Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Aquamist HFS-4 Meth Kit

Work in progress!

Click here to enlarge

Everything's wired up, but still need to fine tune it. Also, I'm going to have to tap the WW tank to install the tank reader to make the fail safe work.

Just thought I would share my pump location. You can kind of see the metal plate I, bent, cut, and drilled to mount the pump. Hope to finish everything up tonight!

Thanks to @dzenno for the help and tips!
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey, I've personally found that spot for the pump to be pretty bad in terms of getting prime from the washer tank and would not recommend it. I've run it for a while due to huge popularity of that setup and just overall ease of access for maintenance. However, with the new HFS-4 setup I've got I've gone back to having my pump in the front bumper on the passenger side, right above the passenger side foglight.

Having the pump down lower makes it gravity fed and makes it keep as well as establish prime very very easily. In the other location you'd have to run your washers to get the prime to work and on top of that it wouldn't hold prime over time properly. And believe me, I've gone through A LOT of trouble to solve the issue as I really did like that behind the driver's side headlight location. Oh well..

A proper review will follow once I've dialed it in well enough and have had enough seat time with it. Off the bat, the Aquamist nozzles have MUCH finer spray pattern than any meth/water nozzle I've ever seen so far, and this is with their 1.0mm nozzles of which I'm using 2 on the car currently. Flow testing a single nozzle to a container at full flow, in my setup, provides about 500ml/min.

IAT drops better and faster with them then anything I could run with the coolingmist kit and various CM and DO nozzles. DO nozzles were terrible in comparison, especially DO14.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn, the only reason I didn't want to put it behind the bumper was it potentially getting wet while driving in the rain.

Right now, I'm tapped into the WW line near the ECU box (which might not be the smartest spot if it ever leaks), but it didn't seem to have any problems pulling fluid? Maybe because it's at the same level as the pump? How do you check to see if it's priming correctly? Pull the injectors and see if it sprays right off the bat?

I was thinking about tapping the WW tank just for the level sensor. Not sure how well this will work though.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Having the pump there in the bumper is fine. I've been talking to Richard at Aquamist quite a bit, as well as Jeff Howerton, and basically the thing you should do is to just put some silicone on the place where the 2 wires come out of the pump to protect it there AND to protect the wiring connection where the relay is for the pump. Richard said many just simply wrap a plastic bag over the wiring and relay and just tape it up so moisture wouldn't get in and its fine.

I ran my first meth pump in the bumper for 2.5 years with no issues ever. After changing over to behind the driver's side headlight location I could never have the system consistently hold prime over a span of a couple days. It was always a battle and fiddling. Some don't seem to have any issues but I had a ton. I also don't have any filter at the washer fluid tank pump so that wasn't the cause and I did have the checkvalve in the washer line in the right place to prevent the fluid from returning.

Talking to both Aquatec and Aquamist, these pumps don't like to suck through things a lot and appreciate having the tank higher than itself so they're gravity fed.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see. Thanks for the additional info. I'll look into moving my pump if I have problems with priming. You are the greatest Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'd really interested in the wiring portion of these installs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TLO03 Click here to enlarge
    I'd really interested in the wiring portion of these installs.
    It's not too bad, you just have to be thorough and double/triple check everything.

It comes with a diagram that makes everything really simple. You have to tap certain lines that go into the ecu with the provided plastic wire taps and then run the wires to the HFS unit in the glove box.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how can I get this to work on the JB4?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Salg@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    how can I get this to work on the JB4?
    If it comes with a flow sensor you can wire the 5V output to the JB4 pin#15 and skip the rest of the AM failsafe wiring, as the JB4 will handle that for you. Although, it seems like a lot of extra install work for very little benefit over our WW kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Having the pump there in the bumper is fine. I've been talking to Richard at Aquamist quite a bit, as well as Jeff Howerton, and basically the thing you should do is to just put some silicone on the place where the 2 wires come out of the pump to protect it there AND to protect the wiring connection where the relay is for the pump. Richard said many just simply wrap a plastic bag over the wiring and relay and just tape it up so moisture wouldn't get in and its fine.

I ran my first meth pump in the bumper for 2.5 years with no issues ever. After changing over to behind the driver's side headlight location I could never have the system consistently hold prime over a span of a couple days. It was always a battle and fiddling. Some don't seem to have any issues but I had a ton. I also don't have any filter at the washer fluid tank pump so that wasn't the cause and I did have the checkvalve in the washer line in the right place to prevent the fluid from returning.

Talking to both Aquatec and Aquamist, these pumps don't like to suck through things a lot and appreciate having the tank higher than itself so they're gravity fed.
    @dzenno, which tank are you using and where did you mount it? I was thinking about using the tank that goes over the battery, but I'm worried about it leaking onto the battery. If I put the tank on the opposite side, will the level sensor and flow sensor reach the glovebox? I was having a hard time having making the flow sensor reach the glove box from the driver side front.

Hurry up with your HFS-4 review and install pictures!