Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Calling ACT street Clutch owners

Hey Guys,

I've just got an ACT clutch (HDSD) and a new OEM flywheel installed. I also replaced all the parts/bolts that were suggested.

It's the first time I install an aftermarket clutch and have a few questions to make sure nothing is out of norm.

20 miles after the install, I noticed significant clutch chatter in reverse (the whole car shaking). it only happen in low load situation which is always the case in reverse.

I've driven around 100 miles now, and that chatter still occurs in reverse, just at a much lower amplitude. I can replicate that behavior in 1st if I launch the car with barely any revs/load, however the car will not shake, I will only hear chatter. If I launch around 900/1000 with some load, the clutch is perfectly normal, no noises... shifting through gears is also perfectly normal and I actually like the stiffer pedal feel and lower engagement point.

Thoughts on this? is it normal with ACT clutches at very low loads? or does it need more miles?

thanks!
    Marv
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've had mine in for about 300 miles and driven it in most circumstances and not experienced any chatter. I did the same as you as far as the new flywheel and associated parts in concerned.

On a side note, it took me a few miles to get used to the clutch but now I've got used to it, I'm really liking the feel and paired with my B&M SSK, it feels really good.

Maybe Dzenno and a few others who had the ACT in for a while might shed more light...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    I've had mine in for about 300 miles and driven it in most circumstances and not experienced any chatter. I did the same as you as far as the new flywheel and associated parts in concerned.

On a side note, it took me a few miles to get used to the clutch but now I've got used to it, I'm really liking the feel and paired with my B&M SSK, it feels really good.

Maybe Dzenno and a few others who had the ACT in for a while might shed more light...
    Thanks for your reply, I hope putting miles on it would make it better Click here to enlarge
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm in need of a clutch soon, trying to decide which route to go....I'll be interested in what is causing your chatter
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I'm in need of a clutch soon, trying to decide which route to go....I'll be interested in what is causing your chatter
    I've read a lot and it seems some people had it, others didn't. A lot of the people who did stopped having after break-in period.

From ACT's FAQ:
    Chatter is when the car shudders as the clutch is being engaged. Possible cause may be as follows: Flywheel has excessive run-out. Flywheel was not resurfaced or improperly resurfaced before the new clutch was installed. Damaged or excessively worn CV joints. Bad U-Joints in drive shaft or U-Joints misaligned. Excessive backlash in differential. Excessive driveline angle. Bad leaf springs, bushings or mounts. The use of an aggressive clutch disc designed for racing. Defective pressure plate and/or disc. Disc has inadequate Marcel (Not enough cushion between the friction facing.). Oil or grease contamination on clutch facings. Worn or damaged clutch linkage. Bent pressure plate assembly and/or disc. Improperly tuned engine. Worn or damaged engine mounts or transmission mounts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hopefully more people can chime in

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly I would be real annoyed if I had chatter....makes me just want to go OEM
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly I would be real annoyed if I had chatter....makes me just want to go OEM
    I hear ya. I drove it today for a while, and I only get chatter in reverse now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    I hear ya. I drove it today for a while, and I only get chatter in reverse now.
    Is it only when the clutch is at a certain point?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Depends how bad it is but i'd say nothing to worry about. A lot of times we all exaggerate things because its a fresh install and we're paying more attention to it. Give it some time
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Depends how bad it is but i'd say nothing to worry about. A lot of times we all exaggerate things because its a fresh install and we're paying more attention to it. Give it some time
    +1

I've got a minimal chatter after changing to the ACT clutch. The chatter occurs at very slow driving on first gear at light throttle when the clutch is half-engaged. It has no practical drawbacks, it is just an observation. On the plus side this clutch holds torque very good during gear changes and it has not shown a single sign of slippage even at high boost (20 PSI) at any RPM. The stock clutch begun to slip as soon as the boost level was increased above 18 PSI and it soon became more end more prone to slip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    +1

I've got a minimal chatter after changing to the ACT clutch. The chatter occurs at very slow driving on first gear at light throttle when the clutch is half-engaged. It has no practical drawbacks, it is just an observation. On the plus side this clutch holds torque very good during gear changes and it has not shown a single sign of slippage even at high boost (20 PSI) at any RPM. The stock clutch begun to slip as soon as the boost level was increased above 18 PSI and it soon became more end more prone to slip.
    I truly loved the ACT clutch...it put up with a lot of torque given its rating
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have any of you experienced chatter with the act clutch? My car is at ACM right now and they advised me to get ready to change my clutch because it doesn't feel very strong. My car is Cobb stg2, 16.5 psi, fbo with 50,000 miles, all original. I might just go with the OEM clutch but I don't know.....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is it only when the clutch is at a certain point?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    +1

Sticky, it is exactly as described above by R1000K3.
    My OEM clutch was more than fine at stock boost or stage1, but once I flash to stage 2+, third is useless and so pulled the trigger on the ACT after reading superb reviews on it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't say it is very bad, and I have to say it got better. and you are definitely right about the exaggeration. it is the first time I put in an aftermarket clutch on my personal car and hence I don't know what is normal. But at this point it is a mere observation, and it makes me feel better than you and others think it's OK.

I got to say I really like the way it feels, I can't wait to let her rip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have any of you experienced chatter with the act clutch? My car is at ACM right now and they advised me to get ready to change my clutch because it doesn't feel very strong. My car is Cobb stg2, 16.5 psi, fbo with 50,000 miles, all original. I might just go with the OEM clutch but I don't know.....
    I have 200 miles on the new clutch now and I already really like how it feels. Chatter has become minimal even hard to induce in first gear. I can still induce it in reverse at very low rpms and at the point where it hasn't engaged yet (R1000K3 described it better than I did hehe).

I've read a lot of reviews about this clutch and all of them were great. Dzenno, Mr.5, tscdennab are the ones I remember on the top of my head. Dzenno put his through hell with RBs, and he changed because it started to slip in 6th gear hehe. He also mentioned it had meat left on it when he took it, but it just couldn't handle the torque his car was making. Mr.5 also mentioned he drag raced a lot with that clutch and it holds perfectly. tscdennab likes his mods to feel exactly like stock when you're driving slowly and likes it....

That's why I pulled the trigger on this clutch Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, it is exactly as described above by R1000K3.
    My OEM clutch was more than fine at stock boost or stage1, but once I flash to stage 2+, third is useless and so pulled the trigger on the ACT after reading superb reviews on it
    A lot of guys when they go to a lightweight flywheel get chatter but it is only when the clutch is at a certain point or when sitting idle. You can probably work around it somewhat although I get that it is annoying.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well hopefully my clutch holds up for the summer, I'd rather get new wheels...I'll prob just end up doing both lol
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A lot of guys when they go to a lightweight flywheel get chatter but it is only when the clutch is at a certain point or when sitting idle. You can probably work around it somewhat although I get that it is annoying.
    Actually my flywheel is a new OEM unit, not aftermarket. My clutch is aftermarket. But you're right I can give more load at the engagement point to eliminate the noise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    --Update: Noise/shuttering is completely gone. Clutch feels great. Pedal is still stiffer but I prefer that way. I've been driving on stage2+ sport for a while and the clutch handles the power effortlessly throughout the powerband and during hard shifts. For those wanting to upgrade, don't hesitate!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good to hear. I noticed that the biting point was very low on initial installation but 2k miles later and it feels like it is the same as the original clutch.

Totally agree with your last statement, don't hesitate it's an excellent upgrade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Good to hear. I noticed that the biting point was very low on initial installation but 2k miles later and it feels like it is the same as the original clutch.

Totally agree with your last statement, don't hesitate it's an excellent upgrade.
    Definitely true, Engagement point relaxed with miles. All in all great mod.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, @marv85 and @bobS, you both upgraded (or have slipping stockers) clutches after going S2+? I plan to go S2+ this spring/summer and wondering how long the stock clutch will hold out. Hopefully I can make it till the winter when I can swap it out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No I haven't upgraded yet, the clutch is holding but it's on it's way out. It isnt as sharp as it should be. I'm hoping to replace it this fall or winter and get through the summer with this clutch. We'll see...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    So, @marv85 and @bobS , you both upgraded (or have slipping stockers) clutches after going S2+? I plan to go S2+ this spring/summer and wondering how long the stock clutch will hold out. Hopefully I can make it till the winter when I can swap it out.
    I actually drove on S2+ for a while before the clutch started slipping. My clutch was already in bad shape and I was over 70k. Take it easy during shifts and your clutch will hold for a while. It was only when I started shifting the hell out of it that it started slipping. Eventually, It was slipping even when it's already in gear and I floor it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast