Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Awesome to see that progress! I've been on the edge of my seat with this thread, glad to see that it may soon work Click here to enlarge
    . The only other times I've seen the Audi coils used (also by the swedes) was with a stand alone wired up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Hrrmii. There has been much talk about these. Which motor is that on ?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Hrrmii. There has been much talk about these. Which motor is that on ?
    It's a s52tub32 in a 1999 e46 of course.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hobbit382 Click here to enlarge
    It's a s52tub32 in a 1999 e46 of course.
    Correction: s52tub32a

First generation
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

sexy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

very interesting. Subscribed Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Correction: s52tub32a

First generation
    haha yes your right.

will report back once some more miles are on it, but 40 mile drive home and no issues yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

well its been a couple days now and a few hundred miles later with no issues at all. I'm going to wire in the rest of them today or tomorrow. im kinda surprised their is not more interest in this thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well its been a couple days now and a few hundred miles later with no issues at all. I'm going to wire in the rest of them today or tomorrow. im kinda surprised their is not more interest in this thread.
    I've been subscribed. A local guy has been telling me to do this for the past year but I haven't had a turbo car up and running to test it. Looking forward to your results when they are all wired up.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

There's interest...but I'd like to see an S54 making 800rwhp+ with these coils before I'm going to get hard. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

All I can say is wow. I honesty didn't expect much of a difference especially since it's still n/a. But wow! It free revs much faster much snappier. On accel it pulls much harder and feels like your driving on glass at 6k rpm. I'm still just shocked at the difference. Maybe my old coils were just really weak I dunno but I can't wipe the smile off my face right now.

Click here to enlarge

Factory harness with power wire rewired all the way back to dme and a new ground wire added for the coils. Im not gonna lie it was a $#@! to stuff it all in there, the new wire is so thick, I really don't think it needs to be that thick but I went off what the Audi rs4 uses.

Click here to enlarge

Here you can see the small wires are what use to drive the coil (now used as input) compared to the new power and ground wire for the coil. Huge huge difference. Factory was supposedly 1mm (18 g) but I think it might actually be .75 or even .5mm. And the new wire is 2.5mm (10g)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
    There's interest...but I'd like to see an S54 making 800rwhp+ with these coils before I'm going to get hard. Click here to enlarge
    I hear what your saying. I would take the setup down to proEFI but he has his own ignition setup so I don't think he'd be too interested in it. Chris from hpf doesnt ever answer any of my pm so I guess he isnt interested... I still need to get my turbo setup bolted on but I dont think I will be seeing 800whp with the s52. And still haven't assembled my s54 yet so that's a ways off also. So who here has a s54 that is willing to try this out? I only spent $118 total (got lucky to get 6 pigtails from the junkyard for $5.80 lol) however did spend a good amount of time with the harness

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

All I can say is wow. I honesty didn't expect much of a difference especially since it's still n/a. But wow! It free revs much faster much snappier. On accel it pulls much harder and feels like your driving on glass at 6k rpm. I'm still just shocked at the difference. Maybe my old coils were just really weak I dunno but I can't wipe the smile off my face right now.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...5dfe27c7-1.jpg

Factory harness with power wire rewired all the way back to dme and a new ground wire added for the coils. Im not gonna lie it was a $#@! to stuff it all in there, the new wire is so thick, I really don't think it needs to be that thick but I went off what the Audi rs4 uses.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...a6e694a3-1.jpg

Here you can see the small wires are what use to drive the coil (now used as input) compared to the new power and ground wire for the coil. Huge huge difference. Factory was supposedly 1mm (18 g) but I think it might actually be .75 or even .5mm. And the new wire is 2.5mm (10g)
    Double win!

Not only is it cheaper, it works better.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...5dfe27c7-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...a6e694a3-1.jpg

prolly old coils

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome!! Subscribed from day one and really glad to see this worked out. Can't wait to see the potential of these once you've added boost to the equation! There must be a reason that some (monster) builds I've seen from ppf are running these as well, however my Swedish is non-existant haha, so it will be nice to understand how/why with your build.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by autospeed Click here to enlarge
    Awesome!! Subscribed from day one and really glad to see this worked out. Can't wait to see the potential of these once you've added boost to the equation! There must be a reason that some (monster) builds I've seen from ppf are running these as well, however my Swedish is non-existant haha, so it will be nice to understand how/why with your build.
    Honestly I think the size of the wire shows a lot. It must use a lot more current if it needs a wire that size.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Not too many people are willing to do what you did or understand really.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Ok guys more updates.
    I measured the current draw of the vag coils
    Click here to enlarge

A peak of 13.3a for the first spark with a 3ms dwell followed by 4 more 9.6a 1ms dwell.

Then I tested a factory 04 z4 3.0

Click here to enlarge

A 6.9a draw on the first spark w/ 2.4ms of dwell then increased amp draw up to 9.7a with .75ms of dwell

Not sure why the amp draw went up but the first spark even was 6.9a vs 13.3a with the vag coils

I checked the secondary voltage of the vag coils but the scope wasn't very adjustable. Typical peak voltage was 6-7k and I got a spike of 61k volts when the plug wire slipped off. I don't really know what to compare this to yet and wonder if there is a way to calculate millijoules of this system.

Also for you hpf aem owners the coil drivers in the aem are current limited to 14a when cold and I think 12a when hot and it's driving 2 coils at the same time...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Also for you hpf aem owners the coil drivers in the aem are current limited to 14a when cold and I think 12a when hot and it's driving 2 coils at the same time...
    Go on...more details plz

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
    Go on...more details plz
    Do I need to build somebody a plug and play harness? I'm dying to see the results on a hpf car. I bet money it will fix that shaky looking dyno chart they all have. Cw u interested?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Do I need to build somebody a plug and play harness? I'm dying to see the results on a hpf car. I bet money it will fix that shaky looking dyno chart they all have. Cw u interested?
    If it is demonstrated that it does I would think HPF and everyone else would make the switch...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

My car dyno'd very smooth actually even with zero smoothing, torque curves, rpm the whole bit...nothing like proefi smoothness but still good imo. Sure my pump curve is a little more bouncy but its decent. I would love to try them. I'm going to investigate some local tuning shops here in the next month or two so if you're willing to fab up a harness I'll snap shipping and dyno costs...its gotta be clean and plug and play though Click here to enlarge

My location is at sea level and I do have 45gal on 110 sitting in my garage as well for that full 800rwhp pull...going to snag a new air filter as well soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sounds like a plan. Btw is your aem unlocked?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sounds like a plan. Btw is your aem unlocked?
    No it's currently locked...it's also a V1 EMS. Let me know if this is a problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast