Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

New HPFP and code 29F2 again?? Going crazy!

Either my car doesn't like me at all, or I'm going crazy.

I'll try to make a long story short. Some months ago (running stock or Procede Rev 2) I felt that the engine induced little vibrations into the drivetrain when strongly accelerating in gears 4-6. This could clearly be felt in the driveseat. I always thought it was be some imbalance in the driveshaft or an axle. To describe how it feels.

Occasionnally I would also get a harsh limp mode with Half Engine Light when going WOT in 6th gear, at around 100-120mph. So the car would accelerate, but it feels like it's struggling a bit and then BAM! Limp mode. Very harsh, felt almost like the car hit a wall!

Then I upgraded the Procede to Rev 2.5 which smoothed things out alot. At this point it was clear that the culprit was in the fuel system, as Rev2.5 changed fuel control a bit. So the Procede hid the problem in fact. Running in map 0 still felt sluggish, some times more, some times less.

Then a few weeks ago I decided to change spark plugs (made no improvement) and dealer the car and they put in a new HPFP (no warranty, 700 EUR out of my pocket), the newest revision unit from the 1M.

This definitely improved things alot, and in stock mapping things seem to be ok (just...well, kinda slow Click here to enlarge). But running Procede Stage 2 maps 1 or 2, the problem still persists. Car performs strong in gears 1-3, but from gear 4 on I can feel these vibrations and it's just not smooth. I can also induce the 6th gear limp mode.

Now I can't believe the new HPFP is already f*$!ed up. Also I don't think the Procede is to blame, but I don't want to just randomly replace parts. So what other part in the high pressure fuel system could be at fault??

And if this wasn't enough, I've started to notice a metallic rattle when the car comes to a stop. Turbos has been replaced at 37000 kms due to wastegate rattle. This sounds a bit different, but it could very well be the start of another WG rattle sage. I'm srsly getting mad!! Click here to enlarge Just when I thought everything was fine the next issue is just around the corner Click here to enlarge WTF is up?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Have you looked at your injectors? I had some "vibrations" similar to what you describe before I got misfire codes and changed plugs and a coil before I tried replacing the cyl6 injector (where I had the codes). The "vibrations" where present for quite a while before I actually got any misfire codes.

When I got the CEL my first thought was also -"Oh no, not the HPFP again" Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Have you looked at your injectors? I had some "vibrations" similar to what you describe before I got misfire codes and changed plugs and a coil before I tried replacing the cyl6 injector (where I had the codes). The "vibrations" where present for quite a while before I actually got any misfire codes.

When I got the CEL my first thought was also -"Oh no, not the HPFP again" Click here to enlarge
    Might be worth a try. But shouldn't I be getting an injector-specific code? Hmm, I'll do a code readout tonight again to make sure there are no other codes. But like I said, I don't want to replace parts at my cost without actually knowing what the real issue is. Damn!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Might be worth a try. But shouldn't I be getting an injector-specific code? Hmm, I'll do a code readout tonight again to make sure there are no other codes. But like I said, I don't want to replace parts at my cost without actually knowing what the real issue is. Damn!!
    You should get a misfire code before replacing any injectors or coils. If 29F2 is a HPFP code maybe they screwed up the install? You should have at least a 1 year warranty on the new pump.
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    You should get a misfire code before replacing any injectors or coils. If 29F2 is a HPFP code maybe they screwed up the install? You should have at least a 1 year warranty on the new pump.
    Yes 29F2 is a high pressure fuel code. The limp mode is not caused by a misfire (I know how these feel as I've dealt with them before Click here to enlarge ). I feels like the engine is struggling to get enough fuel when engine load is very high (WOT in high gears = more engine load than WOT in low gears) and then fuel is brutally cut off.

Coils have been replaced last year, maybe 15.000kms ago. Car has now 77.000km.

Anyone? DZ? You probably know best how the high pressure fuel system on our cars work and what parts are involved Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

issue can be very well related to how procede handles fuel control by raising fuel pressure at the hpfp...try lowering the fuel pressure a tiny bit or just go cobb as it wont tax your hpfp, it runs stock fuel pressure
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    issue can be very well related to how procede handles fuel control by raising fuel pressure at the hpfp...try lowering the fuel pressure a tiny bit or just go cobb as it wont tax your hpfp, it runs stock fuel pressure
    Thx! Where would I adjust the fuel pressure? In the tables? Never dealt with that before but I'll have to give it a try as I need to figure out if it's purely software related or if the hardware is faulty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I think shiv calls it open loop tables...check with him or @JoshBoody maybe

If the car runs 100% fine stock its not your hpfp
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I think shiv calls it open loop tables...check with him or @JoshBoody maybe

If the car runs 100% fine stock its not your hpfp
    I'll do some more stock testing during the weekend. I may indeed switch to COBB if the problem only appears with the Procede. But wouldn't the same issue arise if the car can't deliver enough fuel for higher HP? Even if Cobb doesn't alter the fuel pressure, more fuel is needed than at stock power levels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I'll do some more stock testing during the weekend. I may indeed switch to COBB if the problem only appears with the Procede. But wouldn't the same issue arise if the car can't deliver enough fuel for higher HP? Even if Cobb doesn't alter the fuel pressure, more fuel is needed than at stock power levels.
    more fuel doesnt mean more hpfp pressure is needed...i run an aggressive map on RBs ~500wheel stock hpfp pressure
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Lower your "open loop" mapping and do a log that include fuel pressure in and fuel pressure out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

You can modify the OL map or adjust the OL scaler in the user adjustable menu. You may want to log after to make sure your trims are within spec.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Wow, just saw that there are alot of users on the other forum with the same issue!! If this is indeed Procede related, I'm officially done with this $%&t!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Interesting, keep us informed, might be worth it to try and find someone near you that would be willing to swap tunes just to see if that's the issue. I bet it's something else though like a hpfp or injector.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Wow, just saw that there are alot of users on the other forum with the same issue!! If this is indeed Procede related, I'm officially done with this $%&t!!
    I didn't want to respond so I would come out looking like a Procede basher, but as you say these issues are very Procede related.
    No other tune seems to suffer from them.
    Because of your track favoritism (and HPFP issues) I would advise Cobb, or JB4 as a good second.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Why would the Procede be causing HPFP issues?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why would the Procede be causing HPFP issues?
    Good question. In my case the HPFP *was* failing as I was having issues even in stock mapping. But even with the new pump a limp mode and error code are triggered. And THAT looks to be caused by the Procede. Anyway, I've contacted vendors for the best price for the COBB AP. Hopefully it will be the final tune on my car Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Good question. In my case the HPFP *was* failing as I was having issues even in stock mapping. But even with the new pump a limp mode and error code are triggered. And THAT looks to be caused by the Procede. Anyway, I've contacted vendors for the best price for the COBB AP. Hopefully it will be the final tune on my car Click here to enlarge
    Is this an issue encountered frequently?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Is this an issue encountered frequently?
    Astonishingly there have been next to no reports on this issue until last week. On my car the limp mode is triggered at around 110-120mph. So if one always stays within the legal speed limits, you're probably off fine. That is unless you live next to Germany with unlimited highways Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Astonishingly there have been next to no reports on this issue until last week.
    And they are coming out now?

You didn't report this earlier or did you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

And they are coming out now?

You didn't report this earlier or did you?
    No, I wanted to post it on Shivpost but I saw that there were already two recent threads about this issue. No response from teh Shiv as of yesterday in either forums. But it's been holidays, so we'll see if he uses his 1 daily post in this section on that specific topic Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

as Terry stated, you need to reduce open loop mapping. You can either do this globally, or finetune the lower rpm cells. But you need to log typical 3,4 gear pull along with conditions that trigger the code, and of course any mapping changes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Or try either the COBB or JB4, at least BMS has a 14day return warranty if it doesn't help Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Astonishingly there have been next to no reports on this issue until last week. On my car the limp mode is triggered at around 110-120mph. So if one always stays within the legal speed limits, you're probably off fine. That is unless you live next to Germany with unlimited highways Click here to enlarge
    I read the other forum and indeed it seemed to happen to a few procede guys recently. As one guy said, perhaps it's the maps. Also, the gasoline companies reformulate their fuel as weather changes so perhaps something is different in the fuel supply.

Trying Cobb out sounds like a good idea to me. Car problems suck. Good luck with it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

No, I wanted to post it on Shivpost but I saw that there were already two recent threads about this issue. No response from teh Shiv as of yesterday in either forums. But it's been holidays, so we'll see if he uses his 1 daily post in this section on that specific topic Click here to enlarge
    I don't understand the lack of response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast