Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 216
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    regardless, i misquoted. rule out the cobb,

    JB4-racefuel-run it- compare
    Read the OP, he DID run the JB4 by itself

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,468
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Read the OP, he DID run the JB4 by itself
    yes, at 15 and 16 psi, nothing gonna happen at that psi..

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    yes, at 15 and 16 psi, nothing gonna happen at that psi..
    So you didn't trap 123 mph at 16 psi? Enrita should have stayed much closer or beat big Tom , assuming TD turbos are equal to RBs

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,682
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    RB's, at least on my car, with just 13psi will trap (put down the same power) as stock turbos with race+meth all out (~400whp)

    At 16psi, car puts down around ~450whp which should really be significantly faster already than a stock turbo car...at 19-20psi, its not even comparable
    Click here to enlarge

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,468
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    So you didn't trap 123 mph at 16 psi? Enrita should have stayed much closer or beat big Tom , assuming TD turbos are equal to RBs
    was enrita's car stripped interior on 100% racefuel/95% meth?

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    was enrita's car stripped interior on 100% racefuel/95% meth?
    I thought your quarter mile passes were done full weight?

    Doesnt matter, if he's nearly 4 cars behind big Tom who has stock turbos something's up.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,468
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    big Tom who has stock turbos something's up.
    thats the key statement..

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    RB's, at least on my car, with just 13psi will trap (put down the same power) as stock turbos with race+meth all out (~400whp)

    At 16psi, car puts down around ~450whp which should really be significantly faster already than a stock turbo car...at 19-20psi, its not even comparable
    I need to get this overboosting crap sorted away. Click here to enlarge

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    thats the key statement..
    And enrita has turbos that are supposedly as good as RB/ASR , but IMO they are not.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,468
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    well, seems i would be be incorrect, i just scanned over the 16 psi log, and enrita's timing looks better than mine did..

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    1,121
    Rep Points
    2,386.6
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    Yes Reputation No
    The only thing I could think with the turbos would be the Internal Wastegate condition or the Wastegate Actuator Adjustment. TD2 Turbos are very similar to RBs. They "should" perform nearly the same. I do believe the turbine is not as large, being a slightly smaller variant, but still should be very close in performance all things considered. The problem TD has is that they attempt to "refurbish" of the original internal WG equipment. The original material is soft and will wear out very quickly over again especially when reground smaller (to true up the dimensions) as they optionally offer. Another concern I'd have is that the turbos' housings may have moved in "clocking" orientation and the actuators thus are no longer in proper adjustment, which very easily could happen if the turbos were taken apart for inspection. Actuator readjustment after your engine build is something that hopefully was checked out. As for the turbo itself and long as the shaft still spins freely and the wheels fins are all still in good condition the turbos should be doing their job just fine. I havent looked at the logs, but to those who look at them regularly I would think there would be some notice of an issue if any of the above were a significant problem.
    Ultimately I'm with Dzenno first comment. Just do a compression test and/or leakdown. I am reasonably sure that if your compression test resulted in alarmly poor results that it could also be the cam adjustment, a poor short block engine build, or even possibly something with a bad valve job or head assembly (spring installed heights, etc). I would doubt the porting itself would cause a problem unless someone really went nuts on them without any knowledge of what they were doing.
    Also cat converters can break apart and cause significant restrictions in the exhaust, causing turtle performance as well when all else seems well- although this is typically pretty rare it should not be ruled out.
    Good luck enrita, it definitely is no fun putting so much into a car and yeilding so little in performance.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,682
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just dont downgrade to an m3 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,468
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Just dont downgrade to an m3 Click here to enlarge
    OH!! TODAY IS OPPOSITE DAY!?

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,347
    Rep Points
    2,757.4
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    LOL.


    I still dont see the cam timing being the issue. These motors are super sensitive to timing. Even with the M62s, if you are even 1 tooth off, you will get an SES light upon startup. Car will run great and drive good, but the code that pops up will indicate either cam being retarded/advanced beyond limit.

    What about a slowly starting to fail vanos solenoid? I know they will cause limp mode when they permanently fail or get clogged with oil sludge, but what if its starting to work on the outside limits of its range?


    The only other concern would be the trans is absorbing more power than we originally thought. LM never ran his car at the track with it, and although I drove it for an entire weekend to Bimmerfest, I had no previous experience in the car, so I couldnt tell if it was faster or not.


    Who else is running a built trans?

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,083
    Rep Points
    9,061.7
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    91


    Yes Reputation No
    In the absence of anything obvious I think getting it on a dynojet would be a good next move where you can control the environment and see where it stands. Cam timing being off is unlikely as it would idle poorly but a bad head port or valve job could be the cause. Has anyone else ever done an impressive dynojet run on those turbos?

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    338
    Rep Points
    442.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Yes head was shaved and thicker gasket used. Timing chain probably still the same, there is a tensioner there so dont think could be stretched.
    gonna:
    - test new jb board on 18 psi across
    if still bad vbox times
    - check the exhaust cats and turbines
    if ok
    - do a leak down
    if thats ok
    - check cams timings
    if thats ok
    Live with it...
    Do you know how much the head was milled and how much thicker the new gasket is? I don't think it is an issue though even if the head sits a bit higher than stock, and it may sit almost as stock since the milling and increased gasket height evens out . What will happen if the head is raised is that both cams are pulled forward vs. the crank. If the head is e.g. raised by 1 mm this would change the cam settings by a few degrees, which moves the torque curve a couple of 100 RPM's, i.e. nothing dramatic.

    It is really annoying that a car like yours with improved turbos is not running well. It seems it is about a second slower 100-200 km/h than first tested with upgraded turbos and JB3. This corresponds to a huge power loss. What on earth is going on...

    Take a compression test too when the plugs are out. Some cylinder may not seal well, which should be discovered by the leak down test if so.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,926
    Rep Points
    1,372.7
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    LOL.I still dont see the cam timing being the issue. These motors are super sensitive to timing. Even with the M62s, if you are even 1 tooth off, you will get an SES light upon startup. Car will run great and drive good, but the code that pops up will indicate either cam being retarded/advanced beyond limit.What about a slowly starting to fail vanos solenoid? I know they will cause limp mode when they permanently fail or get clogged with oil sludge, but what if its starting to work on the outside limits of its range? The only other concern would be the trans is absorbing more power than we originally thought. LM never ran his car at the track with it, and although I drove it for an entire weekend to Bimmerfest, I had no previous experience in the car, so I couldnt tell if it was faster or not.Who else is running a built trans?
    Was there a time span between the engine rebuild and the trans rebuild? If yes, how did the car run in between the rebuilds?

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Was there a time span between the engine rebuild and the trans rebuild? If yes, how did the car run in between the rebuilds?
    Same as now.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    Do you know how much the head was milled and how much thicker the new gasket is? I don't think it is an issue though even if the head sits a bit higher than stock, and it may sit almost as stock since the milling and increased gasket height evens out . What will happen if the head is raised is that both cams are pulled forward vs. the crank. If the head is e.g. raised by 1 mm this would change the cam settings by a few degrees, which moves the torque curve a couple of 100 RPM's, i.e. nothing dramatic.

    It is really annoying that a car like yours with improved turbos is not running well. It seems it is about a second slower 100-200 km/h than first tested with upgraded turbos and JB3. This corresponds to a huge power loss. What on earth is going on...

    Take a compression test too when the plugs are out. Some cylinder may not seal well, which should be discovered by the leak down test if so.
    Head Gasket 1,52mm, oem bmw for rebuilds. No idea about the head milling.
    yeah quite annoying... Will do a leak down test to see engine condition, but considering how well the engine runs i doubt there is an issue, also oil level still full after 7000 km including track days , autobahn, races etc.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    338
    Rep Points
    442.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Very strange, this indicates the engine is sealed, it is almost like one turbo is on leave Click here to enlarge

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    Very strange, this indicates the engine is sealed, it is almost like one turbo is on leave Click here to enlarge
    Will check EGTs today. Last i checked one bank was running 500F higher than other one. No smoke .
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    338
    Rep Points
    442.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Will check EGTs today. Last i checked one bank was running 500F higher than other one. No smoke .
    500F higher than normal on this bank?

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    338
    Rep Points
    442.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Problem with one or both WG's? I'm leaning towards such problem at the moment...

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12



    Yes Reputation No
    That might explain boost oscillations on cobb which stated my turbos are very boost happy. I also have quite some wg rattle at the moment. Boost seems fine though on jb.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    338
    Rep Points
    442.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    With a bit of luck you can sell truck loads of nose protectors to competitors at the next event :-)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •