68 pips is not much at all. I've seen 200+ pip trades in a matter of hours or less.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For sure. Hence the mobile trading platforms. I can work, AND trade daily by setting trailing stop-loss orders from my phone app through my broker. It's called Trade-Interceptor by the way.

Also, you get out what you put in. A standard lot is 100,000 units of a currency. At the USA mandated leverage (50:1), I would only need $2,000 to hold a $100,000 position. So if I made a trade in 1 hour that used my whole lot ($2,000 account) that gained 68 pips I would make $680.

EURUSD pip = 0.0001 X 100,000 = $10.00 ... So my trade would be .0068 X 100,000 = $680 off of a $2,000 investment that I only spent an hour trading.

Some traders capture hundreds of pips a day. And imagine the revenue if I had 5 lots.

Trading all of 5 lots ($10,000 account with 50:1 leverage) EURUSD pip = 0.0068 X 500,000 = $3,400 profit in one trade.

68 pips is not much at all. I've seen 200+ pip trades in a matter of hours or less.
    I see you are a level 60 mage.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see you are a level 60 mage.
    I laughed but don't really understand this joke. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I laughed but don't really understand this joke. Click here to enlarge
    Arent you into D3 or MMORPGs? I thought I saw you in the D3 thread...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Arent you into D3 or MMORPGs? I thought I saw you in the D3 thread...
    Oh yeah I'm lvl 26 Monk in D3 right now. Just didn't get the lvl 60 Mage joke. Lol I still feel retarded!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't like messing around with stocks as I prefer physical assets. It just isn't my thing but maybe we have some investors here.
    Joe, as i thinknyou know, my business was built on trading. In the early 90's when we used to laugh that the average novice investor had very little chance compared to the pros. Electronic trading platforms and timely access to info have leveled the field quite a bit but the novice gap still exits.

Remember That depending on what you trade, stocks esstentially represent net book value plus or minus anticipated cash flows.

When most people trade they have an entry strategy but do not have an exit strategy. Case in point is Facebook. I had IPO shares and sold them within 10 minutes of the open. That was my exit strategy before it even started to trade and I stuck to it. Statistically 75% of institutional investors sell on the IPO issue date and then buy back at a lower price.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! I wanted to get in on the Facebook IPO! They started at $38.... how many shares did you buy and what did you let go for?

Or are you one of those badasses that had a $250,000 account and had the pre-public shares?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The allocation was a real cluster$#@!. On Thurs afternoon I was only allocated 500 shares and then got a call after the close with the rest of the allocation coming in.

A lot of people got screwed because of NASDAQ's precious IPOD software and is even making a reimbursement fund available.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
    Joe, as i thinknyou know, my business was built on trading. In the early 90's when we used to laugh that the average novice investor had very little chance compared to the pros. Electronic trading platforms and timely access to info have leveled the field quite a bit but the novice gap still exits.

Remember That depending on what you trade, stocks esstentially represent net book value plus or minus anticipated cash flows.

When most people trade they have an entry strategy but do not have an exit strategy. Case in point is Facebook. I had IPO shares and sold them within 10 minutes of the open. That was my exit strategy before it even started to trade and I stuck to it. Statistically 75% of institutional investors sell on the IPO issue date and then buy back at a lower price.
    I had a decent porfolio I let some pro manage. When I saw it shrink to 25% of what it was, I cashed out. Never saw any of my properties take a 25% hit in just a couple days... as a matter of fact, they have appreciated.

I'm not doubting that huge money can be made I just am not a savvy trader. I prefer real estate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! I wanted to get in on the Facebook IPO! They started at $38.... how many shares did you buy and what did you let go for?

Or are you one of those badasses that had a $250,000 account and had the pre-public shares?
    The Facebook IPO fell flat on its face. People were expecting to triple their money and it lost value as trading went on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The stock market is incredibly sketch in general. All you buy are paper assets that only have value based on the public perception of a company and a mutual trust that it's product will sell well. It's a clear problem from the start and most sverage joes cant make money for numerous reasons. To me, there is only a few groups of people that make money in stock and everyone else is a sucker that is far below on the totem pole. Unless you are a corporate raider (someone with enough money to move the markets and automatically create profit) or immediately short losses, an insider or someone who received shares on a grwoing company before it went public or you just get plain lucky by some wild ass guess. Everyone else playing in the stock market is a loser because as someone mentioned it will be a full time job with unsubstantiated gains that might work based on some small luck and you may win a little here and there but you will lose in other places. For example anyone buying into the FB hype right is probably fing themselves and if you understand the company and its business model you would know why.

Stick to real estate where know is a great time to invest a lot of markets, otherwise start a side business with potential because playing with stock is for the most part a waste of time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    q4p - fully agree (although I am not a corporate raider!!).

FYI I have a buy order for Facebook at 28/share....that should tell you where I think the stock is going.
    Click here to enlarge