Close

Thread: SSK options

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

SSK options

Hi guys,

I currently have a B&M ssk lever fitted on my car and whilst I love the short shift, I can't get on with the amount of effort required to slot it into gear.

I know a few people have experience of different SSKs so was would like to know which were their favourites were. I'm open to all suggestions, UUC, RE, AA or even the BMW performance SSK. My preference is the least amount of 'notchiness' possible, I'm not too fussed about the length of the shift as long as it is less than stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the UUC with the DSSR rod, don't love it don't hate it...it does the job of making shifts shorter and eliminates sloppiness which was my main reason for getting it..shifter now is tight
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have been debating the RE one but they dont make the WSR for the 335. Not sure what affect, if any, not having the WSR will have but I think its still the one I am leaning towards.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also changed out my Transmission Mounts/bushings to the UUC black rubber ones...eliminates some of the tranny shift under load as well which I like...they're not hard poly mounts that vibrate the heck out of you and the car, just harder rubber than stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Dzenno, I'm leaning towards the RE and the UUC w/DSSR and UUC have a 13% sale today so I probably will place an order. And the tranny mounts are a bargain, I'm guessing they are the same as the e46 ones?

What is the shift resistance like with the UUC?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Dzenno, I'm leaning towards the RE and the UUC w/DSSR and UUC have a 13% sale today so I probably will place an order. And the tranny mounts are a bargain, I'm guessing they are the same as the e46 ones?

What is the shift resistance like with the UUC?
    Yes, those mounts are pretty universal. Only resistance I get is shifting into 1st "sometimes" but I'm not sure if I can say that its SSK related. I'll be changing out my tranny fluid soon, back to OEM fluid I think.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Yes, those mounts are pretty universal. Only resistance I get is shifting into 1st "sometimes" but I'm not sure if I can say that its SSK related. I'll be changing out my tranny fluid soon, back to OEM fluid I think.
    Once again thanks. I could live with resistance shifting into first, I'm more worried about 1-2 and 2-3 so I hope the tranny mounts and Evo3 with DSSR will sort that. The B&M requires a lot of force which is ok when pushing on but tiresome when on normal journeys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Hey Dzenno, I'm not sure what tranny fluid you're using but I've recently switched to Royal purple max which was much better then OEM fluid (@60k). I felt like trying Redline D4 ATF, and it was much much better than Royal purple max and OEM. Resistance is gone for all gears completely. I still get resistance in some situation when into into 1st but it is much better than Royal purple max (which I ran for 10k)
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Hey Dzenno, I'm not sure what tranny fluid you're using but I've recently switched to Royal purple max which was much better then OEM fluid (@60k). I felt like trying Redline D4 ATF, and it was much much better than Royal purple max and OEM. Resistance is gone for all gears completely. I still get resistance in some situation when into into 1st but it is much better than Royal purple max (which I ran for 10k)
    I've heard bad stuff on RP with this tranny and that's why I never tried it...I have D4ATF in the car now but I think my old "UUC cocktail" worked much better than this, especially talking about no lift shifts that I do sometimes...search up UUC cocktail...i think i'll give OEM a shot again just to see...might also have been weather related and things may improve now that its warming up again
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I changed my fluid and lever performance is much lighter than before

I recommend it is much shorter and more direct when the gears fit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I used the UUC on my 08 335XI. Worked very well as it reduced shifter travel and kept effort about what stock was = win. I never bought the UUC DSSR selector rod as when I looked at the engineering, it just didn't make sense to me how it was going to improve anything vs stock (ie the problem wasn't the external selector rod but something on the back of the trans IMO).

I did a DIY on the other site which shows how you can notch the bottom of the UUC shifter's pivot cup to install it entirely from the interior of the car in about an hour vs having to dive under the car and drop the exhaust and trans to get it in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    I did a DIY on the other site which shows how you can notch the bottom of the UUC shifter's pivot cup to install it entirely from the interior of the car in about an hour vs having to dive under the car and drop the exhaust and trans to get it in.
    Repost it...
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Repost it...
    You don't have a DIY section....where do you want it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    You don't have a DIY section....where do you want it?
    In whatever forum section you feel fits it most.

Guess I better get a DIY section up soon eh?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup, I'd rather use this one than E90.