Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Question M54 turbo questions

Hi all, I want make m54 turbo and have few questions:
    Almost of all m54 turbo projects used CP pistons with 84.5mm instead 84, why they didn't use stock size pistons (84mm) ?
    In that cases they just increase bore in machine shops, is this safely for boosted engine ? Cylinder liner remains strong after that ? As I remember cylinder liner in M54 has ~1.5mm thickness. And after boring it should have ~1.2mm.
    I would start boosting from 10 psi.
    Who can setup stock ecu (ms43 euro) for boost ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

The only person I know who is doing that ECU well with turbos is Nick G at Technique Tuning.

Secondly, you want to talk to @bluejeansonfire and @PEI330Ci for your other questions.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I think NickG stage 1 would be the best call for this. Many miles and smiles later, when the engine dies of old age or whatnot, then consider a build. Nick will include tuning for his kit. This is a huge selling point as I dont know who else would be able to help you. I'd also talk to Andreas considering your euro-market status.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

You have to take a minimum amount of material out of the bore to properly "finish" the surface in preparation for new rings. Keeping an 84mm bore means you'd keep a somewhat ovalized bore for the new pistons which will accelerate wear.

The simplest way to explain this is to reference why you change sprockets when replacing the chain on a motorcycle.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010