Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

n00b reviews JB4

Hi guys-I've been reading and studying the forums to learn as much as I can about tunes and mods. I'm an old fa*t and been fooling around with cars for years, even built a couple old school rods from the ground up. Got my first BMW a few months back, 08 e92, sport, OC, 19" 230's, Steptronic, Titanium on coral red,PPK, 45k mi, I love it.

Agonized over which tune for a long time, came down to JB4 or Cobb, (no Vishnu pls for reasons discussed on this forum and over at n54). Pulled the trigger on the JB4, again for reasons discussed on the forums. I'm a fair mechanic and figured I could easily handle the install, plus Terry's customer service is legendary.

Installed yesterday afternoon. Getting to the ecu was a piece of cake. I took my time to make sure I got it right and routed the usb cable to the glovebox. That entailed removing the ecu and disassembling the ecu box amid a myriad of wires. Wrestled with that for a while. If you're going to do this pay attention to the cable routing thru the box to the section the JB4 winds up in. It ends up in the second space from the ecu towards the front of the car. I had to pull the box apart twice to get this right. It was not easy to pull the connectors apart. I needed both the pdf and video to figure this out. I was terrified I'd break a connector or pull a wire loose, so I lost some time here. Would be cool if either the video or pdf or both went into more detail here.

As stated in the directions, the large subconnector was a real sob to get in place. the color coded connectors with the JB4 made the connections a snap. I did have to pull them apart and reconnect to improve routing so all would lay nicely under the lid. The power connection was pretty easy, although you gotta be manly manipulating those pins. Be sure the new pin slides all the way home in the power connector. Oh yeah, when you open the little door on the power connector and it falls off, you didn't break it, it just comes off. Don't forget to put it back on like I did. Also, pay attention to routing of the power wire here so it's not under tension when all is laid flat. Buttoned up box, reconnected battery, started car and all was well. Success!

The brief driving test occured today, about 30 minutes ago. Ran thru menus, kept it on map 1, the car is bone stock other than the PPK. Oh yeah, my plugs have 3k mi on them and I just had the intake ports and valves walnut blasted. Here's a n00b question, when toggling the oil is warm light, how do you know on from off? Anyway, I disabled CAN flap and took off. Car runs and drives absolutely normal. Idle rock solid at 650. Seamed a bit more responsive from a stop. Throttle response feels good, linearity feels stock - it's like buttah. Oil comes up to temp, I can feel a sense of urgency, but I waited til oil got over 200*. Then I nailed it.

Holy sh*t, Batman! Can you say traction control? Sure ya can! Did a couple 3rd gear pulls for learning purposes, the difference over the PPK is substantial according to ye olde butt dyno. Definitely put the pucker factor warning system into play. Not a hiccup, take your foot out and drive like stock, don't even know it's there. At this point I'm impressed.

Then, i was putting down a back road at 45 mph, nobody around, so I pull the shifter to DS and nail it. Down shifts, starts to go a little sideways, traction control light comes on. Holy fu*k, did this thing just try to light the tires at 45 mph? Did it again - a little squat, a little movement to the side, TC light. Dry road on stock 265 rf's, but still, it won't do this stock. I'm going to leave TC on for a while til I get used to this. Pulled in the driveway, wife needed the car, clicked to map 0, away she goes none the wiser. I love it. I wasn't going to do any other mods but since there's no emission testing where I live I can feel some down pipes and fmic coming.

In closing, thanks for a great product Terry. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me when I can't figure out uploading and data logging. It sucks to be a dinosaur! Oh yeah, this unit was shipped on 3/12, what firmware do I have? Today was my birthday and this was a great present. BTW, I was wondering if a bottle of NOS octane boost in a tank of 92 octane, combined with the reduced timing provided by the PPK program, would allow use of map 2. I'm definitely going to try this on map 5. If anybody out there is agonizing over which tune, I'm sure you can't go wrong with the JB4 or the Cobb.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks again! Click here to enlarge

With MMT based octane booster on 93 yes you can use map 2. Firmware you'll have to check using the laptop at some point. Running the USB in the glove box is nice but 90% of our customers just leave it on top of the DME cover for quick access with no extra labor. But either way is fine!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Titanium335 Click here to enlarge
    Hi guys-I've been reading and studying the forums to learn as much as I can about tunes and mods. I'm an old fa*t and been fooling around with cars for years, even built a couple old school rods from the ground up. Got my first BMW a few months back, 08 e92, sport, OC, 19" 230's, Steptronic, Titanium on coral red,PPK, 45k mi, I love it.
    Agonized over which tune for a long time, came down to JB4 or Cobb, (no Vishnu pls for reasons discussed on this forum and over at n54). Pulled the trigger on the JB4, again for reasons discussed on the forums. I'm a fair mechanic and figured I could easily handle the install, plus Terry's customer service is legendary.
    Installed yesterday afternoon. Getting to the ecu was a piece of cake. I took my time to make sure I got it right and routed the usb cable to the glovebox. That entailed removing the ecu and disassembling the ecu box amid a myriad of wires. Wrestled with that for a while. If you're going to do this pay attention to the cable routing thru the box to the section the JB4 winds up in. It ends up in the second space from the ecu towards the front of the car. I had to pull the box apart twice to get this right. It was not easy to pull the connectors apart. I needed both the pdf and video to figure this out. I was terrified I'd break a connector or pull a wire loose, so I lost some time here. Would be cool if either the video or pdf or both went into more detail here. As stated in the directions, the large subconnector was a real sob to get in place. the color coded connectors with the JB4 made the connections a snap. I did have to pull them apart and reconnect to improve routing so all would lay nicely under the lid. The power connection was pretty easy, although you gotta be manly manipulating those pins. Be sure the new pin slides all the way home in the power connector. Oh yeah, when you open the little door on the power connector and it falls off, you didn't break it, it just comes off. Don't forget to put it back on like I did. Also, pay attention to routing of the power wire here so it's not under tension when all is laid flat. Buttoned up box, reconnected battery, started car and all was well. Success!

The brief driving test occured today, about 30 minutes ago. Ran thru menus, kept it on map 1, the car is bone stock other than the PPK. Oh yeah, my plugs have 3k mi on them and I just had the intake ports and valves walnut blasted. Here's a n00b question, when toggling the oil is warm light, how do you know on from off? Anyway, I disabled CAN flap and took off. Car runs and drives absolutely normal. Idle rock solid at 650. Seamed a bit more responsive from a stop. Throttle response feels good, linearity feels stock - it's like buttah. Oil comes up to temp, I can feel a sense of urgency, but I waited til oil got over 200*. Then I nailed it. Holy sh*t, Batman! Can you say traction control? Sure ya can! Did a couple 3rd gear pulls for learning purposes, the difference over the PPK is substantial according to ye olde butt dyno. Definitely put the pucker factor warning system into play. Not a hiccup, take your foot out and drive like stock, don't even know it's there. At this point I'm impressed. Then, i was putting down a back road at 45 mph, nobody around, so I pull the shifter to DS and nail it. Down shifts, starts to go a little sideways, traction control light comes on. Holy fu*k, did this thing just try to light the tires at 45 mph? Did it again - a little squat, a little movement to the side, TC light. Dry road on stock 265 rf's, but still, it won't do this stock. I'm going to leave TC on for a while til I get used to this. Pulled in the driveway, wife needed the car, clicked to map 0, away she goes none the wiser. I love it. I wasn't going to do any other mods but since there's no emission testing where I live I can feel some down pipes and fmic coming.
    In closing, thanks for a great product Terry. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me when I can't figure out uploading and data logging. It sucks to be a dinosaur! Oh yeah, this unit was shipped on 3/12, what firmware do I have? Today was my birthday and this was a great present. BTW, I was wondering if a bottle of NOS octane boost in a tank of 92 octane, combined with the reduced timing provided by the PPK program, would allow use of map 2. I'm definitely going to try this on map 5. If anybody out there is agonizing over which tune, I'm sure you can't go wrong with the JB4 or the Cobb.
    You need to space your posts better if you want people to read them.

Here, I'll help you.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Once you get used to the power you will keep adding more mods to get your fix. Before you know it you will have upgraded turbos and be selling yourself on the streets to support your methanol habit.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by doogle Click here to enlarge
    Before you know it you will have upgraded turbos and be selling yourself on the streets to support your methanol habit.
    Hahaahah, I like that!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks, Sticky. I is a eelectrician and haven't spent much time keyboarding. I promise I'll do better next time.

Thanks to you also, Terry. Can't wait to try map 2. If I ever have to pull the JB4 and cable out I probably wouldn't put the cable back in the glovebox. After doing the initial install I think I could do it a gain in half the time.

Doogle, I'm already setting aside money for upgraded turbos. I figure the stock units will fail sometime, why not bump it up a little. My first appt. to sell some blood is today - jk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LSD should be the next thing on the mod list. Enjoy your car.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    LSD should be the next thing on the mod list. Enjoy your car.
    I agree with you. It probably should have been the first mod a rational person would make. It really should have been standard equipment, oh well. Modding this car is a little tricky for me because this is my wife's DD. I convinced her to replace her perfectly good '06 TL with this car. I hated the the TL, a soul free, torque steering, ergonomically challenged appliance of a car, but very reliable. Whenever we used it I made her drive. Now I am quite smitten with the BMW but so is she. She's afraid I'll mod the car and break it. She has good reason to feel that way. The JB4 was quite painless but now I see I may have to sell a toy or two and get my own German toy.