Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Sweating the small stuff

Click here to enlarge

The phrase ďGod is in the detailĒ has grown in relevance in my own life since the day we began developing IND many years ago. Iíve realized that when modifying a car, you are not merely adding parts, you are developing the details.

The owner of this E70 X5 35d is someone who understands that any car starts as a blank canvas and is not truly complete without these details. Although this X5 is not intended to compete with itís M brothers our client added some key touches to make the truck truly his own.

IND braved some new ground to perfect this X5. As this is a performance diesel engine we knew a gauge package would be an important tool. Because there is no off the shelf gauge solution for the X5, every step of the process involved custom work. A gauge pod was fabricated from sheet metal to fit perfectly in place of the ash tray, and finished in a high gloss black to integrate seamlessly into the interior. On the engine side a custom fitting was fabricated to interface with the Exhaust Gas Temperature probe, a barbed fitting was integrated into the carís piping for a boost pressure reading, and an oil temperature sending unit was installed in the carís oil system.

The complete interior trim was removed and refinished in Ferrariís Grigio Silverstone color, accented by a stripe of the carís original silver trim to integrate the new color scheme into the existing door pulls and shifter surround of the car. The 35dís green nature was something we felt we had to acknowledge, and we did so by adding our IND logo in a bright green color.
    The exterior of the car was kept simple by again only changing details where it was critical. The wheels are finished in the beautiful Grigio Silverstone color, while black and green logos were added in place of the original chrome badges. Even the X5 logo on the trunk was changed from the original large badge to a smaller more elegantly sized X5 badge from the X5M. X5 V8 exhaust tips were retrofitted and powdercoated black to give the rear of the car a more sporting appearance.

Our finished product is something all of us at IND and the owner of this car can be proud of. This X5 is one that may pass for a factory original car to the untrained observer, but to the initiated it is a car that represents a tasteful sense of restraint and an appreciation that nothing is complete without itís details.
    Enjoy the photos!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

NICEEEE... Great work on the Interior, love the Ex. Tips and those rims, would love to have those on my X5... Great job, thanks for showing us.
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Classy and not overdone, as it should be.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the positive feedback, as I'm sure does iND : )

iND are truly one of a kind. Can't wait for the next project with them...

Up next for this beast is some custom coding by me, hardwire V1, and some tuning...hence the reason for the gauges. It runs about 2bar of boost stock : O Have to get off my ass and do a bunch of logging before we start to tinker though ; )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the positive feedback, as I'm sure does iND : )

iND are truly one of a kind. Can't wait for the next project with them...

Up next for this beast is some custom coding by me, hardwire V1, and some tuning...hence the reason for the gauges. It runs about 2bar of boost stock : O Have to get off my ass and do a bunch of logging before we start to tinker though ; )
    Did not realize that was yours!

Yes, IND is absolutely top notch. They just are on their own level when it comes to this type of work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

beautiful
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    beautiful
    Thanks man. Now working on finding someone to make it quicker/faster ; )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Thanks man. Now working on finding someone to make it quicker/faster ; )
    You know we can help with that...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    LoL, so this is the famous off-roader. (singletrack got a little upset when someone called the X5 a pretend off-roader, not of true off-roader. Then everyone in the thread got called ignorant). No hard feelings...all fun.

Looks good. Like the green accents.

My brother-in-law had the same suv, very similar mods. He color-matched the rear reflectors alpine white. Might look good on yours.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    LoL, so this is the famous off-roader.
    I lol'd when i saw this too. Great X5, looks great but as i said in that thread(and my post got deleted) it's not a true off-roader. I have had X6 and Cayenne before and even though Cayenne has great off-roading abilities, they are not true off-roaders.

I don't want to ruin the thread though. Great Looking car, love it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    I lol'd when i saw this too. Great X5, looks great but as i said in that thread(and my post got deleted) it's not a true off-roader. I have had X6 and Cayenne before and even though Cayenne has great off-roading abilities, they are not true off-roaders.

I do not see why the Cayenne is not a true off-roader.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I believe the original Cayenne had an optional rear diff lock with the off-road package, that is better than most.

With the new generation Cayenne, I believe they dumbed it down quite a bit. The term that is being thrown around for most suv's these days is "soft-roader".

If you want to do any sort of advanced off-roading, a diff lock front and rear is preferred. Along with a suspension that has some good articulation and a truck/suv with good ground clearance. The list of suvs/trucks from factory that meet these requirements is getting shorter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I believe the original Cayenne had an optional rear diff lock with the off-road package, that is better than most.
    Yep, I have locking diffs...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

First you should change the wheels/tires on Cayenne, with the sporty setup you would stuck in the first hill. Then it's the lack of solidness feel and high cost to repair that doesn't give you the courage you want. Look at the suspension links, in my Landcruiser they were beefy , but in Cayenne they more like meh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

LoL, so this is the famous off-roader. (singletrack got a little upset when someone called the X5 a pretend off-roader, not of true off-roader. Then everyone in the thread got called ignorant). No hard feelings...all fun.

Looks good. Like the green accents.

My brother-in-law had the same suv, very similar mods. He color-matched the rear reflectors alpine white. Might look good on yours.
    You have poor reading comprehension and I don't get upset over what strangers on the internet write. What I objected to is calling it "useless" off-road; which it is not. I never claimed it was an off-road monster; nor has BMW.

Thanks for the compliment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

You know we can help with that...
    Yah, appreciate that! Having problems getting the level of detail I want out of the two ECU tuners I'm aware of to be honest - Evolve and Rennspec. I emailed a "friend" who works for a BMW company to see if he has any recommendations on diesel tuners.

Considering just logging the hell out of it, then going with something like the 3 channel DTUK and just "tuning" it myself - we'll see. This transports my family long distance, so reliability is key.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You have poor reading comprehension and I don't get upset over what strangers on the internet write. What I objected to is calling it "useless" off-road; which it is not. I never claimed it was an off-road monster; nor has BMW.

Thanks for the compliment.
    Lets just say you got a little defensive.

Your definition of off-road seems to be different than others.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Yah, appreciate that! Having problems getting the level of detail I want out of the two ECU tuners I'm aware of to be honest - Evolve and Rennspec. I emailed a "friend" who works for a BMW company to see if he has any recommendations on diesel tuners.

Considering just logging the hell out of it, then going with something like the 3 channel DTUK and just "tuning" it myself - we'll see. This transports my family long distance, so reliability is key.
    What level of detail do you want from @evolve?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Lets just say you got a little defensive.

Your definition of off-road seems to be different than others.
    You read into things too much. I don't need to justify anything I have to anyone. I do see people do that all day on the internet though, so I can see how that might be your first impression of someone.

The truth is that I have driven much more "off-road capable" vehicles than the X5. But I was extremely impressed at what it did on the off-road course at the performance center given the technology it has in it and the obstacles and exercises provided. I just think "useless" sells a great vehicle short; and you should be challenged on the statement. Has nothing to do with me owning the SAV. I simply have first hand experience and past experience on the topic. Of course it falls short to the big dogs off-road...

FYI - Did you notice that Paul Jr has a G wagon? Noticed on American Chopper...I bet he does stupid $#@! in it ; )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

What level of detail do you want from @evolve ?
    Will post a brief summary of data provided and remaining questions when I haven't had scotch. ; )

Evolve (via VS) and Rennspec both got back to me, but I have more questions...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Will post a brief summary of data provided and remaining questions when I haven't had scotch. ; )

Evolve (via VS) and Rennspec both got back to me, but I have more questions...
    Haven't dealt with Rennspec and haven't really see results with their tuning.

@evolve is on the board though and a reputable vendor with good results.

Posting when drunk is a lot of fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Haven't dealt with Rennspec and haven't really see results with their tuning.

@evolve is on the board though and a reputable vendor with good results.

Posting when drunk is a lot of fun.
    Haha...whoops - Renntech...not Rennspec - duh ; )

I have dealt with Evolve on my M3 and really appreciate Sal, Imran, and Paul's involvement with BMW tuning : )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Haha...whoops - Renntech...not Rennspec - duh ; )

I have dealt with Evolve on my M3 and really appreciate Sal, Imran, and Paul's involvement with BMW tuning : )
    Ok, good, Renntech and Evolve should be on your list definitely.

The JBD from BMS is another choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Ok, good, Renntech and Evolve should be on your list definitely.

The JBD from BMS is another choice.
    Yah, I like the simplicity of the JBD and the ease of use, it is definitely a nice option.

Basically this is where my head is right now at a high level:

Renntech - I know they are well-known w/ Merc, but I have zero experience with them.
    Evolve - trust these guys; appreciate their involvement in BMW; appreciate their transparency. Only issue is that I have to go to VS for tuning on the dyno since they have never done an X5d; only 335d's in the US. Much better pricing than Renntech.
    JBD - nice simple solution. My understanding is that all it does it add fuel. This increased power also creates extra exhaust, raising boost slightly. In general though, I'm not a big fan of dial it up until the ECU throws an error as a form of tuning. But if it is safe, then kudos to them for a simple hack to a complex problem. Great price; although not a key factor for me.
    DTUK - Not a sponsor here which sucks. Will probably email them, but have not yet. They appear to have a 3 channel unit, so you could adjust boost, fuel, based on rpm. Comes with predefined programs and sub-adjustments. Log before, makes some tweaks, see how it goes. Could be a fun project.

Data...

Evolve:

Paul at evolve sent me to Matt @ VS for my tune inquiry. I would have to bench flash the car. So either drive to Chicago, which isn't bad, but just got back, or ship them the ECU and have downtime. The evolve 335d tune put down 329whp and 489ft-lbs (they have dyno charts available which they sent to me; also available on the site everyone here seems to hate ; )). 60whp and 90 wtq delta (gain) I believe. They have tuned 4 335d's so far in the US. No ETA on cracking the ECU for OBDII flashing; so no "remote" tuning. They have not flashed a USDM X5 35d yet. Data from EU spec X5 diesels would not be accurate due to differences, so data would have to be gathered on the dyno. Essentially, from my perspective, the only proper way to do this is to dyno the car at VS, which probably would be at least a 3 day affair. I'm game, but I also have a family to take care of so not sure on ETA.

Renntech:

Bench flash. They modify injection timing duration and boost. Turbo compressor efficiencies are kept between 60-70%. EGT maintained within "BMW specified protected range". Speed limiter can be removed (I'm sure Evolve can as well). They modify the cooling fan function. They also mentioned keeping "motor torque limits within BMW specs".

Dyno results:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-K...Y/s800/bmw.jpg

61whp and 80wtq delta (gain)

...really not sure what I'm going to do at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast