Close

Thread: Project rehab:recovering from meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Project rehab:recovering from meth.

Hey guys. I'm currently rebuilding bits my 335i after a little fire, and came up with an idea. I ordered a bunch of parts and of course, Terry's order came in first. So, installed my spark plugs, and new washer bottle cap. This is my idea. Terry talked about a hole in the cap to help the meth bottle breath and I thought about a dirt bike setup. This will allow the meth to vent, and if it were to squirt out, it would go down to the fender well, where there isn't any white hot turbos! Check it out people, also this is the BEAST that I bought until the parts come in.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

good idea, and good pick-up. nothing beats having a daily beater that doesnt require that TLC the fun car gets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

It's sooo nice to have a daily driver, my poor ford fusion takes a beating.

Your thread confirms for me why I'm going to stay away from meth, since I've never driven a car with it, I don't miss it, not worth the hassle for me.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Good stuff Ryan...may have to do something like that as well on my tank...

my new daily driver is a train...love it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Good idea cant believe i didnt think of this. I spent my whole life racing dirt bikes and this never crossed my mind. Great idea. Think ill do mine now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Another option is just to drill a 2 mm hole in the cap, then nothing will ever squirt out as long as the cap is on.

How do you plan to lock the cap?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I've thinking of some kind of band or strap to hold the cap down for extra insurance, but the new cap snaps on pretty tight. I'll update this once my creative juices start flowing again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm sure you will find a good solution.

Here are some pics how I try to prevent fire accidents and a few things to use IF it sh*t happens.

The filler neck is covered with a heat resistant insulation mat, which terminates well inside the stock heat shield. It is fastened to the neck with SS-straps. The cap is a screw cap with a drilled hole. It comes from a fuel jug and is crimped to the filler neck.

There are two fire extinguisher, both filled with H***n gas. The gas is by far more effective to kill fuel fires than anything else, but is abandoned except for aircraft and a few other applications.

Last but not least, a 5L water container in case organic material begins to burn. Filling of meth when the engine is hot is done by a funnel with a long neck to keep distance from hot parts.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Great stuff @R1000K3!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks dzenno. It may look like overkill to some, but I can't see how an initiated fire can be controlled with nothing but the bare hands, and the insurance company will not cover a car that is lost in a meth fire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

That is a lot of added insurance having a fire extinguisher. If I wasn't at the drag strip and on the side of the road, things might have been a lot worse. I'm going to throw a small extinguisher in my trunk, just in case from now on, but no dry chemical! That stuff makes a huge mess.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks dzenno. It may look like overkill to some, but I can't see how an initiated fire can be controlled with nothing but the bare hands, and the insurance company will not cover a car that is lost in a meth fire.
    That is my big concern. That insurance might be an issue in any fire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys. I'm currently rebuilding bits my 335i after a little fire, and came up with an idea. I ordered a bunch of parts and of course, Terry's order came in first. So, installed my spark plugs, and new washer bottle cap. This is my idea. Terry talked about a hole in the cap to help the meth bottle breath and I thought about a dirt bike setup. This will allow the meth to vent, and if it were to squirt out, it would go down to the fender well, where there isn't any white hot turbos! Check it out people, also this is the BEAST that I bought until the parts come in.
    I like the meth cap idea (and @R1000K3 the fire extinguishers) with drain away from the engine bay.

My cap is checked almost daily now that my ww meth kit is on for a little over a week now (paranoid Click here to enlarge). So far the lid is pretty tight and I never fill it so the meth level in the filler tube is higher than the heat shield.

I'm probably going to just order another ww tank since they're only $51 from tischer for the bare tank. Then I can start investigating where it'll fit and solve the problem by just putting it on the cold side where it's considerbly safer esp if I shoot for > 50% meth mix someday.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

...There are two fire extinguisher, both filled with H***n gas. The gas is by far more effective to kill fuel fires than anything else, but is abandoned except for aircraft and a few other applications...
    These types of extinguishers are great for fuel fires, I have actually used one to put out small engine/aircraft fire when I was in the military. Unfortunately, they can be dangerous and bad for the environment, so I'm not sure how easy they are to get. The chemical removes all the oxygen in the area and also depletes the ozone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Instead of calling 911 im gonna call you Click here to enlarge, in all seriousness you have just made me realize that i need to buy an extinguisher for my car, dont have one at the moment, never crossed my mind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I mounted one in my trunk, nice and clean. Though if I ever have a fire, I have to run to my trunk first lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't methanol lighter than water? This means that when you park your car and it sits stationary overnight, the methanol will collect at the top of the reservoir and begin evaporating. With a hole in the cap, wouldn't that lower your methanol percentage over time?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't methanol lighter than water? This means that when you park your car and it sits stationary overnight, the methanol will collect at the top of the reservoir and begin evaporating. With a hole in the cap, wouldn't that lower your methanol percentage over time?
    Methanol and water blends well and doesn't separate a lot as long as the mixture doesn't boil. The hole should not be large so the effect of vaporization is negligible even for a month. My car has been garaged for almost 5 months and in case some fluid was lost during this time, it wasn't much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Ok, cool. Thanks for the clarification!
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Any side effects to running just 100% distilled water simply for cooling effects or will it not be effective at all? The goal is to be 100% safe and lower IAT, no octane gains required.
    Click here to enlarge
    Engine: MOTIV 750 / MOTIV Port Injection / Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP / Helix FMIC / ER CP + TiaL BOV
    Tuning: JB4 MAC_11 / MHD BMS Backend / Split Second AIC1-V6H
    Suspension: Bilstein PSS9 / Full M3 Suspension / Quaife LSD / Defiv Lockdown / Megan Toe Arms
    Wheels/Tires: Forgestar F14 19x8.5F +34 / 19x10R +38 / Michelin PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    Any side effects to running just 100% distilled water simply for cooling effects or will it not be effective at all? The goal is to be 100% safe and lower IAT, no octane gains required.
    It has been used, by e.g. Saab in early turbo cars. Water will reduces IAT and detonation.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=water+injection

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

It has been used, by e.g. Saab in early turbo cars. Water will reduces IAT and detonation.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=water+injection
    Did not know Saab did that, cool.
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately