Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Evolve-R S65 Tune review

I purchased the Evolve S65 Tune a few weeks ago. Pretty busy at work so I couldnt load it up until today. Chance would have it, Laloosh hit me up just before I did to see if I wanted to join him at Atco, how could I refuse..

First, the flashing process:
    Cable arrived in very nice packaging. Inside is a link to download the Evolve-R Software. Instructions are straightforward and very easy. Within minutes I had what I needed and went outside to start the process. I used a 7.5 trickle charger from my motorcycle days to keep a good charge on the car. Im not sure if it was required, but I figured it was better than nothing.

I followed the instructions and began "reading" my ECU. It took exactly 45 minutes. Once complete, I saved it to the Evolve folder, and emailed it to Evolve. This was on a Friday, due to the weekend, knew I wouldnt have it until late monday or tuesday. To my suprise, it was in my inbox first thing Monday morning.

Flash-forward until today:
    Brought my laptop to the car, no trickle charger connected, and began loading my new flash tune. Exactly 5 minutes later it was complete. Very user friendly software. I was now ready to engage in competiton..

First drive:
    AMAZING!
    The first thing I noticed was the cold start was gone, and I liked it, no more complaining neighbors with the cutouts open. I let the car warm up for a few minutes as usual while I grabbed a few things and tended to the dog. I pulled to the edge of my driveway to merge into traffic. WHOA! I pulled out and the car ripped alive.

All the lost low-end TQ was now back, and meaner than ever. I shifted to 2nd around 4krpm and chirped the tires. Thats NEVER happened before. I was already very pleased and money well spent. Things could only get better..

A short >5min ride and I was merging on the the EXPY and the car felt awesome, just awesome. the SOTP dyno could tell it was a definate improvement. Throttle response was instant, not overly aggressive, but just on point. I played around for a little while and made my way to my destination Click here to enlarge

The best part, is I can easily upgrade/update when I need/want to

Overall, Im very impressed with the Evolve-R tune and can honestly and in good-faith reccomend it to anyone in search of a tuning solution for their E9x M3.
    Sal and Paul are very easy to work with and very fast to respond to any questions. Evolves reputation precedes them, and they have definatly lived up to those expectations.

Good job EvolveClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

excellent....now lets do some pulls Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Good times today Steve

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Excellent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Good review,surprised with your reaction. Besides the low end torque do you actually feel it faster?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Good review. Thats exactly how my EVOLVE customers put it. The funniest thing is every time I drive my M3 it feels beautiful MashaAllah and its all thanks to EVOLVE Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Good review,surprised with your reaction. Besides the low end torque do you actually feel it faster?
    definately, it was at least 1.5mph improvement in the 1/4 mile. the car feels alive, like a precision instrument now, no DCT lag, no loss of low end grunt, doesnt run out of steam up top. I was cruising in 7th and gave it 1/2 throttle and the car actually moved out. i wasnt expecting that as high gear/low rpm is usually dull.

The best way i can describe the power itself, is it feels a lot like a FBO 335, not quite as "torquey" but powerful all over, especially in high rpm. Response is still instant though, so the deliver is still M,not 335ish

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    definately, it was at least 1.5mph improvement in the 1/4 mile. the car feels alive, like a precision instrument now, no DCT lag, no loss of low end grunt, doesnt run out of steam up top. I was cruising in 7th and gave it 1/2 throttle and the car actually moved out. i wasnt expecting that as high gear/low rpm is usually dull.

The best way i can describe the power itself, is it feels a lot like a FBO 335, not quite as "torquey" but powerful all over, especially in high rpm. Response is still instant though, so the deliver is still M,not 335ish
    That's a nice way to put it, I totally understand the difference with power. Pretty much all this car really needed was a nice tune to put it where it really needs to stand. Do you have xpipes? cat or catless.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

i have BMC airfilter, turner test pipe primary cat delete, factory x pipe (2ndary cats/resonators still in place), and exhaust cut-outs (no difference anymore with cutouts open vs closed- compared to .5 mph difference before)

I actually ran a 9.4 60-130 this morning as it was Awesome air, but the slope was over -3% so it doesnt count. once traffic slows down again, im going back out. there is an external factor i didnt consider before that i now have to pay attention to. vbox height is reading weird today, about 30' higher start point than usual, even though its the same exact location as every other run ive done..

im sure once adjusted for that, mid to high 9.x 60-130 will be possible, which oddly enough, is right about where the N/A record is currently sitting at.. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I have been waiting to hear your review! Such great news to hear.

Pretty much everything you share sounds very similar to my experience with my Evolve tune for my otherwise stock E90 M3 DCT. I guess I need to go catless now.....

Keep us posted on times and dynos numbers!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

you'll be at an advantage since you have a the tune now, so you wont get to notice what its like when you go catless/no tune to catless/tune

im considering dumping secondary cats since the car is officially a weekend car. curious about that improvement as well.

I really cant describe how invigorating the drive is now.

any fbo 335's in my area wanna come out and play? Ill make you famous Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

No before/after dynos?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

the dyno has been booked up. i will asap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

nice glad you love the tune! its going to be hard for an n54 to beat you now unless its in extreme kill mode etc etc

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

I believe removing all cats would perform better. As long as you do have some back pressure in the rear to keep your torque that you have down low. I wish you were here I want to race you. The last good race I had with an m3 had primary cat delete with an OE tune 6 speed. We were dead even from 60-120 and I had an extra passenger in my car. I thing it would be good between me and you I'm sure you'd pull cause of DCT.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Wow awesome to hear! I was going to wait for the supercharger and hit everything in one shot. I think you have changed my mind, I will purchase the software first i think.

Funny enough I had the N54, Turbos, Meth, everything and then one day just decided to go to the E92 M3 just about the sametime without knowing you switched as well. Its like were the same person.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DC47A Click here to enlarge
    Wow awesome to hear! I was going to wait for the supercharger and hit everything in one shot. I think you have changed my mind, I will purchase the software first i think.

Funny enough I had the N54, Turbos, Meth, everything and then one day just decided to go to the E92 M3 just about the sametime without knowing you switched as well. Its like were the same person.
    Thats good to hear. I wish someone was local so i could let them drive it and see if they can explain it better than I. going catless was fun, but the tune brought back everything I didnt even know it was missing and then some.

are you catless? i would do the TTPs and tune at the same time, maybe even a used air filter, your looking at very minimal $$ for a good performance bump N/A.

what exhaust did/do you have in mind even with the s/c?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The exhaust is going to be fully catless and a complete exhaust not sure yet exactly which it will be yet. Prob will not do headers, because I have seen in the past and on many occasions upgraded headers loosing a pound or even two of boost on many different cars on the dyno being supercharged. Seem to hurt torque as well. On top of the fact that they are not cheap for this application and do not gain that much more power N/A. I guess its a real showing of velocity and how it really helps. I will def do a new filter as well. I will share my findings and experience next week when I put this stuff in prob order monday or tuesday. Where did you purchase the Evolve tune Lost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I emailed Sal and he directed me to Paul.

If the headers are showing a boost drop, that's perfect. That's indictive of a better flowing exhaust. There was a brand selling for about $1500 here recently. I may have to jump on them then if that's the case.

Can you show me where all this data on headers and boost are?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont have the dynosheets and am not sure if there is any info online. Ive seen prob six different cars in person on the dyno make a pound or two less boost and less hp and torque with before and afters with stock vs. upgraded headers. An E46 M3 supercharged, an 850I and a 740I, a nissan 350z and an Infiniti G35. Let me see if I cant dig up any hard info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

hhmmm, any of that on the S65? i know many have tried and failed with producing HP on these since its such a well designed header OEM, but I would think if its reducing boost, its reducing back pressure, and it should make equal hp at lower boost, meaning you could bump the boost back up to whatever it was originally and gain..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well with a supercharger its hard to just bump the boost back up. You would have to got to another pully and retune. Non of this research has been done yet on the S65 though I dont think. George @ ICSPerformance has a ton of info on the topic. Huge BMW forced induction guy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Ah, I remember ICS. I thought u were being s65 specific

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trying to b e just havent been able to dig up any SC info with headers for the S65

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reviving an older thread here. Lost Marine - im going catless (primaries only), and curious whatnyour experience was when you were catless without the Evolve tune? im going the same direction and will eventually go with the Evolve tune, but will have to go without a tune for a few months. Im assuming ill see some nice gains felt from the seat of my pants....but sounds like the tune makes it that much better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast