Close

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Vishnu Single Turbo Record 60-130mph > 6.73 seconds - Discussion Thread

Shiv just updated his post...Looks like the single turbo hit 6's Click here to enlarge

Very impressive...Our N54 motors seem to be special to say the least! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    Just tested again earlier tonight. This time on a grippier surface so I could run with traction control off.

6.73s with a -1.6% grade

Videos, datalogs and VBOX data to come shortly Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    FWIW, the car is running new injectors (replacing the original "317" injectors that were clearly compromised). It is also running an MSD81 DME with the newest BMW software update. The only change to the DME software was a 7200rpm rev limit.

More info:
    ~94oct+PWM Meth (80/20)
    85k miles on 100% stock engine
    Spec Stg 2+ clutch w/light flywheel
    3.46 final drive
    Quaife LSD w/DSS axles
    Stock spark plugs
    Stock coils
    Forge DVs with yellow springs and shims
    Procede Rev3 with NLS and external 3.5bar MAP sensor (manifold referenced)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Which injectors is he running? Anyone have clue to which other BMW DI injectors would just "fit"?

Is this the "final" piece of the fuel system upgrade?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Holy crap. This is WICKED! Can't believe the stock engine is still holding up at these levels. N54 FTW Click here to enlarge

Now why didn't BMW couple it with an auto tranny that can hold some real power??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

6 out of 8 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    She's a runner for sure Click here to enlarge

What's really neat about this engine is how non-tempermental it is at these power levels. Tonight alone, I did around 10 60-130mph pulls. All of which were in the 6.7-7.1s range. And the fastest run was the last pull. Which was the 3rd back to back pull in a series. It's also worth mentioning that the engine has only consumed 0.5 quart of oil since the single turbo was installed 4000 miles ago. And this includes over a hundred dyno pulls, airstrip attack runs and HARD daily driving. Also running on stock plugs and coils. Compared to other engines, the N54 has some strange tuning requirements but, once sorted out, it's an amazing performer.

By the end of the month, the should have 3 more single turbo conversions up the running. 1 6MT and 2 6AT. We have some ideas on how to keep the 6AT happy at this power level without rebuilding it. Should be a very interesting month.
    Last edited by robert; 04-02-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

that carisa rocket...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1) that's fast

2) why did your fuel trims peg at their max in the 7sec record. What happened with fuel there?

3) you're getting serious timing corrections post shift in these runs down to zero when your targetted timing in midrange is higher as witnessed by the 2nd pull of the three

4) you're putting down about 12% torque more now with the 3.46 LSD than begore with the standatd 6mt 3.08 just due to gearing. I'm intrigued how much that additional torque at the wheels due to gearing is helping here...its great to see that 3.46 gearing can be great with a 6mt provided power to redline

5) I cant believe hotrod was doing 6.95sec 60-130. His car on nitrous was in the 600wheel range that means back then with just dps, meth and bottle and 6at on level ground
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 04-02-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

amazes meevery daybutthis company, I think isveryadmirableworkfor the communityn54
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Shiv, why not post under your own usename? You gave me $#@! previously for you "wanting to know who youre talking to" and yet, you post as Robert here. Very hypocritical.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Cant wait to see how long the stock engine lasts lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Why would someone neg rep him? Great accomplishment

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

I wonder how Shiv plans on dealing with the fact increased rev limiters on the 6AT don't do squat since the car automatically upshifts at 6850 or so. If he plans on going high rev limiter he won't be doing it on the 6AT short of a TCU reflash that I'm sure he's not capable of doing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    I wonder how Shiv plans on dealing with the fact increased rev limiters on the 6AT don't do squat since the car automatically upshifts at 6850 or so. If he plans on going high rev limiter he won't be doing it on the 6AT short of a TCU reflash that I'm sure he's not capable of doing.
    Doesn't the Cobb flash raise the limiter to 7200? Or is that on manuals only?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Doesn't the Cobb flash raise the limiter to 7200? Or is that on manuals only?
    No sir the increased rev limit only applies to manuals.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

No sir the increased rev limit only applies to manuals.
    Ah ok, didn't know that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Dzenno I guess squeezing the piss out of fuel pressure can only do so much for him. That and 4 meth nozzles Click here to enlarge

If I had a single turbo, rig piggyback for boost and meth safety / CAN stuff, flash for everything else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

So what are these injectors, and where did they come from? All these fueling issues are being solved this easy, what's going on.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    here's shiv's actual post:

Finally found a nice section of track in Mexico where tire spin was less of a problem than it was the other night. This meant I could run with traction control fully off to see what the car could really do. And it turns out, it can do some pretty remarkable stuff

Did 3 back to back 60-130mph pulls. And the last pull did a World Record breaking 6.73s
    with a -1.6% grade

Video of the 3rd run:

VBOX:
    Click here to enlarge

Datalog:
    I did 3 60-130s in a row. The last one was the fastest.
    All 3 runs:
    Click here to enlarge
    3rd run zoomed in:
    Click here to enlarge

Looks like the car can run 6.4-6.5s if I take advantage of the max allowable -3% grade. Which is pretty spectacular for what is literally a daily driver. We have put on 4000 HARD miles since the single turbo was installed a couple months ago. The engine currently has 85k miles on the clock. All HARD miles. Much love for the N54. Just needs some good tuning and a proper turbo system to make it sing

Shiv

he also mentioned dz's question about fuel trims:

Yes, a post NLS shift boost spike is unavoidable because the engine drop RPM faster than the turbo. Same reason 6ATs boost spike post shift. To compensate, I've mapped in some ignition retard during that condition. Which is why post-shift timing is low. I'm probably being overly conservative in this respect but the results are still good enough.

Th rev limit is set to 7200rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. Datalogs show the same. The tach needle doesn't seem to be very accurate when it's moving that quickly.

Someone mentioned fuel trims maxing out on another forum. If u look closely, you'll see this happens at the rev limit when throttle closes. We did this for a reason.

Next time out, we will mount the Hoosier drag radials. They are stickier and 8lbs a tire lighter. This road still isn't ideal due to its bumpiness. The tires were still skipping/spinning slightly. You can see this on the tach at the top of 4th gear. Hard to find a perfect road when the car is making this much real world power. And by "real world", I mean being able to back up the runs in the same datalog, let alone the same night Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Dzenno I guess squeezing the piss out of fuel pressure can only do so much for him. That and 4 meth nozzles Click here to enlarge

If I had a single turbo, rig piggyback for boost and meth safety / CAN stuff, flash for everything else.
    His car is running fast no doubt but I have huge concerns about the stability of the whole setup and pushing more power than what he's already done with the fueling, whatever it is, he's running. In terms of how THIS car handles fueling its all referenced off the INNER (intake manifold) map sensor, NOT the pre-throttle body TMAP. The inner intake manifold sensor is indeed a 2.5bar.

Without a proper upgrade there and DME rescaling, and in addition to that running just a piggy and telling the engine its STILL running stock load will no doubt unnecessarily impose a fueling limitation that is evident in his runs already (look at the 7sec world record pass and fuel trims flatlined at MAX). I don't know what he did in his 6.73 runs and the trims didn't flatline. Maybe he's resetting fuel adaptations all the time so the car raised LTFTs for the subsequent passes which gave him a bit more room there in STFTs.

There's also some massive timing corrections I saw in his world record back to back 60-130 runs, literally down to zero on the 1st and 3rd runs, while the 2nd run was fine post shift. Its clear that post shift the car should target about 5deg as seen in his 2nd of the 3 runs, when he shifts into 4th gear.

That procede tune in its current state leaves some major concerns for me. He has no visibility into timing corrections/retard on 2-6 cylinders at all no one including Shiv will ever know just how happy the engine is running that much boost. I'd say, given what's been observed on many other N54s so far, IF his cyl1 is that unhappy I can only imagine what his cyl2 and 5 timing corrections look like!

Piggybacks have always had the advantage so far in the ease of boost control calibration especially if you go with a single that may have an external wastegate where the stock solenoids wouldn't work for instance. Definitely a big advantage that removes a bunch of load based tuning headache. However, there are a couple BW EFR turbos that have internal wastegates as already discussed and quite possibly would be controllable by the stock solenoids with only a WGDC/PID rescale in the DME so that headache really might be moot depending on what turbo you go with. I'd love an EFR on my car for sure Click here to enlarge

I have the Aquamist HFS-4 setup now on the car and its failsafe really surprised me with how well it works without major hassle when meth runs out or flow is insufficient. No CELs, no limps, car just goes mellow from high boost to no boost, no abrupt jolt or any fuss really. All it requires is to dial in the knobs on the gauge for your min/max allowed flow when you get the thing installed and setup and you're off to the races. Scaling boost up/down progressively based on meth flow is really something that I see taking an insane amount of time to dial in if you're to call it an "advantage".

You set your car up with certain nozzles, inject based on fuel injector DC and MAP and use a certain meth mix you stick with. You dial that in to be running STRONG and safe in terms of boost/timing/afr/vanos as well as various timing/boost temp compensations (e.g. coolant, oil, charge air temps, etc). If any of the parameters fall outside the window just let the driver know and they can address it and run the car STRONG again, not half or 30% as strong or 72% as strong. I don't intend to drive my car 74.6% of its max potential ever, no one does. HFS-4 controller has a jumper on it to enable giving you a CEL in the dash when the failsafe kicks in. By default, the jumper is set to CEL OFF so it doesn't bother you, just does its work by taking boost out and makes you look at your flow gauge to realize the issue. More on this in a couple days as I'm still playing with nozzle placement, meth concentration, various controller settings and meth volume that satisfies octane requirements that raise pump gas to acceptable high octane levels and provide for enough spread/time through the charge path.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Sounds like it's running well! Why not just put a cage in it? It's much safer. I crashed a > 550rw car once at the track @ 100mph and it was not fun at all. Safety equipment FTW. A good 5pt cage with a removable door bar will only add 45# or so if done right and can make all the difference in walking away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

bimmerpost has even gone the stretch to not only ban my account but to also ban my IP address. They don't even want me looking at Shiv's posts anymore Click here to enlarge so pathetic, f u Jason u $#@!ing low life

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, a post NLS shift boost spike is unavoidable because the engine drop RPM faster than the turbo. Same reason 6ATs boost spike post shift. To compensate, I've mapped in some ignition retard during that condition. Which is why post-shift timing is low. I'm probably being overly conservative in this respect but the results are still good enough.
    I call bull$#@! there but post a log of procede's ign timing correction for the 1st and 3rd pull and I'll believe it...don't go making up a log for it now Click here to enlarge

Th rev limit is set to 7200rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. Datalogs show the same. The tach needle doesn't seem to be very accurate when it's moving that quickly.
    So the tach can't keep up lol?

Someone mentioned fuel trims maxing out on another forum. If u look closely, you'll see this happens at the rev limit when throttle closes. We did this for a reason.
    Actually, you don't have to look very closely. I'm not talking your last logs, i'm talking 7sec 60-130 logs from yesterday. I can't grab it off e90post as my IP is banned lol i've already explained in the post above why i think your trims maxed in that 7sec log and not now as it relates to LTFTs
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

You talk like an IP ban would stop you from visiting e90post. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

You talk like an IP ban would stop you from visiting e90post. Click here to enlarge
    it actually does but honestly people bring his crap over here anyway so in the end is there REALLY a point of visiting e90post anymore
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Other than regionals and FS sections I guess not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Awesome! Tuning wars and details aside, this is VERY quick for a stock head/internal N54 without nitrous! And I know there is still room left with that turbo.

I'm wondering how crazy things can get if we get a much better flowing head on there and some valve-train modification...

I'd say it's pretty damn strong so far for an all aluminum (minus liners), open-deck, 3.0L Inline 6 that only's revs to 7,000RPM. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I thought he is just using new OEM injectors, nothing special? Maybe I'm wrong....

This car is quick, can't wait for more people to come out with a single upgrade...the n54 is a beast!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast