Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

This is more about the 6MT being uber fail than the single turbo being uber fail. Regardless, I'm a proud owner of RB turbos so I have to chuckle a bit at this video! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I found the video amusing but in all seriousness I would like to see a direct comparison.

If parties are willing, let's make it happen.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Funny BUT.....
    wheel hop spin shift hop spin shift bog....repeat 20 plus times vs
    hook run 3-4 times, blow a tranny.

Id pick number 1 personally.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

The video gave me a good laugh. I've been talking about usability way before Shiv even released his single turbo manifold, but my comments on the other forum were met with the usual attitude.

On the side note: WTF is this black smoke? Is this due to the NLS functionality in Procede?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    WTF is this black smoke?
    Too much fuel dumped?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Too much fuel dumped?
    Yep, super rich condition there for a second. According to Shiv it's actually from hitting the rev limiter, not the no lift shift feature. Although I could see someone being more likely to hit the rev limit while using NLS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    This is more about the 6MT being uber fail than the single turbo being uber fail. Regardless, I'm a proud owner of RB turbos so I have to chuckle a bit at this video! Click here to enlarge
    +1 Let's see upcoming runs from 6AT cars (and hopefully the tranny will last).
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Funny BUT.....
    wheel hop spin shift hop spin shift bog....repeat 20 plus times vs
    hook run 3-4 times, blow a tranny.

Id pick number 1 personally.
    Lol, but do u think scenario 2 will be any different for the fftec AT?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    The single turbo is making almost 450 lb/ft torque at redline with that retarded upward tapering single turbo boost curve vs the 350lb/ft torque at redline on RB turbos. I'll take my chances with the RB turbos and reduce boost in the mid range.

On another note though, I did see that 6AT single turbo video and it looks absolutely beastly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

@Kalud

I think the important thing to take away from this, is that the rb launches were nowhere near aggressive at 2500rpm launch..

And to answer other questions, fftec 335 runs 11.5@128 full race prep/22 psi
    Rb turbo, full street trim, 17.5 psi, pump/meth,street tires, does 12.0@125

Draw your own conclusions.. but I would say wait until a non-proceed nuthugger gets some of that hardware if you want to see its potential..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

FBIS' car will get the kit soon. His review should be unbiased.
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

We will see. Tq at redline is not what kills the tranny. It the tq where it lands and through a shift.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Unbaised and useless as he never shows any performance testing. Expect a 3 page article and maybe a dyno if you are lucky.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Unbaised and useless as he never shows any performance testing. Expect a 3 page article and maybe a dyno if you are lucky.
    Well what's the point in reviewing a performance mod without showing performance figures? Click here to enlarge Doesn't he have a Vbox?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

We will see. Tq at redline is not what kills the tranny. It the tq where it lands and through a shift.
    From what I've seen Cobb do, the transmission has multiple ways of cutting torque during a shift event if the car is aware of the torque output. It will first cut timing as far as it can, then trim throttle to get torque down to acceptable levels. Problem is on piggybacks it thinks it's getting stock torque output and doesn't do anything. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's of note.

Even on stage 2 OTS mapping the cars shifting behavior is different from stock.

Cobb didn't do this intentionally, just a side effect of their MAF fix for fueling. They're smoothing it all out now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

@Kalud

I think the important thing to take away from this, is that the rb launches were nowhere near aggressive at 2500rpm launch..

Draw your own conclusions.. but I would say wait until a non-proceed nuthugger gets some of that hardware if you want to see its potential..
    Well if you want to compare 60-130 numbers, the single turbo is in the 6s where the best known 60-130 is 7.59 on a 1.8% slope on RB turbos.

I would say with proper traction and fueling the single turbo car is easily capable of handily outtrapping a RB turbo car.

But yes, as-is a RB turbo car will give the single turbo a run for its money at the drag strip. From a roll no way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    @Kalud

Lets draw my own conclusion then:

- You, in your car, with Shiv's single turbo on the same track you did your record (the same day, same temperature): low to mid 10s

- You, in your car, with RB's on Insideline's unprepped track (the same day, same temperature): high 11s

I like Sticky's suggestion for a real match, two AT, prepped track and good drivers (like you, obviously)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That nice apples to oranges video for sure shows that AT cars do wonder on drag racing and that 6MT are not the best tool for glorious drag races.

It really shows nothing useful to compare two great turbo options.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

@Kalud , you do realize that I pulled off an 11.43 ET with 126.6mph trap right? That's with a 1.8 60 foot. My car is a 6MT just like Shiv's but he decided to change out the final drive to improve his 60-130 times which now probably hurt his 1/4 mile runs. With the 3.08 diff he was getting 7.0-7.3 60-130 times...i'd LOVE to put on the 3.46 diff he's got and rerun my 60-130mph runs BUT I'd never stick with a 3.46 on my car...he did it just to beat that time, and all the power to him! lol

In MY car, not talking about anyone else, hypothetically speaking, if I ever get a good run with a 1.5 60' like some 6ATs do (and this probably won't ever happen in this lifetime), my car, with RB turbos and FBO and meth, will be in the high 10s...about a 10.8 ET...this will impact trap speed of course...

On top of this, AT THE TRACK, not on the road, I've run 128mph on the vbox the time I got that 126.6mph slip...This is not a fluke, it was repeatable...

On top of all that, the tune still was half done, timing curve was way overly conservative (only 5deg down low to 10deg up top) and boost was 21psi down to 17.5psi at redline...shiv's timing curve is MORE aggressive, 22psi across, way more efficient single, and 4 large meth nozzles netting much larger/finer meth flow than what I had that day...

People, get this in your head, the single turbo HAS POTENTIAL, is showing great dyno numbers, just has NO RESULTS to back it up yet like it should and i HOPE it does otherwise the big power game from that camp isn't looking promising...who would seriously spend 2-3x times more on a single and get nothing notable out of it in the end where it matters...if all you're looking for is that dyno sheet, go over to your dyno shop and snatch a vette sheet or something, wtf!

Picture running an RB car and Shiv's single turbo down the track and some random people standing around...all they'd see in the end is DEFINITELY NOT what we're talking about here...they'd see 2 strong performing BMWs going down, not much difference between each other at the end of the day...they'd also probably laugh it off in their redneck ways and tell both drivers that BMWs are not built for the drag strip LOL $#@!ers
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 04-26-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    @Kalud , you do realize that I pulled off an 11.43 ET with 126.6mph trap right? That's with a 1.8 60 foot. My car is a 6MT just like Shiv's but he decided to change out the final drive to improve his 60-130 times which now probably hurt his 1/4 mile runs. With the 3.08 diff he was getting 7.0-7.3 60-130 times...i'd LOVE to put on the 3.46 diff he's got and rerun my 60-130mph runs BUT I'd never stick with a 3.46 on my car...he did it just to beat that time, and all the power to him! lol

In MY car, not talking about anyone else, hypothetically speaking, if I ever get a good run with a 1.5 60' like some 6ATs do (and this probably won't ever happen in this lifetime), my car, with RB turbos and FBO and meth, will be in the high 10s...about a 10.8 ET...this will impact trap speed of course...

On top of this, AT THE TRACK, not on the road, I've run 128mph on the vbox the time I got that 126.6mph slip...This is not a fluke, it was repeatable...

On top of all that, the tune still was half done, timing curve was way overly conservative (only 5deg down low to 10deg up top) and boost was 21psi down to 17.5psi at redline...shiv's timing curve is MORE aggressive, 22psi across, way more efficient single, and 4 large meth nozzles netting much larger/finer meth flow than what I had that day...

People, get this in your head, the single turbo HAS POTENTIAL, just has NO RESULTS to back it up yet like it should and i HOPE it does otherwise the big power game from that camp isn't looking promising...who would seriously spend 2-3x times more on a single and get nothing notable out of it in the end...

Picture running an RB car and Shiv's single turbo down the track and some random people standing around...all they'd see in the end is DEFINITELY what we're talking about here...they'd see 2 strong performing BMWs going down, not much difference between each other at the end of the day...they'd also probably laugh it off in their redneck ways and tell both drivers that BMWs are not built for the drag strip LOL $#@!ers
    Make sense, 1.5 60' on a 6MT is hard to do, AT has a important edge here on quarter mile track.

Will all that said, my point still holds, the video compares apples to oranges and has nothing to do with RBs vs single turbo like LM would like to make it look like.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kalud Click here to enlarge
    Make sense, 1.5 60' on a 6MT is hard to do, AT has a important edge here on quarter mile track.

Will all that said, my point still holds, the video compares apples to oranges and has nothing to do with RBs vs single turbo like LM would like to make it look like.
    Of course the vid applies and its NOT apples vs. oranges. Its two 335i BMWs racing down the 1/4 and showing times/traps. Ask a bystander at the track what he thinks the difference is. He'll look at the slip and say, NOT MUCH...forget the forum NONSENSE
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Of course the vid applies and its NOT apples vs. oranges. Its two 335i BMWs racing down the 1/4 and showing times/traps. Ask a bystander at the track what he thinks the difference is. He'll look at the slip and say, NOT MUCH...forget the forum NONSENSE
    Well, we won't agree on that one so its a waste of time, but the conditions of the track (VHT) and the 6MT vs 6AT launch capabilities differences alone makes this apples to oranges in my opinion, but how cares really...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Great reviews from him, don't get me wrong, but they pander to the vendor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Lets draw my own conclusion then:

- You, in your car, with Shiv's single turbo on the same track you did your record (the same day, same temperature): low to mid 10s

- You, in your car, with RB's on Insideline's unprepped track (the same day, same temperature): high 11s

I like Sticky's suggestion for a real match, two AT, prepped track and good drivers (like you, obviously)
    Well, we won't agree on that one so its a waste of time, but the conditions of the track (VHT) and the 6MT vs 6AT launch capabilities differences alone makes this apples to oranges in my opinion, but how cares really...

you can stay in theoretical land as long as you want, but here are the facts, updated today by the shiv himself with an amazing 11.3@128

Click here to enlarge

so what were you saying about VHT prepped tracks and such..?

youv already stated you know NOTHING about 1/4 mile racing, so what makes sense? because you dont grasp it, it doesnt apply? your mixing your own thoughts up to validate your crush..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

@Sticky or anyone who knows..
    The footage of shiv's single was shot at Fontana Ca?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast