Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure then. For me it turned out to be a foolish driver error. Check, clean and lubricate your diverter valves. Perhaps they are not releasing the pressure quickly enough.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm... diverter valves are brand spanking new - not even 3 months new!

You mentioned driver error earlier on in this thread - possibly about leaving the accelerator on a bit longer during shifting causing boost to skyrocket and throw FE30. Is this what you mean by driver error? I don't see how this can happen, or should happen.

I'm thinking defective solenoids, or even vacuum lines... So difficult to diagnose!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sharkatron Click here to enlarge
    Hmm... diverter valves are brand spanking new - not even 3 months new!

You mentioned driver error earlier on in this thread - possibly about leaving the accelerator on a bit longer during shifting causing boost to skyrocket and throw FE30. Is this what you mean by driver error? I don't see how this can happen, or should happen.

I'm thinking defective solenoids, or even vacuum lines... So difficult to diagnose!
    I vote for sticking wastegate. I don't see how the solenoid can cause overboost, unless it is failing in a way that is applying more vacuum than requested, which by design shouldn't be possible. Typical signs of failing WG solenoids is underboost, same with vacuum line leaks.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I vote for sticking wastegate. I don't see how the solenoid can cause overboost, unless it is failing in a way that is applying more vacuum than requested, which by design shouldn't be possible. Typical signs of failing WG solenoids is underboost, same with vacuum line leaks.
    Gotcha. So how to fix something like this? Grease them up and hope it works? Can overboost kill yout turbos? I'm starting to hear the "siren" on cold startup. Once warm, it goes away.

Just wondering too if the v clamps for DP installation can cause the wastegates to overboost? But it doesn't make sense that I can get a hot lap in, only to have it overboost at the start of the second lap and go into limp mode.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sharkatron Click here to enlarge
    Gotcha. So how to fix something like this? Grease them up and hope it works? Can overboost kill yout turbos? I'm starting to hear the "siren" on cold startup. Once warm, it goes away.

Just wondering too if the v clamps for DP installation can cause the wastegates to overboost? But it doesn't make sense that I can get a hot lap in, only to have it overboost at the start of the second lap and go into limp mode.
    I don't have any direct experience with it, but i have read threads where track guys had issues with sticking wastegates after a few laps. Once the turbos heat up it starts causing the wastegate to bind/seize. Only fix for this is replacement turbos.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sorry for the ancient bump, but I have the same issues. 30FE overboost codes running a Cobb almost every time I run a track session. I had a feeling it may be a sticking wastegate. I'm going to try to clean the bushing the wastegate moves in and lube with some high temp lube. At least as a temporary fix prior to new turbos.

Any other updates on this issue?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234