Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Weird Half Engine Light Indication

I've been in Germany for a couple of days. The second day the car begun to display a half engine light (the large one in the middle of the instrument cluster). It happened every time it begun to build boost, even at a few PSI. I only had a generic code reader with me (the Torque app) and no fault codes were displayed. The car runned well during the time but with no boost until it was restarted, and then the alram came again at boost.

Yesterday on the way home to Sweden I was able to drive it at 18+ PSI again with zero problem during the long 1000 km trip Click here to enlarge.

Anyone having experienced the same phenomena?

I've been running for years with no fault codes so the first thing that comes to mind is if anything was changed before the journey. This is driving the car on 30% e85 and the BMS OCC and that it was 10 Deg C warmer these days than up to now this year. None of this should be causing problems though but I begun to run 102 octane gas (RON) in Germany, with no change.

Perhaps the BT cable will see something if the fault occurs again. No long cranks and AFR and timing were fine even when the fault existed. The WG bushings feels OK too and no rattle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps the BT cable will see something if the fault occurs again.
    +1. Hopefully the ECU will generate a couple of codes that could be useful for the fault finding.
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Big Tom Click here to enlarge
    +1. Hopefully the ECU will generate a couple of codes that could be useful for the fault finding.
    I was surprised that I didn't see any codes since the ECU for sure generated the indication. The generic tool doesn't care about the meaning of a code so it is a bit of a mystery, and the Procede is not set to auto-clear codes...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The logs were stored in the ECU and could be checked with the BT cable.
    30FF and 30FE at several occasions, which should be boost leak IMO. The front has hit ground a few times so I guess the leak is on the IC input or output. The first Half Engine Light came at the end of a long pull on higher gears.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yep boost leak

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If FC 3100, 30FE, and/or 30FF are the only faults stored in the memory, then those faults must be the
    primary focus of the troubleshooting. These faults are stored due to a reduction in boost, possibly caused
    by one of the following items:
     Leaks or restrictions in the induction system, loose clamps, cracked pipes or housings
     Air path disruption, aftermarket air filter, air filter housing, induction tubes, etc.
     An imbalance in turbo charging between cylinder banks one and two
     Waste gate valve binding, loose or leaking
     Leaks or restrictions in the vacuum control for waste gates, actuators, solenoids, supply hoses, etc.
     Intercooler leaks due to damage from road debris
     Leaks or restrictions in the exhaust system.
    To help diagnose these faults, follow the test plan provided for the relative faults stored.
    The Turbocharger Diagnostic Tool PN 81 29 0 426 464 can only be operated in conjunction with the
    DIS Plus. The GT1 with MIB does not operate this tool. Refer to SI B04 04 07 (Turbo Diagnostic Tool)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

If you cannot find any reason easily, you could try getting new boost solenoids, as they are cheap and could be faulty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I removed the wheels, the bottom plate and the complete front section. What has happened is that the BigTom IC has moved rearwards due to ground contacts... The outlet hose from the IC was broken with a large hole.

The IC has so far been strapped to the frame, and I've not been happy with this cheap solution. So I added steel support angles on each side of it and screwed it to the upper front steel bar. Luckily I had a new 90 degree silicon hose at home to replace the broken one.

Test drive tomorrow after putting the parts toghether again, but I'm fully confident the problem is fixed now and the fastening of the IC is no more Donald Duck style Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    Test drive tomorrow after putting the parts toghether again, but I'm fully confident the problem is fixed now and the fastening of the IC is no more Donald Duck style
    Let us know...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Let us know...
    Done ! It feels like I've got a Single Turbo Click here to enlarge