Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Skyhart, what diverter valves do you have? I am running Forge DVs and I am beginning to think they may need cleaning and lubrication.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ vasillalov:

I'm running the stock DV's for now. I'm looking running the Forge DV's for the next event. I'm with you, limping at the track with my internal temps well within spec is really a pain. Before the car limps, it pulls like a beast and with the suspension upgrades I was having a blast.

Did you try lubricating the wastegate actuator arm? I may try that as a preventive measure as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Skyhart Click here to enlarge
    Did you try lubricating the wastegate actuator arm? I may try that as a preventive measure as well.
    I have not had the chance to do this just yet. I've been swamped with projects at work. Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Most surprising development everyone! Click here to enlarge

So, today I had the opportunity to go back to the exact same track and test the overboosting situation again. This time I was fully prepared to log the living hell out of it and then send the logs to Cobb. Surprisingly enough, the weather conditions were almost identical to the last time I went: rain in the morning, cool lunch and hot in the afternoon.

The car was fine in the earlier sessions during the rain and during lunch. Once the track dried and the pavement heated up a bit, traction improved and then things got interesting.

As it turns out, the whole time the reason why my car was overboosting was ... ready for it... ME, the driver! I figured out that the overboost condition would occur on one specific spot of the track: a sweeping right hand turn followed by the longest straight section on the track.

So, I started thinking about it and then I caught myself doing something very very stupid: I would take the corner in 3rd gear, and then immediately after the apex, I would gun it knowing that I have a long straight ahead of me. Halfway through the straight, I would run out of rpms and I will shift into 4th gear and then punch it again all the way till 120 mph.

Well... to my dismay, I found out that (sometimes) I was not lifting my right foot completely off the gas pedal. Instead I would go for a super quick stab of the clutch combined with a gear change and somewhere in that process, I'll forget to lift my right foot off the gas. So, it creates a situation where engine is at 18.5 psi, 6500 rpms and I'd stab the clutch with gas pedal still *slightly* pressed in. This would create the overboost condition of 22psi and the ECU would simply go into limp mode.

Once I realized this error, I slowed down my shift from 3rd to 4rth on that straight and I had to force myself to make sure I lift my right foot off the gas. Result: no more overboost conditions! Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you should get NLS, no right foot lift needed Click here to enlarge an external WOTBox in your case.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Vasil, ready for my interesting development?............Catless downpipes, and FMIC, coming in a few days! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey I can post again, so I have learned being helpful gives me enough reps to weather the neg storms. Vas, you shouldn't get overboost with an improper shift. Likely this is the cause of DV springs being too stiff. DVs should bleed boost at a differential between pre/post throttle... maybe 3 to 6psi. You have this logged, would like to see it? Are the springs psi rated? You can test them with an air compressor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Josh,

I tried logging but the AP ran out of memory 2 laps before it happened, so there is nothing to log. I run the Forge DVs with yellow springs. I've not tested them with an air compressor.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Vasil, ready for my interesting development?............Catless downpipes, and FMIC, coming in a few days! Click here to enlarge

Good good. Make sure you get proper downpipes. As for intercooler, you can save some cash by getting the CX Racing one, aka Big Tom intercooler. Also, don't forget the BMS DP fix. It is essential to have one for emissions testing.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting, it sounds like you and I shift very similarly, vasillalov. I notice that my boost spikes are almost always shift induced, but it is still unsettling to see boost up around 22psi when Cobb is supposed to cap it at 18psi. That leads me to believe there is still something else going on. If I do a nice, WOT pull from 3rd to 4th gear, all looks great. It's only when I'm in "real" world conditions and modulating the throttle under load that I see weird things happening with Cobb. It's now to the point that I'm looking really hard at other tunes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's only when I'm in "real" world conditions and modulating the throttle under load that I see weird things happening with Cobb. It's now to the point that I'm looking really hard at other tunes.
    To be honest, I am getting fed up with this as well. I'd go back to GIAC, but I want to see what ATR will bring to the table first.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    To be honest, I am getting fed up with this as well. I'd go back to GIAC, but I want to see what ATR will bring to the table first.
    I'm looking at GIAC as well, they're about an hour away from me. Have you looked into RennTech?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Good good. Make sure you get proper downpipes. As for intercooler, you can save some cash by getting the CX Racing one, aka Big Tom intercooler. Also, don't forget the BMS DP fix. It is essential to have one for emissions testing.
    Active autowerke 3" downpipe, ETS FMIC. Arriving Friday. Will install next week. I'm currently trying to get the BMS DP fix.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Active autowerke 3" downpipe, ETS FMIC. Arriving Friday. Will install next week. I'm currently trying to get the BMS DP fix.

Good man. Click here to enlarge Start with default setting for the BMS DP Fix. My car passed IL emissions last month with it.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I notice that my boost spikes are almost always shift induced, but it is still unsettling to see boost up around 22psi when Cobb is supposed to cap it at 18psi. That leads me to believe there is still something else going on. If I do a nice, WOT pull from 3rd to 4th gear, all looks great. It's only when I'm in "real" world conditions and modulating the throttle under load that I see weird things happening with Cobb. It's now to the point that I'm looking really hard at other tunes.
    Boost is measured before and after the throttle plate, but the AccessPORT displays the reading from before the throttle plate. This means when you shift, the throttle plate closes and the resulting instantaneous pressure build-up causes the "shift boost spike". But, this boost pressure never actually enters the cylinder. What kind of weird things do you see under low load or non-load conditions? Typically, those parts of the mapping are not altered from BMW's factory tuning.

Ian

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ian,

I have P3Cars boost gauge with a dedicated pressure sensor spliced at the connection for the DVs. I have seen sustained 21 psi during a really hot summer day on Stage 2+ FMIC maps. This is very very confusing because boost should have never went above 18.5 psi. Also, all of these issues have been observed on the beta maps and beta firmware. The 3.01 firmware and maps will not overboost (I need to do more extensive track testing) but they have horrible oscillations so the driveability is not that great at all.

So my current options are like this:

3.01 - No overboost but weird ass boost oscillations
    4.01 - Overboosting but less boost oscillations. The oscillations are still present in 4.01, they are just not nearly as harsh as 3.01 when they happen.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by COBB Tuning Click here to enlarge
    Boost is measured before and after the throttle plate, but the AccessPORT displays the reading from before the throttle plate. This means when you shift, the throttle plate closes and the resulting instantaneous pressure build-up causes the "shift boost spike". But, this boost pressure never actually enters the cylinder. What kind of weird things do you see under low load or non-load conditions? Typically, those parts of the mapping are not altered from BMW's factory tuning.

Ian
    Under load, boost starts ramping up and around 3500 rpms or so, WHAM!!! The boost goes between 12~16 or so to instant 18 or more and feels like it turns into a rocket. I have the exact same high boost issues that vasillalov is talking about, I regularly see over 21psi. In addition, if I'm at partial throttle and boost builds, when I let off the throttle the car keeps accelerating for a split second. I'm used to it, but I had a friend drive the car and he almost $#@! himself over it as he almost rear-ended a car in front of us.

Ian, I really appreciate the input but I have to admit, it has been frustrating. I used to get overboost conditions way back when on stage 1 v2.00 (well, I only actually got it once on that track). I never got it with v2.03, never tried 3.01 on the track, but I'm having issues with it on 4.02. It's to the point that I'm starting to look elsewhere as I tend to think my car just doesn't get along well with the Cobb AP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Skyhart,

1. What's your ECU ID?
    2. Have you had any other flash tunes installed prior to Cobb?

I have I8A0S ECU and it looks like a lot of people with overboosting and oscillations are also have the same ECU.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm on IJEOS. I bought the car used, so I don't know if there was any other tuning done to it. I doubt it, the nearest GIAC dealer is over an hour away and if it had a Dinan tune the dealership would've mentioned it as they do a lot of Dinan work. I looked in the ECU and if there was a JB or PROcede, it wasn't there anymore.

I've spoken with a few others that have I8AOS and you're right, they've had quite a few issues with the oscillation. I did have the torque converter code thrown on v4.00 which was supposed to be more of an I8AOS issue. Strange, my car is IJEOS but acts more like I8AOS.

Like you, I've seen some prolonged boost numbers that are far higher than the supposed max of 18psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    When you see the prolonged boost higher than 18.5 psi, is it under load at WOT or after letting off the throttle? The overrun condition is a common emissions feature on most modern cars used to burn excess fuel after letting off the throttle. My 2005 Subaru Legacy GT does it every now and then too in certain conditions and it's always a weird feeling.

The ECU has a built in limit of about 18.5 psi and will do everything it can to start cutting boost. The 2.5 bar sensor will only read boost up to about 20-21 psi, so sustained pressures at WOT above that would be something we haven't really seen before. We are currently doing testing and continued ECU tracing to eliminate the boost oscillations and to smooth out timing. I've also point this thread out to our calibrators so they can look into these kinds of issues while on the dyno. One of our shop cars is I8A0S.

Ian

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Under load, boost starts ramping up and around 3500 rpms or so, WHAM!!! The boost goes between 12~16 or so to instant 18 or more and feels like it turns into a rocket. I have the exact same high boost issues that vasillalov is talking about, I regularly see over 21psi. In addition, if I'm at partial throttle and boost builds, when I let off the throttle the car keeps accelerating for a split second. I'm used to it, but I had a friend drive the car and he almost $#@! himself over it as he almost rear-ended a car in front of us.Ian, I really appreciate the input but I have to admit, it has been frustrating. I used to get overboost conditions way back when on stage 1 v2.00 (well, I only actually got it once on that track). I never got it with v2.03, never tried 3.01 on the track, but I'm having issues with it on 4.02. It's to the point that I'm starting to look elsewhere as I tend to think my car just doesn't get along well with the Cobb AP.
    Can you post a log of this over boost in action?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Since Cobb is looking into this thread, I want to share some graphs that I've logged before:

Here is v3.01 Stage 2+FMIC Aggressive:

Click here to enlarge

Here is v4.01 Stage 2+FMIC Aggressive:

Click here to enlarge

Those two were taken about 1 week apart. Same road, same weather conditions (cold), same fuel in tank, same mods.

Notice how much choppier are the boost and load lines on the first image compared to the second one. This can be felt on the butt dyno and heard in the exhaust note, both v3.01 and v4.01. With v 4.01 it is not as severe but it is still there.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I know this is digging up from the dead, but I am having the exact same issues with overboost and throwing 30FE codes at the track. I go wide open throttle and all of a sudden, check engine light comes on with reduction in power. I noticed boost was high as well (I also have P3vent gauge) - 19+ PSI at WOT. Definitely not spiking between gear changes.

And just like vasillalov I am using Cobb Stage 2+ tune, and also returned to stock, and it still happens. I also tend to feel it is something mechanical and nothing to do with the tune (happens on stock tune anyway). My mechanic checked the wastegate actuator for one of them and greased it up - you could hear him clanking it as he moved it back and forth, but wasn't able to reach the second. I'm not even sure if this "sticking" of the wastegates is the cause.

Any resolutions to all of this? Quite frustrating when you go home after 2 laps. I'm wondering if the solenoids are the cause...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Make sure your maps and firmware are updated to the latest. I have not seen overboost conditions like that for over a year now. No matter how hot it is outside and no matter how I shift, I've not seen boost more than 18.5 psi which is the cap limit for Stage 2+ Aggressive for a VERY long time.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The thing is, I'm being custom tuned by PTF. I just received the map about 5 days ago. I'm pretty certain it's up to date as can be. As you mentioned in your earlier posts, you didn't think it was tune related because when you reverted to stock, the 30FE code still came up. Exactly the same in my case. Did you do anything else? I'm thinking of changing the solenoids.
    Last edited by sharkatron; 08-20-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: 30FE not P30FE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast