Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

1M Coupe VS M3 GTS Nurburgring Lap 7.45

Advevo just posted this, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. He's fun to watch behind the wheel. Enjoy!

Click here to enlarge
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, Driving-Fun had a trackday last monday where they went at it.
    If I recall correctly this 1M has JRZ suspension and he runs on Toyo R888 tires.
    Still. a superfast time
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How do we know it is a 7:45 and what did the GTS turn?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    on Toyo R888 tires.
    Mmm, I stand corrected.
    Michelin PS2 tires.

1M coupe with JRZ suspension and 2 Recaro race seats lap was done in 7.45 Bridge to Gantry on original michelin PS2 tires.

No traction control. DSC off.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who is driving the M3? Looks a little unstable going into and coming out of a couple of those turns.

7:45 is freaking cooking. That is a pretty fast time for a 1M, especially on just suspension and street tires, puts it higher than a lot of other cars that cost way more.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But we don't even have the laptime numbers for both?

Yes, M3 was a little squirrely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1M is awesome. With a fast spool setup that stops the torque drop in the higher RPM it would be perfect. Does great when pushed. Maybe RB turbos with some head work?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not regretting my choice to pick up a 1M. Loving this video Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mtarone Click here to enlarge
    I'm not regretting my choice to pick up a 1M. Loving this video Click here to enlarge
    It's a nice little car, definitely.

Create a thread on your ride!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

A clarification on the different track lengths:

The pure Nordschleife is officially 20.832m long. That is driven either during trackdays or the so called "Industriefahrten" (days where the track is rented out exclusively to the automobile industry and where they test cars from all sorts of manufacturers all day long) or as an officially race timed lap during the "Rundstreckenchallenge Nürburgring" (RCN). Timed full-length Nordschleife laps are usually run on the industry days. It is no longer possible to set an official Nordschleife lap record (as far as race timing goes - which is the only thing that is officially official, everything else is marketing bs) as the RCN has set a fastest laptime of 7:15 (for the 20.832m), anyone that goes faster will be black flagged and excluded.

Then there are track variants. Nordschleife + GP course, Nordschleife + GP course in the 24h version (26,3km - out of my memory... give or take a few meters) and Nordschleife + GP course in the VLN version (24,5km - out of my memory... give or take a few meters). And there is the pure GP course in 5 or six possible versions.

When trackday organizers rent the track, they can choose which version they want to rent. If you want the Nordschleife, then Nordschleife alone is the cheapest option. Cheap being relative. It is probably the most expensive track in the world to rent for a day. Oh well... it's also the longest. By far.

Since Nordschleife trackday organisers have the entire track, you can time, drive and film a full lap. However not all makers of laptimers, software, etc. have understood the difference of the individual tracks, rather track lengths and the different start/finish lines. So sometimes you end up timing something you don't really want, because your equipment doesn't offer the option you need. (Happened to me on the Nordschleife last Saturday when I realized the predefined and preloaded trackset on my GPS laptimer was set to a wrong start/finish line.)

BtG (Bridge to Gantry) is a merely a construction to try to have someting compareable when driving in tourist traffic. Mind you: timing is NOT permissible during tourist traffic! It happes, that they confiscate timing equipment at the entry to the track when they see it. Rightfully so, imho! The reason is, that the long straight (Döttinger Höhe) cannot be driven as a straight. Why? You end one lap and start the next and before doing so, you have to show your ticket.

The lap the SportAuto uses is always shorter than a full Nordschleife lap. It is 20.600m if you add up the individual sectors (see the supertest lap (from their own website) for the 1M below):

Click here to enlarge

There's no sensible explanation for their lap-length choice. But they started with it, so they have to stick to it, otherwise laptimes would no longer be compareable.

If you look at the image above, you can easily see that the 1M needs 49,3 seconds for the straight, measured from the gantry to their end of lap. The "bridge" is located right after the ultra fast left hander (Antoniusbuche). From there to the "Hohenrain" chicane is about 700-800m.

There is another big difference between the SportAuto lap and BtG (at least BtG done correctly). BtG is done with a standing start, as Andre and his friend do. The SportAuto lap is a flying lap. If you "fly" a BtG lap, you'll have approx. 220km/h on the start line, with a standing start, I would say between 100-140km. Quite a difference!

To make a long story short it is almost impossible to compare the two. Drive them, time them, then you know. Everything else is pure theory.

Andres lap is pretty darn fast. No wonder, he is a fast driver. It simply shows the 1Ms potential.
    Click here to enlarge
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.