Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Cobb + BMS + Meth

So I've been thinking if it would be possible for Cobb and Terry@BMS to collaborate on a project where BMS manufactures and sells a meth kit + some sort of a hardware device which talks to the DME only for the purposes of methanol and Cobb does all the tuning.

I am tempted to run meth for it's cooling benefits (not as a fueling supplement) but I don't like the idea of a piggiback being stacked on top of my Cobb tune. I want Cobb meth maps and BMS hardware integration.

Comments, suggestions, ideas?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just use our non-integrated WW kit if you don't want substantially more aggressive tuning when meth is flowing. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ I just started using this; but with the tank in the trunk. Running stg2+agg with a CM5 nozzle just for it's cooling properties, plus I'm sure there's some octane benefits as well. If it fails, then no big deal and nothing to worry about.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Just use our non-integrated WW kit if you don't want substantially more aggressive tuning when meth is flowing. Click here to enlarge
    Terry,

Thanks for the response. Where is the meth injection point with those kits? I have stock charge pipe + Forge DVs and my Hybrid Intake Sytem I wrote about here: http://199.192.200.202/DIY-N54-Hybrid-Intake.pdf

So space is VERY tight there as it is right now.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Terry,

Thanks for the response. Where is the meth injection point with those kits? I have stock charge pipe + Forge DVs and my Hybrid Intake Sytem I wrote about here: http://199.192.200.202/DIY-N54-Hybrid-Intake.pdf

So space is VERY tight there as it is right now.
    With the stock CP, people use the AR Elbow or the new BMW elbow with meth bung. It would be located under your cone filter.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    With the stock CP, people use the AR Elbow or the new BMW elbow with meth bung. It would be located under your cone filter.

I have absolutely no space there. ..or it seems to me that way. I guess I need to see some local cars with the AR elbow to see how it is.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i run jb4 on top of cobb everyday. Terry is very helpful and its new firmware/settings let you run cobb with added psi on top with safety if you have a flow sensor. perfedt.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have absolutely no space there. ..or it seems to me that way. I guess I need to see some local cars with the AR elbow to see how it is.
    In case you determine you have no space, I guess an aftermarket CP where Meth bungs are closer to the throttle would help
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In case you determine you have no space, I guess an aftermarket CP where Meth bungs are closer to the throttle would help
    Unfortunately, the BOVs on most aftermarket charge pipes are located right in the middle where my intake plumbing is. Click here to enlarge

Also, I don't want to purchase a full JB4 just to get meth flowing. There has to be a simpler solution. Hence the original question.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Unfortunately, the BOVs on most aftermarket charge pipes are located right in the middle where my intake plumbing is. Click here to enlarge

Also, I don't want to purchase a full JB4 just to get meth flowing. There has to be a simpler solution. Hence the original question.
    The ER CP has the stock positioning for the DVs, and an ok placement for the meth bung. That's the CP I have with Forge DVs and a similar intake, all though my filter's pointing more to the left behind the power steering reservoir due to the pump positioning with the braket.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I tried this topic on for size in Feb...

http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...ckage&p=257158

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm interested in this too but I'm on stock turbos...if Stage 2+ is boosting ~18.5ish already I dot wanna spin the guts on the stock turbos..

Would be nice for Cobb to work with Terry for Cobb users who have JB4..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    The ER CP has the stock positioning for the DVs, and an ok placement for the meth bung. That's the CP I have with Forge DVs and a similar intake, all though my filter's pointing more to the left behind the power steering reservoir due to the pump positioning with the braket.
    Hmmm! Thanks for the tip! I need to look this up!
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    i run jb4 on top of cobb everyday. Terry is very helpful and its new firmware/settings let you run cobb with added psi on top with safety if you have a flow sensor. perfedt.
    Which cobb map are you currently running? My Cobb AP is being delivered next week and since I already have a BMS WW kit then I'm planning to use a similar setup to yourself
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can the methanol be sprayed before the intercooler but after the turbos?
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    I'm interested in this too but I'm on stock turbos...if Stage 2+ is boosting ~18.5ish already I dot wanna spin the guts on the stock turbos..

Would be nice for Cobb to work with Terry for Cobb users who have JB4..
    Realistically speaking with meth you are better off running JB4 only. The JB4+Cobb is beneficial for those with large turbos who need the base fuel maps shifted around, and want to lock in a lower advance limit for engine safety reasons at higher power levels without having to rely on CPS. But I do understand many Cobb users want to use meth for the cooling benefits, heatsoak reduction, 10-15hp gains without map changes, etc, so we have the basic WW kit for them. You set the turn on point. We suggest 10psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    Vasil, that was teh CP I'm talking about. I bought it but have not installed yet. I'll take a picture when I get home to give an idea

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothing wrong with a piggyback on stock turbos + meth. Plenty of fuel to go around and your trims will trend negative on a sustained pull with the standard CM10.

On Upgraded turbos it becomes more of a challenge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Vasil, that was teh CP I'm talking about. I bought it but have not installed yet. I'll take a picture when I get home to give an idea

I'd highly appreciate it if you can take some close-ups of how much room there is with the ER Charge pipe.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Realistically speaking with meth you are better off running JB4 only. The JB4+Cobb is beneficial for those with large turbos who need the base fuel maps shifted around, and want to lock in a lower advance limit for engine safety reasons at higher power levels without having to rely on CPS. But I do understand many Cobb users want to use meth for the cooling benefits, heatsoak reduction, 10-15hp gains without map changes, etc, so we have the basic WW kit for them. You set the turn on point. We suggest 10psi.
    Thanks for the response Terry...!

Im thinking about waiting until Cobbs official release of race and meth maps...Until then tonight I think I will be going back to JB4 and just run E85 mix with 91 on map 5...Seems like much less hassle and risk then meth at this point and I'm kinda going to wait it out and see how Cobb approaches Meth maps on a public scale (meaning if they support or have optimized off the shelf maps with a certain meth kit..)

JB4 on E85 is another story! Last week I got RAPED by a stock E90 335i with JB4 and 40/60 mix of E85/91...He had no other mods besides JB4 and gas while I'm FBO (AR Downpipes, CX racing FMIC + Hot and cold piping, BMS DCi, ER Chargepipe) on Stage 2+ Sport with 91 octane..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Smile

Im thinking about waiting until Cobbs official release of race and meth maps...Until then tonight I think I will be going back to JB4 and just run E85 mix with 91 on map 5...Seems like much less hassle and risk then meth at this point and I'm kinda going to wait it out and see how Cobb approaches Meth maps on a public scale (meaning if they support or have optimized off the shelf maps with a certain meth kit..)

JB4 on E85 is another story! Last week I got RAPED by a stock E90 335i with JB4 and 40/60 mix of E85/91...He had no other mods besides JB4 and gas while I'm FBO (AR Downpipes, CX racing FMIC + Hot and cold piping, BMS DCi, ER Chargepipe) on Stage 2+ Sport with 91 octane..
    cobb is working on maps methanolClick here to enlarge

soon will come out to users

be patient
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I switched out my coolingmist kit recently for the Aquamist HFS4...From experience with both kits I can tell you that the HFS4 is more refined in many aspects (atomization, control, fittings, wiring) when compared standalone to any other w/m kit on the market. It is also considerably more expensive than some other kits.

On the car, in terms of nozzle placement, I've reworked it a bit since before. I've got full 3" custom intercooler piping from the fmic outlet to the throttle body. Initially I ran two 1.0mm nozzles at the standard ER charge pipe location. Throughout testing I've found that moving those two 1mm nozzles down to the silicone coupler at the FMIC outlet and leaving one nozzle up at the charge pipe provided better results.

Jeff Howerton (howertonengineering.com) has some really nice silicone coupler meth nozzle fittings that worked out really well. Here's a pic of the silicone coupler/dual nozzle setup post-fmic on my car:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

E85 is good stuff. Like race gas! Click here to enlarge Since we've released our WW meth kit I'd say we've shipped around 400 of them. It's really a meth for the masses approach and once you get used to the JB4 + WW meth at say 17psi you'll never look back. The key to making it as safe as possible is the progressive integration. The JB4 auto tunes on your meth mix, then only increases to that more aggressive tuning as a function of meth flow. So you have two layers of safety there. Every now and again we'll get a customer with a WW install that has meth flowing but is running only 13psi. So they start pulling their hair out wondering what they installed wrong, eventually send a log in, and we'll see timing is sitting at 13psi pump gas levels even with meth flowing. Normally it turns out they were trying to use wiper fluid, or some really old meth, things they could never know based on flow alone. My point is the dual layer protection (autotuning + meth flow) is pretty important IMHO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I switched out my coolingmist kit recently for the Aquamist HFS4...From experience with both kits I can tell you that the HFS4 is more refined in many aspects (atomization, control, fittings, wiring) when compared standalone to any other w/m kit on the market. It is also considerably more expensive than some other kits.

On the car, in terms of nozzle placement, I've reworked it a bit since before. I've got full 3" custom intercooler piping from the fmic outlet to the throttle body. Initially I ran two 1.0mm nozzles at the standard ER charge pipe location. Throughout testing I've found that moving those two 1mm nozzles down to the silicone coupler at the FMIC outlet and leaving one nozzle up at the charge pipe provided better results.

Jeff Howerton (howertonengineering.com) has some really nice silicone coupler meth nozzle fittings that worked out really well. Here's a pic of the silicone coupler/dual nozzle setup post-fmic on my car:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...4_190042-1.jpg
    my tubierias of ic are 3 inches for more than 2 years

rb you with turbos, what to watch for are the temperature of water andoil as it is considerably incrementanta rb turbos
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    water and oil temps are always in check on my car, nothing to worry about there
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast