Close

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,315
    Rep Points
    552.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Good oil comparison chart

    My friend sent me this.
    Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    thank you that is pretty cool, if you could ask your friend: would you mind adding a couple Quartz racing oils on there, maybe their 5w40 and their 10w50.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    thank you that is pretty cool, if you could ask your friend: would you mind adding a couple Quartz racing oils on there, maybe their 5w40 and their 10w50.
    Race oil is probably intended for single races and not for 3k miles or so... So i would assume it would not be very similiar and wouldnt be a great comparision because you are not comparing/designed by the same guidelines....

    I would love to see them as well though Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    i have to disagree with your first statement, racing oil, total quartz or not, is designed for more than one race, it would become quite expensive (if you're not sponsered or have a race team lol) if you had to change out oil for every race. i would change the oil every 5k or less you're right about that, but i would for any oil, even the stock castrol. the 5w40 is the best comparison, technically it's not a racing oil, the 10w50 is however classified as 'racing'. so yeah, im sure we wouldnt be the only ones who want to see a few more oil comparisons on that board.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Do you know this for a fact? I said "probably" because im just guessing :p

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i have to disagree with your first statement, racing oil, total quartz or not, is designed for more than one race, it would become quite expensive (if you're not sponsered or have a race team lol) if you had to change out oil for every race. i would change the oil every 5k or less you're right about that, but i would for any oil, even the stock castrol. the 5w40 is the best comparison, technically it's not a racing oil, the 10w50 is however classified as 'racing'. so yeah, im sure we wouldnt be the only ones who want to see a few more oil comparisons on that board.
    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    180
    Rep Points
    36.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i have to disagree with your first statement, racing oil, total quartz or not, is designed for more than one race, it would become quite expensive (if you're not sponsered or have a race team lol) if you had to change out oil for every race. i would change the oil every 5k or less you're right about that, but i would for any oil, even the stock castrol. the 5w40 is the best comparison, technically it's not a racing oil, the 10w50 is however classified as 'racing'. so yeah, im sure we wouldnt be the only ones who want to see a few more oil comparisons on that board.
    You use race oils in your 335i?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    Do you know this for a fact? I said "probably" because im just guessing :p
    i shouldn't say i know it for fact, because that would be a lie, but maybe abid does, he's really a fountain of knowledge for this kind of thing, hope he can chime in... but put it this way, you can use my car as a guinea pig, ive tried both oils when i track. and i dont change back to 'stock oil' when i leave Click here to enlarge i go there with the oil, race it and drive home on the same oil. i change it every 5k with no known issues (26k+ street and track miles logged), but two times have needed to put an extra quart in when the car says so, i guess it's collecting in the catch can i have Click here to enlarge i emptied it out about 6 months ago.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    You use race oils in your 335i?
    yessir, have been using it since i did my first change from the stock castrol back in early '07.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    180
    Rep Points
    36.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    yessir, have been using it since i did my first change from the stock castrol back in early '07.
    Why?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    Why?
    +1
    Click here to enlarge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    Why?
    great question, i guess the main reason why i switched is i wasn't impressed with the high temp properties that the castrol had. it got up to temp faster but exceeded the max temp threshold on fewer laps, i had to shut down in limp until it cooled. also the stock castrol, though they say is synthetic is actually not. unfortunately only a few oils out there are actually 100% synthetic, and dont tell me 'i read it on the bottle, it says 100% syn', some companies lie straight to your face, its really appalling what they can get away with. one of those few real syn oils are the total quartz line.

    in addition, i also debated on getting an second oil cooler, but after switching oils i found it wasn't necessary, the quartz oil stayed right around 250-270, even after 8 hot laps.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    180
    Rep Points
    36.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    great question, i guess the main reason why i switched is i wasn't impressed with the high temp properties that the castrol had. it got up to temp faster but exceeded the max temp threshold on fewer laps, i had to shut down in limp until it cooled. also the stock castrol, though they say is synthetic is actually not. unfortunately only a few oils out there are actually 100% synthetic, and dont tell me 'i read it on the bottle, it says 100% syn', some companies lie straight to your face, its really appalling what they can get away with. one of those few real syn oils are the total quartz line.

    in addition, i also debated on getting an second oil cooler, but after switching oils i found it wasn't necessary, the quartz oil stayed right around 250-270, even after 8 hot laps.
    Interesting. What weight oil do you they recommend you run N54's? Did you stay with that weight?

    And I agree about all the crappy synthetic oils on the market. However, I have found Mobil1 0w40 works well for my needs.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    Interesting. What weight oil do you they recommend you run N54's? Did you stay with that weight?

    And I agree about all the crappy synthetic oils on the market. However, I have found Mobil1 0w40 works well for my needs.
    they recommend trying their 5w40 on the first change. if you track and run the car very often you can try their 10w50 racing oil. the latter of which takes much longer to get to temp off of a cold start, so it may not be as good of a 'street use' oil depending on your driving habits. so yeah, try the 5w40 if you so desire, i assure you, you wont be disappointed. oh and that mobil1 you're using, is not 100% syn. even though it says it on the bottle Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,315
    Rep Points
    552.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Even though the chart ay not show it, Motul makes good stuff.

    http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/m...w-p-46221.html

    BMW LL certified.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    motul does make good stuff indeed, especially their 300v line of racing oils... they are also 100% syn when they say so, unlike many other name brands.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    180
    Rep Points
    36.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    they recommend trying their 5w40 on the first change. if you track and run the car very often you can try their 10w50 racing oil. the latter of which takes much longer to get to temp off of a cold start, so it may not be as good of a 'street use' oil depending on your driving habits. so yeah, try the 5w40 if you so desire, i assure you, you wont be disappointed. oh and that mobil1 you're using, is not 100% syn. even though it says it on the bottle Click here to enlarge
    What company are you recommending?

    0w40 is still a decent oil. I can guarantee that it is fine for my non track car. I have no need for a higher weight oil in a E36 either.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    im not a vendor, so im not trying to sell you a product, only going off what little experience i have. but if you want my recommendation, you could try total quartz, motul is great too, amsoil is usually fully syn when they say so, and even royal purple is pretty good stuff.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    60
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    If you are after true synthetcs then the best are, mobil, Silkolene, Motul, Fuchs, Redline . Ester based synthetic oils offer the best lubrication. Can't leave out one of best ester based fully synthetic engineered engine oils ........Fuch Silkolene Pro S or now renamed Fuch Titan Race Pro S.
    You can get it in 5w-30, 5w-40 or 10w-50
    Last edited by Sparky66; 06-12-2010 at 10:11 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,315
    Rep Points
    552.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Sparky, have you personally tried it in the n54?
    Impressions?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    60
    Rep Points
    8.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Yes, I'm using it right now and personally after researching the pointy end of oil technology, if you care about your engine longevity, I wouldn't be using any oil that is not the proven lab engineered ester based synthetic oil range.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,315
    Rep Points
    552.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    What lab did they use to do their research? Not trying to be an ass, just curious.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    326
    Rep Points
    512.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Isnt the Castrol Syntec OW-30 European Formula a full synthetic?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    2.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Yes, its sold here in UK as Castrol Edge 0w30.
    I use it in my car.
    Also the diesel varient is very similar but a different weight but just as good.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •