Close

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I was on DRs Click here to enlarge no issues
    What DRs are you running? I need new ones ;P
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    I think I need to get back into the game Click here to enlarge this is just insanity.

And its only the beginning!
    YES YES YES!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    What DRs are you running? I need new ones ;P
    Nitto NT555R
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey dzenno, i've got some questions related to this

Since i've got my engine on the floor, never a better time to get it built right?

on the topic of the valves you got made, were they entirely custom, any chance of getting another set made (as it'd probably in theory be cheaper than me getting a fresh set myself?), or even made slightly differently.. Though it may be easier to get it made over here.., there's plenty of quality valve producers here..

any other important info or other parts i'd need to get made up?.. Or that would be handy for the shop to know?.. Things that caused you major headaches/delays sorta thing lol

thanks
    Last edited by Flinchy; 11-25-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Hey dzenno, i've got some questions related to this

Since i've got my engine on the floor, never a better time to get it built right?

on the topic of the valves you got made, were they entirely custom, any chance of getting another set made (as it'd probably in theory be cheaper than me getting a fresh set myself?), or even made slightly differently.. Though it may be easier to get it made over here.., there's plenty of quality valve producers here..

any other important info or other parts i'd need to get made up?.. Or that would be handy for the shop to know?.. Things that caused you major headaches/delays sorta thing lol

thanks
    noone makes one-off valves, so if its a reputable place, they now have the info to mass produce

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    noone makes one-off valves, so if its a reputable place, they now have the info to mass produce
    True true.. I wonder about the intake valve though?

I'll send them an email either way Click here to enlarge

I'm going through from pg1 reading this thread over again, and reading the ptf blog updates on it even lol

For me this is a definite 'do it once, do it right' thing, i don't plan on having this engine out of action for long at all once it goes in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True true.. I wonder about the intake valve though?

I'll send them an email either way Click here to enlarge

I'm going through from pg1 reading this thread over again, and reading the ptf blog updates on it even lol

For me this is a definite 'do it once, do it right' thing, i don't plan on having this engine out of action for long at all once it goes in.
    it only takes like a week for a good valve shop to make them. at least that's about how long it took my somewhat local shop to make me a set for my car after i sent them a pair of valves for them to analyze
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    it only takes like a week for a good valve shop to make them. at least that's about how long it took my somewhat local shop to make me a set for my car after i sent them a pair of valves for them to analyze
    hm that's not too bad - i'll price them up locally then, as well as from ferea.. we have good shops

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    Local shops usually aren't as busy making custom valves like large valve manufacturers such as Ferrea. What type of material did they use? Did you weigh them to ensure they're not much heavier?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well...I'm impressed. LOL Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Local shops usually aren't as busy making custom valves like large valve manufacturers such as Ferrea. What type of material did they use? Did you weigh them to ensure they're not much heavier?
    Over here, if you search for the right companies, you can find ones that make stuff for racing teams pretty easily, even if they are small

ferea are pretty much class leading though correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ferrea are up there indeed...AMS also uses them in their GT-Rs, same material it looks like
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rev is the company I used and Inconel is the material. Weight is a bit lighter when I held them vs stock but I haven't put them on a scale yet.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Inconel should be quite a bit lighter. Great material that is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Inconel should be quite a bit lighter. Great material that is.
    The ones I've got are called Super Alloy. They have a higher heat range/tolerance than Inconel as well. The OEM "exhaust" valves are hard to beat in terms of weight as they have hollow stems filled with sodium making them fairly light, they're 2-piece. My shop stated that going with non-hollow non-sodium filled single piece valves is better for high boost and possibly higher RPM when/if I decide to turn it up eventually but then I "may" also need to change the OEM springs as well as rods out for something more high RPM (8k+ rpm) friendly.

Here's a link to AMS performance and their R35 GT-R exhaust valves:

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/f...st-valves.html

These are the same material and built by Ferrea like the ones currently in our PTF cylinder head. You can see how much cheaper they can get ($35/valve for the AMS GT-R ones) when mass produced and there's a larger market. We'll only do that once a large turbo (turbos) are on this car that can take full advantage of the exhaust side cylinder head work and we can show results directly back to back against a stock/OEM head with the same setup.

These custom valves built for PTF are our IP and anyone else getting them surely can but you'll have to go through the same R&D and pay full pop like I have ($125 per single custom Super Alloy valve, $1500 for all 12 on the exhaust side).

At the moment I'm not comfortable putting something up for sale when back to back results against the stock head with the same compression as stock aren't there. Cams may also be done eventually depending on these bigger turbo(s) results on our car(s). But all that will come with time...
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 11-28-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The ones I've got are called Super Alloy. They have a higher heat range/tolerance than Inconel as well. The OEM "exhaust" valves are hard to beat in terms of weight as they have hollow stems filled with sodium making them fairly light, they're 2-piece. My shop stated that going with non-hollow non-sodium filled single piece valves is better for high boost and possibly higher RPM when/if I decide to turn it up eventually but then I "may" also need to change the OEM springs as well as rods out for something more high RPM (8k+ rpm) friendly.

These are the same material and built by Ferrea like the ones currently in our PTF cylinder head. You can see how much cheaper they can get ($35/valve for the AMS GT-R ones) when mass produced and there's a larger market. We'll only do that once a large turbo (turbos) are on this car that can take full advantage of the exhaust side cylinder head work and we can show results directly back to back against a stock/OEM head with the same setup.

These custom valves built for PTF are our IP and anyone else getting them surely can but you'll have to go through the same R&D and pay full pop like I have ($125 per single custom Super Alloy valve, $1500 for all 12 on the exhaust side).

At the moment I'm not comfortable putting something up for sale when back to back results against the stock head with the same compression as stock aren't there. Cams may also be done eventually depending on these bigger turbo(s) results on our car(s). But all that will come with time...
    Ffff
    fffffffff $125 EACH?! .. So you coupdn't get a set easily made up, with the data already gathered etc.?

i'd 100% buy a set for my head build, but at $125 each i think i'll *try* local first.. OUCH... I was keen when i expected ~$70-$80 a piece per valve.. It's not like AMS is 'mass produced' stuff either for the GT-R is it?

i'm all for a 'spare no expense' build, but i have so many expenses.. Lol

it's not even feasible to do a back to back performance comparison of JUST the exhaust valves vs stock head.. Who would ever ever just swap out vales, not do a proper port job etc.

heck, i doubt it's been done for any platform realistically, evos/wrx's just.. Do it, and expect results lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ffff
    fffffffff $125 EACH?! .. So you coupdn't get a set easily made up, with the data already gathered etc.?

i'd 100% buy a set for my head build, but at $125 each i think i'll *try* local first.. OUCH... I was keen when i expected ~$70-$80 a piece per valve..

Well, we have the sales tax of 13% here so take 13% off from that price, so about $110/valve when doing it full custom from them..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ffff

i'd 100% buy a set for my head build, but at $125 each i think i'll *try* local first.. OUCH... I was keen when i expected ~$70-$80 a piece per valve..

it's not even feasible to do a back to back performance comparison of JUST the exhaust valves vs stock head.. Who would ever ever just swap out vales, not do a proper port job etc.

heck, i doubt it's been done for any platform realistically, evos/wrx's just.. Do it, and expect results lol
    Click here to enlarge the results comparison I was speaking of is not just valves on their own, that'd be pretty wild of a comparison and very expensive to do. Its more along the lines of take set #1 with stock bottom end/stockhead and large turbo(s) tune it for a given octane to its fullest and then take set #2 with stock bottom end/ported+valved head and use the same large turbo(s) tune it for the same octane and see the results Click here to enlarge should be pretty obvious
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So when will the car be running again? I'm too lazy to go try to best my 60-130 until you take back the record. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Given the power band i doubt there would be much of a change in the 60-130 but i dont know for sure...2.56 is also not the best idea for a 60-130 record, more of a 1/4 mile final drive even though i'd probably go with a 2.8 as the best..car is down for a bit until another LSD is sorted and I'm anticipating something bigger on the car in the next month or two so i can take that record properly away from both of you guys Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Given the power band i doubt there would be much of a change in the 60-130 but i dont know for sure...2.56 is also not the best idea for a 60-130 record, more of a 1/4 mile final drive even though i'd probably go with a 2.8 as the best..car is down for a bit until another LSD is sorted and I'm anticipating something bigger on the car in the next month or two so i can take that record properly away from both of you guys Click here to enlarge
    One something or two somethings?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, we have the sales tax of 13% here so take 13% off from that price, so about $110/valve when doing it full custom from them..
    Over $1000 gets import duties and (10%) GST here, at $110 each it would be $1650-$1700 landed.. Definitely not a good flavour there lol

Import duty and tax total is about 21%.. I always forget to add that in, so, yeah, if it was still the full $125 each, it would be more like $1900 landed..

$999 would be fine, but $1000 bumps to $1200~, so definitely a 'check locally first' thing for me lol

Ed: hm, may be exempt as it's wholly a product of USA, :unsure: - still too risky without knowing.

Click here to enlarge the results comparison I was speaking of is not just valves on their own, that'd be pretty wild of a comparison and very expensive to do. Its more along the lines of take set #1 with stock bottom end/stockhead and large turbo(s) tune it for a given octane to its fullest and then take set #2 with stock bottom end/ported+valved head and use the same large turbo(s) tune it for the same octane and see the results Click here to enlarge should be pretty obvious
    Ahh yeah fair enough, definitely a good idea, pity (for comparisons sake) you have the thicker gasket lol
    Last edited by Flinchy; 11-28-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    One something or two somethings?
    That would give it away wouldn't it? Click here to enlarge wish i could say more
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That would give it away wouldn't it? Click here to enlarge wish i could say more
    Haha, that's why I asked.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

repped for info. The valves for my ancient M30 are $25 a pop..and they are nothing special.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast