Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Compression tests are fine but if its not misfiring compression is probably normal. Leak down testing would be ideal but is more of a PITA. I'd also peek inside with a scope to look for any signs of fatigue.
    would the BSH OCC toast a valve seal or valve cover gasket? Don't know, but when I ran the car hard with that can, I would lose a half quart of oil after 5-6 hard pulls. Once the can was removed, no issues whatsoever. Didn't lose a drop of oil, no smoke, no nothing. Did 5 60-130 pulls with no cooldown and no oil loss. Just white smoke on cold start but that appears to be normal for a catless car.

Perhaps the oil collected on the plug was just residual from back when I had the BSH OCC installed, and the oil collected immediately on the new plug just remnants from that? It's been 4000 miles since I removed the can. I will do a proper compression test, clean the spark plug hole, try an old clean plug and see if it fouls right back up.

Is there any definitive evidence that the coil pack sleeve would be covered in oil on this platform? I have dug through this site extensively and found nothing that visually confirms that the coil pack would get oil on it on a bad valve cover gasket.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My #3 plug looks the same way when I change them out, wasn't sure what to make of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    My #3 plug looks the same way when I change them out, wasn't sure what to make of it.
    Probably no drivability issues right? My car drives perfectly fine as far as I can tell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, got a good number of PMs on e90post saying they have the same issue I have but chose not to come forward with it. I bet there are more where that came from as well; the question is if it's a leaky valve cover gasket or that many people have engine damage? (I doubt it).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just stretched out my car this morning. Car runs great, engine feels smoother than ever. Simply perplexing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Just stretched out my car this morning. Car runs great, engine feels smoother than ever. Simply perplexing!
    This is very confusing indeed. The fact that the car is running smooth and putting impressive numbers in accordance with other N54s that have no issues is proving that it might be in fact the OCC you were running. As you said, cleaning everything and running an old plug for a while might prove this theory.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    would the BSH OCC toast a valve seal or valve cover gasket? Don't know, but when I ran the car hard with that can, I would lose a half quart of oil after 5-6 hard pulls. Once the can was removed, no issues whatsoever. Didn't lose a drop of oil, no smoke, no nothing. Did 5 60-130 pulls with no cooldown and no oil loss. Just white smoke on cold start but that appears to be normal for a catless car.

Perhaps the oil collected on the plug was just residual from back when I had the BSH OCC installed, and the oil collected immediately on the new plug just remnants from that? It's been 4000 miles since I removed the can. I will do a proper compression test, clean the spark plug hole, try an old clean plug and see if it fouls right back up.

Is there any definitive evidence that the coil pack sleeve would be covered in oil on this platform? I have dug through this site extensively and found nothing that visually confirms that the coil pack would get oil on it on a bad valve cover gasket.
    I can't think of any good reason a clogged PCV would effect cylinder #6 instead of say #1-#5. Maybe that one happens to have the weakest valve seal so all the pressure went that way? One easy test is to throw a clean plug in it, drive a few hundred miles, and reexamine. Especially if there are no active symptoms and the engine seems to run fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't think of any good reason a clogged PCV would effect cylinder #6 instead of say #1-#5. Maybe that one happens to have the weakest valve seal so all the pressure went that way? One easy test is to throw a clean plug in it, drive a few hundred miles, and reexamine. Especially if there are no active symptoms and the engine seems to run fine.
    Every search I've done points to a valve cover gasket regardless of platform.

Just thinking of every possibility. Click here to enlarge

Not sure if you missed it, but I did throw a new plug in cylinder 6 already and it was covered in oil and carbon after 5 minutes of idling. Next step would be to pull that plug and clean the spark plug hole and see if it fouls a clean plug again. Got 5 used but clean plugs sitting here for testing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm, then oil is getting in to combustion somehow. Maybe a ring or valve seal issue. I'd peek in with a scope and do the leak down test to try to eliminate a short block issue. If it's just a valve seal you may be able to live with it. Although, oil in combustion will lower the effective octane of that cylinder so it will need less advance. Not sure on the valve cover theory, doesn't make sense to me, but if people have had this same issue and that resolved it then I guess go for it. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm, then oil is getting in to combustion somehow. Maybe a ring or valve seal issue. I'd peek in with a scope and do the leak down test to try to eliminate a short block issue. If it's just a valve seal you may be able to live with it. Although, oil in combustion will lower the effective octane of that cylinder so it will need less advance. Not sure on the valve cover theory, doesn't make sense to me, but if people have had this same issue and that resolved it then I guess go for it. Click here to enlarge
    Oddly, I've NEVER seen cylinder 6 flatline or drop timing ever. Weird.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Oddly, I've NEVER seen cylinder 6 flatline or drop timing ever. Weird.
    Might because it is seeing less compression than the other cylinders.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    What a waste of your one daily post.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for using your one post responding to me. Click here to enlarge will do a proper compression test this time around.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At least it wasn't an attack or snide comment, give him that at least

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He has a point though
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    What a waste of your one daily post.
    I wouldn't consider helpful advice a waste.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice to see a helpful post. Good to you responding cordially on e90 too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't consider helpful advice a waste.
    x2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just changed mine last weekend and i noticed my number 6 plug was like that also. Alot darker than the others, but I didnt notice it being wet with fuel or oil. no misfires or CEL, on cold start it does idle rough when its at around 1000 rpm for about 30 seconds then when it falls to normal (600 rpm) it is smooth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Checked the injector coding, they were all within 2 numbers of the codes on the injectors. Guessing that's fine and can be ruled out as an issue?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    PS I took a ride in the other RB car in NYC at 18 psi peak and all I gotta say is.... HOLY COW! I am SO missing out on what RBs can do!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    PS I took a ride in the other RB car in NYC at 18 psi peak and all I gotta say is.... HOLY COW! I am SO missing out on what RBs can do!!!
    What do you mean by this? That his car was feeling better?

Try going from my car to Shiv's single turbo car last night. I just about crapped my pants with excitement. Epic fast. The top end is out of this world. It made a high hp supra feel like child's play.
    I know what I'm saving up for after the wedding. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by (-(ellblazer420 Click here to enlarge
    What do you mean by this? That his car was feeling better?

Try going from my car to Shiv's single turbo car last night. I just about crapped my pants with excitement. Epic fast. The top end is out of this world. It made a high hp supra feel like child's play.
    I know what I'm saving up for after the wedding. Click here to enlarge
    Considering I don't have a working map for my RBs I can't experience what these things can do on my own car. The wait continues for Cobb to help. Click here to enlarge

Stuck on a stock turbo map which has way too much WGDC for target. JB4+Cobb base map to hold me over? Well see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

JB4 is always available and a proven solution for RBs Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @themyst , any updates regarding your issue?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast