Close

Thread: Squeaky DCIs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Squeaky DCIs

Strange thread I know but it seems that every time I lift off the throttle, I get a nasty loud squeak from the DCIs. I put the OEM airbox back on and the noise went and came back with the DCIs on the car. I've messed around with the filters but it hasn't made a difference.

Anyone else had this issue?
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe normal diverter valve action. Or could be a sign of a stuck or damaged diverter valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am sure that the same noise is there, but the airbox acts like a muffler, while the DCI just lets the noise out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Velocity26 Click here to enlarge
    I am sure that the same noise is there, but the airbox acts like a muffler, while the DCI just lets the noise out.
    +1 ,beat me to it
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Velocity26 Click here to enlarge
    Even if muffled shouldn't he still be able to hear it?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I tested it with the airbox + drop in filter and there was no noise whatsoever. The car has Forge DVs which seem to be operating correctly and are only a couple of months old. One thing I noticed is that the front cone is very close to the DV so it looks like it could be touching.

I have read on e90post of a few others who have had the same issue. It seems to me that it is a placement issue rather than anything else.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    I have read on e90post of a few others who have had the same issue. It seems to me that it is a placement issue rather than anything else.
    So how do you resolve it?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Placement of the DCI filters will not create or resolve any noises. Perhaps try throwing the OEM DVs on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Placement of the DCI filters will not create or resolve any noises. Perhaps try throwing the OEM DVs on.
    Yeah you're right, I put the stock airbox back on and the noise is still there Click here to enlarge

I have a feeling that it might be linked to the suspension or motor mounts. I managed to get a poor quality iphone video which shows the noise. It only seems to happen when I let off the gas pedal sharply. It sounds like a bird is squeaking in the engine bay.

I'm changine the rotors and pads all round tomorrow so will take a look at the front suspension whilst I'm there. Car has done 80k miles on rubbish roads so worn suspension components is a possibility.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I get the same squeak too with OEM charge pipe/OEM diverter valves and with Cobb Stage 1 and BMS DCI, but not with stock tune and DCI. I'm guessing the sound is coming from the diverted valves opening to let out the excess air when I lift up the throttle suddenly after accelerating.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jeffman Click here to enlarge
    I get the same squeak too with OEM charge pipe/OEM diverter valves and with Cobb Stage 1 and BMS DCI, but not with stock tune and DCI. I'm guessing the sound is coming from the diverted valves opening to let out the excess air when I lift up the throttle suddenly after accelerating.
    I rebuilt my Forge DVs with new internals and greased them up and the noise went.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    I rebuilt my Forge DVs with new internals and greased them up and the noise went.
    Thanks. My Forge DVs are ordered and enroute! Did yours make noise new?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jeffman Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. My Forge DVs are ordered and enroute! Did yours make noise new?
    I don't think so because they should be greased up from new. When you open the DVs to change the spring you should see red grease inside them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It's worth buying a valve service kit (FMDVSK), so you have a spare set of o-rings, piston and grease for the yearly maintenance.

E.g. go to Forge Motorsports web site and search for FMDVSK. Then from here select option FMDVBM35.
    The grease will last you ages even if it's just a small zip bag.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. That's good advice!