Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    369
    Rep Points
    442.3
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    E92 M3 w/ light mods vs GTR on the Road Course - M3 is quicker

    Just in case you guys were curious, I found this comparison very informative for the community.


    Here is a lightly modded E92 M3 on PS Cups


    Vs.


    Stock 2010 GTR on various tire set ups


    Both driven by Daytona 24/hr champion Leh Keen


    Note: The weather was different on each day of the videos


    M3 1:16.95



    Stock GTR 1:20.1
    Stock GTR + 285 Square Pilot Super Sports 1:18.8







    I was told by a member at TopSpeed a 570awhp GTR with JRZ suspension and Toyo R888's was turning mid/low 1:16's with Leh behind the wheel (for reference)
    Alpha ///N - YouTube: 95CSL
    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -169.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Nice. Bringing Michelin Cups to track is like bringing machine gun to a knife fight though. Sure it's not truly a slick tire, but it grips much harder than PSS.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Wow, that is very impressive for the M3. Obviously it is a power disadvantage so it is making it up in the corners. Damn, that is impressive!

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    It's a manual too... dude can drive!

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Moved this to 3 Series -> E9X

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Nice. Bringing Michelin Cups to track is like bringing machine gun to a knife fight though. Sure it's not truly a slick tire, but it grips much harder than PSS.
    Still, the M3 is rear wheel drive and has far less power. If a modded GTR with suspension work is turning similar times to an M3 on the Sport Cups well that is damn impressive for the M3.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,894
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's a manual too... dude can drive!
    Leh Keen is a damn good driver. He won the Rolex GT championship last year.

    Drives for Brumos Racing.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    115
    Rep Points
    169.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Very impressive indeed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,086
    Rep Points
    2,185.2
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Leh Keen is a damn good driver. He won the Rolex GT championship last year.

    Drives for Brumos Racing.
    well that helps.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    208.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Different tires and different weather/days... not comparable

    For lap times, tires are the single biggest factor. Power matters much less.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    1,986
    Rep Points
    2,386.1
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    Yes Reputation No
    didnt the new z28 just turn better lap times than the new GTR?
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    Different tires and different weather/days... not comparable

    For lap times, tires are the single biggest factor. Power matters much less.
    It's like saying the M3 doesn't have turbos and its cheaper so not comparable. Just goes to show how good of a car it is.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    208.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's like saying the M3 doesn't have turbos and its cheaper so not comparable. Just goes to show how good of a car it is.
    Its not, tires are far more important than any other factor on a road course.. but I know you just do straight line racing, so to put it in terms you can understand, if we ran your car on street tires and it ran a 12.0 because it couldn't get any grip, but then someone else's M3 that makes considerably less power than yours (say, with a different supercharger) ran 10.9 with slicks, and then we made an article saying "XX supercharger faster than Stickys!!!" you'd say, well no, on equal tires I should outrun him.

    Thats all I'm saying. A GT-R is a faster car all things being equal. In this article, they aren't equal. An M3 is still a fantastic car regardless.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    Its not, tires are far more important than any other factor on a road course..
    Ok and the GTR has all wheel drive too?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    but I know you just do straight line racing, so to put it in terms you can understand, if we ran your car on street tires and it ran a 12.0 because it couldn't get any grip, but then someone else's M3 that makes considerably less power than yours (say, with a different supercharger) ran 10.9 with slicks, and then we made an article saying "XX supercharger faster than Stickys!!!" you'd say, well no, on equal tires I should outrun him.
    I don't see how this changes the M3 with less power showing it is more than capable of running with and beating a GTR on the road course which shows how capable it is as a road course vehicle.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    Thats all I'm saying. A GT-R is a faster car all things being equal. In this article, they aren't equal. An M3 is still a fantastic car regardless.
    GTR isn't faster all things being equal as the M3 with less power just lapped faster than it. The point is if I wrote on the forum the M3 is quite capable and can outlap the GTR everyone call BS. Well, here's a video bowing minds and showing how high the limit on the car really is.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    208.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    So, you're just going to completely ignore the point?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    So, you're just going to completely ignore the point?
    You're just going to completely ignore mine?

    Oh tires matter? No kidding. So the M3 turns into a GTR destroyer with a change of rubber? Interesting.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    208.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You're just going to completely ignore mine?

    Oh tires matter? No kidding. So the M3 turns into a GTR destroyer with a change of rubber? Interesting.
    Sure, and an otherwise stock S2000 on Hoosier A6's would be faster than both of them. Anybody who has been to a racetrack could tell you this.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    Sure, and an otherwise stock S2000 on Hoosier A6's would be faster than both of them. Anybody who has been to a racetrack could tell you this.
    You don't have the same driver in both cars on the same course so you are just speculating.

    Plus the GTR ran Pilot Super Sports so not like it had some huge handicap or anything. The M3 still lapped quicker. Guess it's better on the roadcourse than people here understand which is the entire point.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    208.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You don't have the same driver in both cars on the same course so you are just speculating.

    Plus the GTR ran Pilot Super Sports so not like it had some huge handicap or anything. The M3 still lapped quicker. Guess it's better on the roadcourse than people here understand which is the entire point.
    You're right people have been saying M3's are horrible road course cars for 20+ years

    .... wait no they haven't.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    You're right people have been saying M3's are horrible road course cars for 20+ years

    .... wait no they haven't.
    The point was it's better than people here generally realize especially the straightline 335 crowd. Read my post above so you understand my point and don't put words in my mouth.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    208.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The point was it's better than people here generally realize especially the straightline 335 crowd. Read my post above so you understand my point and don't put words in my mouth.
    I guess if you want to make that point by comparing a car with coilovers, BBK, race tires and light power mods against a stock car on street tires, then... ok? Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    I guess if you want to make that point by comparing a car with coilovers, BBK, race tires and light power mods against a stock car on street tires, then... ok? Click here to enlarge
    Aren't those road course mods? Doesn't the GTR already come with some of those things? Does it change the fact the M3 is doing it with its cornering and not its power?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Rep Points
    208.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Aren't those road course mods? Doesn't the GTR already come with some of those things? Does it change the fact the M3 is doing it with its cornering and not its power?
    Does the GTR come with springs/shocks/brakes? Yes

    The M3 is doing its lap time primarily because of grip, which is primarily a function of tires.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,414
    Rep Points
    32,100.6
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    The M3 is doing its lap time primarily because of grip, which is primarily a function of tires.
    The GTR is equipped with excellent rubber. It is doing its lap time because it is a well balanced rear wheel drive car that is significantly lighter. Tires are part of a larger equation. The M3's suspension is also quite nice.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    So what did all of the mild mods consist of on the M3? This is interesting.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •