Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Loss of power (high RPM - 1st - sometimes 2nd gear) - Dealer is thinking that the idle control valve might be to blame?

Awhile back, I was driving my car – and noticed when in 1st or 2nd gear, and the engine was at the top-end of the operating range – the car would “stutter” (can’t think of a better way to describe this). It almost felt as if the wheels were “almost” spinning (traction control being too aggressive or something) – and considering the weather has been cold, and have had winter tires on the car, it made sense in my mind. However, now that things have warmed up here in Chicago, the issue hasn’t gone away – in fact, the hotter the car gets - the worse the issue is. If I start the car after a night of sitting, row slowly through the gears (sorry – flap through [DCT]), and let the car warm up completely without “beating” on it, I can get about two “full throttle” rolls (1st-2nd) without any hesitation or stutter. However, once it is “hot” from a few of these, it will start up again and get progressively worse.

I took the car into the dealer, explained the problem – and the engineer was a bit perplexed. He didn’t know what the issue was – and at first he also thought it was wheel spin (or TC invoking aggressively – as this is almost exactly what it feels like). I ensured all electronic nannies were off, and he admitted to it being an issue. After what has been said about the possible oil starvation issues/cylinder 5 failure on this car, I was/am a bit worried. However, I just received a call saying that they went on another ride today – this time with another tech/engineer that owns an M3.

Over the phone, he told me that I had numerous faults for the Idle Control Valve – but other than this, there were no faults. The tech with the M3 also forwarded on some interesting information. He said that the car felt very different than his – almost as if there was an issue on the LOW end. He said the car didn’t feel “right” and wasn’t responding as his does at low speeds. I drive this car everyday, and cannot say I ever noticed this – but I also don’t use too much acceleration from a complete stop on a regular basis. When this hesitation occurred, it was after a rolling start – as I don’t like to put strain on the drive-train for no reason. Needless to say – I am wondering if I was missing this power for a longer period of time (before the hesitation was noticed).

I haven’t found too much about this issue, and to be quite honest – don’t understand how an idle control valve would have anything to do with an issue at high RPMs. I have scoured the internet for a bit now, and cannot find much information. Does anyone have any best guesses as to if this could be the actual reason? I can see this causing the low-end issue (maybe?), but not the high RPM hesitation.

I always use Shell 93 – so I don’t think it is ignition/timing adjustments that I am feeling… Hesitation is almost a bad way to word the issue – but I can’t think of a better way to describe this feeling/sound. Considering the M3 owner “felt” an issue with low-end grunt, it is nice to know that this will be addressed (some way or another) – but would like some feedback on the idle valve causing the hesitation… Also, if this thing is this important - why wouldn't the fault bubble up to the driver? Why "keep" this from the customer?

The part is on backorder, and then it will be tested out; will keep you guys up to date.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man, I have no idea how to help on this one.

I mean yes, this could be an issue with the idle valve I suppose although I don't really see how either.

I mean if the part is replaced and it goes away I guess we have our answer. When do you get it?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Man, I have no idea how to help on this one.

I mean yes, this could be an issue with the idle valve I suppose although I don't really see how either.

I mean if the part is replaced and it goes away I guess we have our answer. When do you get it?
    A little disappointed I kept screwing around in "the 370z thread" - people are less likely to take me serious now... Surprised no one posted. Click here to enlarge

Yeah, so the idle valve was replaced, car definitely feels stronger off the line, but the problem is actually worse. Could be because they stripped a bolt on the intake manifold (so only one holds it down/air is coming in after MAF?) - but yeah, it's going back for a better look. I read some threads on a UK M forum - a guy was having this issue - they couldn't resolve it, and BMW M replaced his engine (and he had like 4k miles on the car IIRC).

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    a guy was having this issue - they couldn't resolve it, and BMW M replaced his engine (and he had like 4k miles on the car IIRC).

I'll keep you informed.
    Please do, want to see what they do about this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No idea man. Too new to the s65, and the fact these guys are about warranty, noone posts such questions.Maybe try some different fuel?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    No idea man. Too new to the s65, and the fact these guys are about warranty, noone posts such questions.Maybe try some different fuel?
    Looks like a few others are having similar issues - and fuel was mentioned; ethanol was the cause for at least one other person. I always stick with good gas, but noticed BP is now putting ethanol in their gas. I am bringing the car in again next week - will keep you guys informed.

Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like a few others are having similar issues - and fuel was mentioned; ethanol was the cause for at least one other person. I always stick with good gas, but noticed BP is now putting ethanol in their gas. I am bringing the car in again next week - will keep you guys informed.

Thanks.
    Have they diagnosed it yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Have they diagnosed it yet?
    It's going in tonight after work - so probably won't hear anything back until tomorrow at the earliest. Hoping for the best.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, the car has been in the shop for ... umm, way too long. They have been able to replicate the issue - and cannot figure out what it is. They are now thinking it's "bad gas" - but this would make no sense as the car has been doing this for months - and I always get my gasoline from BP or Shell (93) w/o Ethanol when possible. I have a feeling others having this issue are going to be in the same boat - this is a serious issue in my book if they cannot resolve it. Any ideas how to escalate this further? In other words - how do I get this car fixed properly?

Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Well - it's been a long journey. It ended up being my motor mounts believe it or not. They were completely thrashed. If anyone ever has this issue, have the dealer check these immediately. The issue is completely gone - and the car has a fun 1st gear again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well - it's been a long journey. It ended up being my motor mounts believe it or not. They were completely thrashed. If anyone ever has this issue, have the dealer check these immediately. The issue is completely gone - and the car has a fun 1st gear again.
    Good to hear you got this solved! What is the mileage on your car?
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Good to hear you got this solved! What is the mileage on your car?
    When the issue started, it had a tick over 50k - right now, it's a tick under 60k. I am curious if this is about how often something like this would wear on a car like this. Chicago weather probably didn't help much either.

Glad it's finally though. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad to hear the issue is resolved...but too bad it took 4 months. Did you go to a BMW dealer or independent shop?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by longboarder Click here to enlarge
    Glad to hear the issue is resolved...but too bad it took 4 months. Did you go to a BMW dealer or independent shop?
    Sorry for the late response... Click here to enlarge

BMW dealer got it sorted out, after a few visits though.