Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

E36 M3 Euro Oil Temp Gauge into US Cluster?

Hey guys,

I want to transplant an oil temp gauge from a UK M3 (where the US MPG gauge is) into my US cluster and am being told that the ECU might need to be hacked to acknowledge the new gauge or it will give a fault, but i swear i've seen something elsewhere on the web ages ago where someone made the switch successfully simply by wiring it directly to a sensor - no mention of any ECU issues.

Maybe it faults due to the missing MPG gauge? But why would it, as long as the MPG info is still being sent to the ECU from the engine? I don't see the hitch here unless the ECU detects the missing gauge as a short or something.

Does anyone here have knowledge or experience with this mod?

Thanks in advance!
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

No, but Trm maybe able to help you.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    No, but Trm maybe able to help you.
    ::nodding:: yes i thought it would be a no-brainer for them but Gary says they haven't done the mod in years and the guy who used to reprogram the clusters for them is gone.

I did keep digging though and found out the issue with placing the oil temp gauge in a US cluster is that the clusters themselves are programmed for US or UK and unless you reporgram your US cluster with UK programming, the temp gauge is treated like the MPG gauge and bobs around. But when you use UK programming in your US cluster then your tach and speedo don't read right and you must have them recalibrated for US. A place called Nichols Speedometer was cited as being able to do this and i'll be calling them on monday.
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Extra external gauge won't be quite as clean but it's a solution...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Nah gotta be clean.

One thing that did cross my mind was to try to put one of those round dual-needle gauges in the cluster itself in place of the water temp idiot gauge if it could be shoehorned in there somehow, maybe have to cut a hole in the back of the cluster housing.

Here's the perfect thing from Westach, universal dual-temp gauge, 2": http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....mber=WM-DUALTP

Put that in the cluster and hook up directly to the desired sensors - water and oil temp in this case - and i know North Hollywood Speedometer can make them the perfect amber.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by susan28 Click here to enlarge
    Nah gotta be clean.

One thing that did cross my mind was to try to put one of those round dual-needle gauges in the cluster itself in place of the water temp idiot gauge if it could be shoehorned in there somehow, maybe have to cut a hole in the back of the cluster housing.

Here's the perfect thing from Westach, universal dual-temp gauge, 2": http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....mber=WM-DUALTP

Put that in the cluster and hook up directly to the desired sensors - water and oil temp in this case - and i know North Hollywood Speedometer can make them the perfect amber.
    If you want it nice and clean then yes, you are going to need to put in the cluster.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I wouldn't waste my money on that, but max psi has an afr gauge they can install there. Its looks awesome and clean.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge