Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Does 30/70 E85/91oct mix on flash tune have any advantages?

I'm running GIAC stage 2 (non-race) map, FBO. Will using 30% E85 have advantage or will I need to run the race map? Not interested in meth at this time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure it will help. With a good flash tune the fuel trims should be neutral so a small 15-20% E85 mix might be enough to hold full advance even in higher gears.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Another question, at what ratio would running E85/91 equal to 50/50 meth+91?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    50/50 meth would probably always have the performance advantage due to the triple effect of iat cooling, octane, and egt reduciton. E85 is essentially less expensive racing fuel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    with flash tune you will probably get mixture control codes (running lean) . You need a specific map at least thats how it is with cobb.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really wanted to run E85 with my Cobb AP..but unfortunately short of a protune I felt it wouldn't be a good idea...

So now I got two 5 gallon gas cans with E85 in my garage ready to run with JB4...if I like it too much I probabay won't go back to the Cobb tune until after they officially releases Meth maps

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So with the COBB meth map, you'd be able to run E85 mix without actual meth injection?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With the JB4 even map 2 pulls noticeably harder when there's e85 in the mix...and on map 7....3rd gear feels like 2nd now!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    So with the COBB meth map, you'd be able to run E85 mix without actual meth injection?
    no, you will throw lean codes. you need a map specifically done for running a mix of E85.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    I really wanted to run E85 with my Cobb AP..but unfortunately short of a protune I felt it wouldn't be a good idea...

So now I got two 5 gallon gas cans with E85 in my garage ready to run with JB4...if I like it too much I probabay won't go back to the Cobb tune until after they officially releases Meth maps
    Is the software from Cobb not out yet to do custom tuning for various setups?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is the software from Cobb not out yet to do custom tuning for various setups?
    It is out for Cobb authorized tuning shops but not for the individual user
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    It is out for Cobb authorized tuning shops but not for the individual user
    So for those wanting E85 maps there are options.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I saw EFI talking about messing with e85, but I dont think they've posted results. They are the only ones I've seen doing custom tunes for Cobb on the other forum.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge

Help us test out the new alpha map 5. We've added some logic to learn various E85 mixes. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Help us test out the new alpha map 5. We've added some logic to learn various E85 mixes. Click here to enlarge
    I would be happy to test it out Click here to enlarge

Just got a boost leak today so hopefully by tomorrow I will fix up the leak, load up the new maps, and send some logs your way! Thanks as always!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So for those wanting E85 maps there are options.
    If you can find a tuner that is willing to purchase the N5x software. I have a tuner near me that has tuned hundreds of Subarus on the COBB platform, but is unwilling to invest in ProTune setup for N5x.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Someone on the other forum mentioned mixing methanol into the fuel and running an M85 mix...what do you guys think? In terms of corrosiveness, both methanol and ethanol seem to be pretty much the same...this is for those that don't have ethanol in abundance like you guys in the US
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I used to mix 91 octane with denatured alky to pass smog checks in Mexico. It would raise the octane up too of course. But I'm not sure I'd suggest that. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    If you can find a tuner that is willing to purchase the N5x software. I have a tuner near me that has tuned hundreds of Subarus on the COBB platform, but is unwilling to invest in ProTune setup for N5x.
    Because ATP won't result in anything significant for most to warrant a 500$ investment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Because ATP won't result in anything significant for most to warrant a 500$ investment.
    Exactly. $5k for him even though he's already invested in ATP for Subaru and Nissan. Perhaps in an area where BMW tuning is more abundant, but not here in Colorado.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Someone on the other forum mentioned mixing methanol into the fuel and running an M85 mix...what do you guys think? In terms of corrosiveness, both methanol and ethanol seem to be pretty much the same...this is for those that don't have ethanol in abundance like you guys in the US
    M85 was actually a huge initiative in California, they opened up a ton of methanol pumps back in the day and started fueling regular cars with meth, and auto makers started making fuel systems more corrosion resistant in the 1980's specifically for this and the 10-15% ethanol we began mixing into the fuel. We should be fine in a 21st century BMW! If you have access to an abundance of methanol why not? If I had more access I'd be running a mix of 91/e85/m85/xylene and toluene with a little 2,5 DMF... the ultimate fuel!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I don't know if they are quite the same, ethanol burns cleaner and is said to be less corrosive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    no, you will throw lean codes. you need a map specifically done for running a mix of E85.
    That is incorrect, I have been running 50/50 91/E85 for the last 2 weeks on Stage 2+ FMIC with no issues.
    Also running water/meth on top of it with no issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone running a mix should really watch trims, and specifically at part throttle. Most AFR targets mid range, maybe <10psi are pretty close to stoich. And i've seen trims in the +20s with Cobb at part throttle. So try logging all driving situations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LQQKOUT Click here to enlarge
    That is incorrect, I have been running 50/50 91/E85 for the last 2 weeks on Stage 2+ FMIC with no issues.
    Also running water/meth on top of it with no issues.
    maybe stock turbos wont throw codes , mine always did.
    Click here to enlarge