Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Polish Kite surfer fought off sharks for 40 hours in the Red Sea until help arrived

If he had Vodka he would have ridden one of those sharks home:

A Polish man fought off repeated shark attacks for two days while attempting to kite surf across the Red Sea, Reuters reports.
    Jan Lisewski, 42, survived the ordeal by fending off sharks up to 6 yards long with a knife, and overcoming thirst and exhaustion with the help of energy drinks, some water and two energy bars. "I was stabbing them in the eyes, the nose and gills," Lisewski told Polish state news agency PAP.

Lisewski had completed two-thirds of a 124-mile attempt to cross the Red Sea from the Egyptian town of El Gouna to Duba in Saudi Arabia when his kite was suddenly deflated.

He sent out an SOS signal, but it took nearly 40 hours for the Saudi Arabian coast guard to locate him.
    Lisewski was the first person to kite surf across the Baltic Sea last year, Reuters reports.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/03...#ixzz1ppaodA6H

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yes, he was a stupid $#@! who panicked and stuck his knife into a dozen curious charks, who had no intention whatsoever to eat him.
    Old news.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Yes, he was a stupid $#@! who panicked and stuck his knife into a dozen curious charks, who had no intention whatsoever to eat him.
    Old news.
    Wow man, harsh, but good, lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Sharks may grab people with their teeth to check them out. When they circle you during the day and and close in at night, would you let them take a bite? I think you'd stab.

"They were about 2,5 to 6 meters. They attacked me through my kite, which must’ve also attracted them because of its colour," Lisewski said. "I stabbed them in the eyes, nose and gills. The fight, which I’ve miraculously survived, took whole night. By the morning, they were gone. There were eleven of them."

Read more: http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/...#ixzz1prBzDr7R

“Maybe he had a premonition,” Lisewski, 42, said.
    Kite surfing is an extreme sport in which the rider uses a special kite to harness the wind and propel him across the water.
    Lisewski, who hails from Gdansk and who became the first person to kite surf across the Baltic Sea last sea, set off on his adventure last Friday.
    His goal was to kite surf from Egypt to Saudi Arabia, a distance of about 124 miles.
    The forecast called for favorable winds. But two-thirds of the way across, he said, “the wind suddenly died” and deflated his kite.
    Lisewski said he gathered the kite material around him and made his first SOS call. He said the waves got bigger but he wasn’t too worried. He had no idea it would take the Saudi Coast Guard 40 hours to find him.
    “In comparison with the second night, the first was quiet,” he told PAP. “I finished the water and ate my energy bars, but I still had two energy drinks.”
    At one point, Lisewski said, the wind pushed him tantalyzingly close to shore, only to reverse direction and send him back out to sea.
    “I could see fishing boats and I set off an emergency flare,” he said. “But I guess they didn’t see it.”
    Dawn broke again and Lisewski found himself being pushed towards a reef.
    “It was the worst place possible,” he said. “Sharks were circling. Some of them were two, five, six meters long. In total, I counted eleven of them.”
    When night fell, the sharks moved in and the battle began. But by morning, he said, “they were gone.”
    Later that day, however, “the next shift arrived,” Lisewski said. “These sharks circled very close to my battered raft, but they didn’t attack,” he said.
    Asked if he had lost hope at that point of being saved, Lisewski said no.
    “Hope dies last,” he said. “I was bouyed by the sight of a rescue helicopter flying overhead and I was sure they spotted me because one of the crew was waving.”
    Within hours, Lisewski was plucked from the surf by the Saudi Coast Guard and flown to shore. Doctors said he will be able to return home soon.
    “To the shock of the doctors, I was in good condition,” he said.
    csiemaszko@nydailynews.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

That is so wrong. He should have rather waited for them to get right up close to his leg to see if they where smelling or had intention to bite just before he stabbed them. Talk about a twitchy trigger finger. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Polish Power!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

WTF Shark activists?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

You $#@!es need to stop qq-ing about attacking sharks. You would have done the same thing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    WTF Shark activists?
    Click here to enlargeLMAO
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Should have grabbed one and tried to ride it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

$#@! the knife...I would have bit the shark.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Someone needs to smoke a bowl.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scorpion Click here to enlarge
    Should have grabbed one and tried to ride it.
    As I said he would have needed Vodka. He probably would have made a saddle out of his kite and ridden into the harbor in Poland like a boss.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

That reminds me of a scene from the movie Cabin Boy where he rides Sharky to shore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    That reminds me of a scene from the movie Cabin Boy where he rides Sharky to shore.
    Don't remember it but it sounds awesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    Sharks may grab people with their teeth to check them out. When they circle you during the day and and close in at night, would you let them take a bite? I think you'd stab.

"They were about 2,5 to 6 meters. They attacked me through my kite, which must’ve also attracted them because of its colour," Lisewski said. "I stabbed them in the eyes, nose and gills. The fight, which I’ve miraculously survived, took whole night. By the morning, they were gone. There were eleven of them."
    Ya, what kind of shark does that though?
    Sharks that swim around in groups are whitetips, grey sharks and Hammerheads.
    Whitetips are 1,8m, Greys up to 2,5m and a hammerhead will grow 3,5 to 4 meters.
    He would have remembered seeing a Hammerhead though.
    All of these sharks are awesome to swim with, and are not at all dangerous to humans as long as you do not provoke them.
    5 and 6 meter sharks would be Whalesharks. They eat plankton.
    He probably peed in the water which attracts fish and small creatures, which in turn attracts bigger fish.
    It's like walking on a sidewalk and meeting a baseball team with bats.
    they will just walk on by, but if you start stabbing them you will surely piss some of them off.

What I find most unbelievable about this story from this probably dillusional man (he had no food for 40 hous exept some energy bars) is he can count 11 sharks in pitchblack water.
    11 dorsal fins at the same time will make for way more sharks then 11. They are not dolphins.
    I made nightdives in the Red Sea, and when switching off your torch under water you can see some vague forms due to starlight and moonlight, but from the surface looking down there is absolutely nothing to see.
    Furthermore, man eating sharks are solitary fish, which will only attract in groups when there is already something to eat in the water.
    The only real dangerous sharks in the Red Sea are Oceanic Whitetips, and they are a rare sight indeed.
    Had he come across one and it had an appetite for him, he would have lost a leg without seeing anything coming.

This guy just watched too many Jaws movies. He would have been just fine without a knife. Or maybe he made the whole story up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

His story is a bit weak but who cares that much? It's a half assed story on the Internet. I like sharks and survival stories so it doesn't bother me. It's small news.

Maybe he is an ass. Idk

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    What is half assed is the Saudi response time. 40 hrs to find the guy ??? Guess they had to take a break from beating their wives to find him

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Great PR Campaign

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

This guy just watched too many Jaws movies. He would have been just fine without a knife. Or maybe he made the whole story up.
    The guy is a king among men. He fought off sharks with a knife while being stranded for 40 hours. Nothing further needs to be said except that he is a man.

The Polish don't make stories up. And additionally, he would have survived for 80 hours with a toothpick and some vodka. FACT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I call bull$#@!.
    No reason to saint the Polish people.
    There are more then enough youtube videos that say there are stupid Polish people, just like everywhere else.
    IMO he is a stupid $#@! who wounded some innocent sharks, if he did even that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

No reason to saint the Polish people.
    Yes there is because they are awesome.

This guy lived off a couple energy bars while fighting off sharks with a knife. That is so manly words are no longer necessary. Just nods of approval and beers all around.

There are more then enough youtube videos that say there are stupid Polish people, just like everywhere else.
    Those are just to throw you off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

lol, sounds like stabbed a curious shark, which attracted others, which he continued to stab at. Sounds like either an elaborated story or a story of random stupidity.

I've never had a problem with any sharks while scuba diving. They are just big fish and if you make a quick movement you can scare one as easily as a goldfish. I would make an exception for sharks over 3 meters and/or designed to eat mammals though...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mkodama Click here to enlarge
    lol, sounds like stabbed a curious shark, which attracted others, which he continued to stab at. Sounds like either an elaborated story or a story of random stupidity.
    More like was surrounded by shark, whipped his dick out, and $#@! them up.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mkodama Click here to enlarge
    I've never had a problem with any sharks while scuba diving. They are just big fish and if you make a quick movement you can scare one as easily as a goldfish. I would make an exception for sharks over 3 meters and/or designed to eat mammals though...
    That's because you aren't Polish.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

[He hails from Gdansk now this explains it . I have family there who are a lil out of their mind as well .
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast