Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Points
    426.3
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    10 out of 10 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    Mr. 5 Style Intake - Zasquatch Style

    Posted this long ago on bimmerpost, figured I'd bring it over here as well.

    I wanted a Mr.5 style intake, but was not satisfied with the 3" flanges currently available on the market. Metal flanges were extremely difficult to find, most are plastic. The easiest to attain is the Spectre plastic flange, which looks insanely cheap and low quality to me. Even if a metal flange can be found, odds are it has very sharp corners and are less than aerodynamic.

    For the above reasons, I chose to buy a section of 6061 Aluminum tube and have a friend of mine mill it down into a nice flange. Notice the chamfers on all inside edges, which should cut down on turbulence exiting the pipe.

    Click here to enlarge

    I then used Silicone II household/RV/Auto gasket maker/sealant to affix the flange, as it has a very high temperature rating (400 deg F), is waterproof, grease and oil resistant, stays rubbery and will never crack.

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

    For the filter, I chose the AFE 24-91016 with a 3.5" ID mounting, 6" base, 5.5" top, and is 5" tall. The second pic shows the CP-e pre filter I got free with one of my orders... A bit small for the filter I used, but it works Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

    The adapter I made for the filter has a nice long chamfer, which mates up to the filter's inner curved transition quite nicely. In the future, I would not include the tapped holes for the bolts. When I did my final install, I learned that there is NOTHING to bolt anything to in that extremely tight space in the wheel well. Lesson learned.

    Click here to enlarge

    Here is the whole system assembled. I ordered 4' of the flexible ducting from McMaster to be safe. I think my final version only uses about 2-2.5' though.

    Click here to enlarge

    Overall the system works fantastic. I have not had to adjust anything, and couldn't be happier with my setup. I briefly considered either making a pipe or using silicone hoses to route the filter, but to be honest the flexible duct works very good.

    For those wishing to fabricate your own flanges, here are the drawings I made:

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

    I would be willing to design your own custom flange and provide drawings if you made it worth my time!

    Unfortunately, my friend has no desire to mass produce these, he made mine as a favor - so please don't ask Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,053
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Talk about attention to detail! Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    919
    Rep Points
    780.4
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Loving the flange designs!
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,924
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Very nice, I love that intake! I wish your friend was my friend lol.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,756
    Rep Points
    31,551.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zasquatch Click here to enlarge
    Posted this long ago on bimmerpost, figured I'd bring it over here as well.

    I wanted a Mr.5 style intake, but was not satisfied with the 3" flanges currently available on the market. Metal flanges were extremely difficult to find, most are plastic. The easiest to attain is the Spectre plastic flange, which looks insanely cheap and low quality to me. Even if a metal flange can be found, odds are it has very sharp corners and are less than aerodynamic.

    For the above reasons, I chose to buy a section of 6061 Aluminum tube and have a friend of mine mill it down into a nice flange. Notice the chamfers on all inside edges, which should cut down on turbulence exiting the pipe.

    Click here to enlarge

    I then used Silicone II household/RV/Auto gasket maker/sealant to affix the flange, as it has a very high temperature rating (400 deg F), is waterproof, grease and oil resistant, stays rubbery and will never crack.

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

    For the filter, I chose the AFE 24-91016 with a 3.5" ID mounting, 6" base, 5.5" top, and is 5" tall. The second pic shows the CP-e pre filter I got free with one of my orders... A bit small for the filter I used, but it works Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

    The adapter I made for the filter has a nice long chamfer, which mates up to the filter's inner curved transition quite nicely. In the future, I would not include the tapped holes for the bolts. When I did my final install, I learned that there is NOTHING to bolt anything to in that extremely tight space in the wheel well. Lesson learned.

    Click here to enlarge

    Here is the whole system assembled. I ordered 4' of the flexible ducting from McMaster to be safe. I think my final version only uses about 2-2.5' though.

    Click here to enlarge

    Overall the system works fantastic. I have not had to adjust anything, and couldn't be happier with my setup. I briefly considered either making a pipe or using silicone hoses to route the filter, but to be honest the flexible duct works very good.

    For those wishing to fabricate your own flanges, here are the drawings I made:

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

    I would be willing to design your own custom flange and provide drawings if you made it worth my time!

    Unfortunately, my friend has no desire to mass produce these, he made mine as a favor - so please don't ask Click here to enlarge
    Great post, +rep for you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Points
    426.3
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks guys. I was tempted to buy a benchtop lathe and crank these puppies out myself, but that $#@! ain't cheap!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    You sir WIN! Click here to enlarge Very very nice job there man
    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zasquatch Click here to enlarge
    Thanks guys. I was tempted to buy a benchtop lathe and crank these puppies out myself, but that $#@! ain't cheap!
    Get yourself a harbor frieght chinese special. For this kinda stuff you dont need super tight tolerances.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    286
    Rep Points
    349.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This is good work! thanks for posting
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,053
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Get yourself a harbor frieght chinese special. For this kinda stuff you dont need super tight tolerances.
    Lol yeah, 1 out of 10 of their air fittings fit properly. And don't get me started on their transmission jacks....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    @Zasquatch, can your friend approximate the amount of machining time this took? Will give everyone a good idea of the overall cost of the parts.

    Wish I still had access to a machine shop, I would make them for people.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Points
    426.3
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    @Zasquatch , can your friend approximate the amount of machining time this took? Will give everyone a good idea of the overall cost of the parts.

    Wish I still had access to a machine shop, I would make them for people.

    Here's the fine print lol:

    -I guess friend is an overstatement..... He is a coworker that I get along with but do not socialize with outside of work. So I don't have much leverage with him. If he was a good friend, I would force him to make more and feed him beers while he did it.

    -It took him ~8 hours to do both pieces. The flange took 60% of the time. That being said.... His lathe was broken so he had to use his milling machine. As you can imagine, this makes the process much more difficult and MUCH more time consuming. On a lathe this job would be CAKE. I can't imagine it taking more than an hour or two to get it done. It is Aluminum after all.... and just one big turn-down and a few chamfers with low tolerance.

    -Prior to convincing him to make my pieces, (he charged me about $35 in Aluminum stock for his own projects) I did check out emachineshop.com to get a quote. Since I only wanted one made, the price was high. They also factor in material cost (I paid $60 for a foot long section of 6061 tube from McMaster). The total was right around $300 - totally outrageous.

    I think some people should take the drawing to a small local machine shop and ask for some estimates. I think the results will be much more reasonable.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Yea, on a lathe this should be a really easy. Not a chance I would do this on a Mill, way to much work. FWIW, a 6" section of solid rod is cheaper than the tubing but the machining is probably going to cancel that savings out.

    I would def take this to a local place, just need to find one.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Well, I have a friend thats making it out of Ti for me for free so I wont have any monetary input for any members, sorry.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Points
    426.3
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Well, I have a friend thats making it out of Ti for me for free so I wont have any monetary input for any members, sorry.
    Ti???? Damn.... You HAVE to one up me, eh? LOL def. post picks when you get it!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Haha, will do. I priced out Ti on McMaster for giggles and its crazy how much it adds up. I just asked my friend if I could ship him some 6061 and if he could make it, he offered to make it from Ti for free. Apparently his compnay has a lot of scrap Ti laying around. I will for sure post pics when I get them. He asked if I wanted them polished too, I thought that was over kill haha.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Points
    426.3
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Haha, will do. I priced out Ti on McMaster for giggles and its crazy how much it adds up. I just asked my friend if I could ship him some 6061 and if he could make it, he offered to make it from Ti for free. Apparently his compnay has a lot of scrap Ti laying around. I will for sure post pics when I get them. He asked if I wanted them polished too, I thought that was over kill haha.
    Wow... now THAT is a a good friend Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    31
    Rep Points
    33.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Haha, will do. I priced out Ti on McMaster for giggles and its crazy how much it adds up. I just asked my friend if I could ship him some 6061 and if he could make it, he offered to make it from Ti for free. Apparently his compnay has a lot of scrap Ti laying around. I will for sure post pics when I get them. He asked if I wanted them polished too, I thought that was over kill haha.
    Can't wait to see the photos.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Points
    4.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    not a bad design there

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42
    Rep Points
    40.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    That's really cool. I have a Stett CAI currently, I wonder if I can take that and use it in a setup like yours for a more Dinan like CAI.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Dont hate on harbor freight. Oh that rhymes.

    No seriously you have to know how to shop there, some things are pure $#@!. But other things are great for the price, just gotta have experience buying from them.

    A cheap lathe from them to turn a flange like that is perfect, you are pressing it into plastic, you dont need +/- 0.001" tolerances so the 250 dollar lathe will work just fine!

    For the other guy, why the hell are you using Titanium!?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Dont hate on harbor freight. Oh that rhymes.

    No seriously you have to know how to shop there, some things are pure $#@!. But other things are great for the price, just gotta have experience buying from them.

    A cheap lathe from them to turn a flange like that is perfect, you are pressing it into plastic, you dont need +/- 0.001" tolerances so the 250 dollar lathe will work just fine!

    For the other guy, why the hell are you using Titanium!?
    Well, I was going to use it solely because it was free. However, my friend's company doesn't currently stock Ti in that large of a diamater so Al it is! Still getting it for free and Ti was way overkill so I am not complaining.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Points
    426.3
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Well, I was going to use it solely because it was free. However, my friend's company doesn't currently stock Ti in that large of a diamater so Al it is! Still getting it for free and Ti was way overkill so I am not complaining.
    BUMMER! $1k worth of machined Ti flanges for free would have been outrageously awesome. I guess Al will have to do Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Points
    426.3
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I have an M3 rep bumper arriving tomorrow and have some big plans for it (thank you whoever bumped my car in the parking lot, I wasn't expecting to get one so soon). While I don't care about retaining the brake cooling ducts because I don't race, and when you are going straight they just blow onto your tire anyway, I DO care about retaining the oil cooler duct.

    I will be doing the fog delete, and I have these sitting on my dining room table now (51747900823/824):

    Click here to enlarge

    I knew the larger one should bolt right up to the oil cooler (not sure if I keep the partial block-off plate that is on it), but was unsure where the driver's side duct ended up. ECS Tuning listed it as a brake duct, but the upward angle suggested otherwise. I did some digging and found out it is one of 3 inlets to the M3 intake box!

    Click here to enlarge

    Since the filter for my intake sits behind the bumper sandwiched between the fog light and wheel well, I plan to use this duct as a cold air supply. An added bonus for me! And since the duct is designed for an intake, it has several bends and ridges to ward off water. I wont be hooking it up directly to the filter, but it should provide a large volume of fresh cool air to that otherwise hot cramped cavity Click here to enlarge

    Oh, the things I get excited about ..................................

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,677
    Rep Points
    3,327.5
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    very very cool!
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •