Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thumbs up HKS Legamax 335i Exhaust

A few months back I sold my AE catless exhaust. For those of you that have researched or heard many exhausts on this car you probably know that of all the 335 exhausts the AE has always been claimed the best in terms of sound, drone, look and power. Well, after 3 years of daily driving the car, rush hour traffic for an hour in the morning, hour after work, I just decided I would give up on it. It was a great exhaust no doubt but the booming/bassy 1500-2500rpm range whether going through it or cruising in 6th was getting to be quiet annoying.

I went back to the stock exhaust and it was a HUGE relief to the point I was in love with the car again and could drive it daily with pleasure and zero annoyance. In the power department hitting the dyno and comparing against the same modded car on the same day on the same tune with the only difference being a catless vs. stock exhaust showed a difference of about 15whp roughly at 480whp/490wtq levels. While I did truly love the stock exhaust I wanted to have an all out option with the exhaust cutouts from DMH. I blindly ordered them without considering fitment. Having gone under the car to examine possibly fitment locations I realized that I couldn't get it installed anywhere but right before the rear mufflers. I wanted to install them before the secondary cats and before the resonator on the midpipes, however, there is just simply no room. Even if squeeze in somewhere there's a high chance of burning stuff under the car given how short the cutouts would have to be. I didn't want to cut out my secondary cats, do a muffler delete or take out the resonator on the stock exhaust as I've heard a few setups locally and didn't like the sound at WOT. In addition to it I'd still have the 2.25" ID pipes and knowing myself I wouldn't like that either. So I cancelled the cutouts and dropped the "modify the stock exhaust" approach.

All this time the HKS 335 exhaust has been in the back of my head as an option after reading great things about it in a number of online reviews. On top of that after shipping out my AE exhaust and having a conversation with Steve@JRP he told me that a bunch of his customers went with the HKS and some even called back to thank him and praise the HKS as being the perfect mannered daily drivable yet awesome sounding at WOT. Looking at it, it had better steel than the AE, had CNC laser welding, had resonators on both pipes and had an H-pipe on the midpipes. The resonators, the h-pipe, honest review from the Grassroots Magazine article back in 2009 and money left over in my paypal acct from the AE exhaust sale, added up together and I decided to get it. Already had a local buyer too in case I didn't like it for any reason to go back to stock again.

It was delivered to Ivo@Columbus Automotive in a huge box with Japanese writing and the HKS logo. I was shocked at the size of the damn box, looked like a couch arrived. Opening it up, TONS of amazing foam padding, everything wrapped up well. I have never seen anything so well packaged of all the aftermarket parts I've ever purchased for this car. Truly unique. Thinking to myself at the moment, if it'll only sound as good as it was packaged. I honestly had a huge doubt in my mind that it could improve on the AE but, again, the h-pipe and resonators had me thinking. Measuring the ID of the pipes, it was actually a tiny bit larger than AE, 2.56" ID. Stock was 2.25"

Once installed, started the car up, cold start was softer/quieter, nice! Drive it out of the shop, on the street, car warming up still, sounds almost like stock just a touch louder. Down at 1500rpm there's a deep sound but it goes away really fast doesn't hold for 1000rpms like on the AE. Go out on the hwy, no drone/bassiness/booming sound cruising! zero! Oil temps warmed up and this was the moment of truth. Step on it, niiiiiiceeeee Click here to enlarge the sound I guess because of the combo of the resonators and the h-pipe was completely different from the AE and to me this was honestly the best sound I've heard from this car in a long time. I would highly recommend an h-pipe to anyone that doesn't have one on their exhaust, especially if fully catless.

Really happy with it. Don't prefer the burnt tips but I don't mind them much either, just something different. Next up, we'll see how it does on the dyno compared to stock exhaust before. Too bad that I couldn't test the cutouts really wanted to do/see that happen but there just isn't enough room.

Some pics, they don't do it justice honestly:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad your happy with the HKS. It's always been my favorite 335i exhaust.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    videos! wtf mang Click here to enlarge
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AE has always been notoriously loud. i don't have cats nor resonators and mine is quite livable, the turbos quiet it down. although that is quite subjective i guess, but i too am not a fan of the ~2-3k rpm booming noise. a while back, i was scared after i got my downpipes that adding an aftermarket exhaust would give me that $#@!ty sound in that range (by watching videos). but to my surprise, mine doesn't make this noise unless i try to make it, my usual driving habits have it so the noise only comes up for a short period, otherwise its inaudible. the active exhaust i have has an x pipe fwiw. oh, i recently found out i actually have a goPro on the way. a very belated b-day gift from my folks, but very much appreciated! guess we'll be comparing sounds/dash speed for now dz!
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great looking exhaust D, looking forward to hearing it in person.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Isn't the Vanguard exactly the same exhaust ?? I find it strange cause the Vanguard sound $#@!ing loud in my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's my favorite 335i exhaust as well. Thanks for the review!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    vanguard is a copy of the hks but a really bad one..cant actually believe the popularity it gets on the other board but it has to be among kids mostly...heard it in person as well and it soumds nothing like the HKS, its a lot louder and less refined sound wise
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 03-18-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that weight has the exhaust linefriend???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ok 61 libras,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My AE exhaust is plenty acceptable to me, it is pretty quiet compared to previous exhausts I have owned. No drone either.. I am 24 though so maybe with age you get tired of even a little noise. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Another 9 years on top of that my friend and you'll see Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had vanguard, sounded good when on the throttle, but boom and over all i was happier to go back to stock exhaust for same reasons as you. I still think the Miltek is the best exhaust there is. very light, zero drone and perfect tuned tone (had it on vs Lambo-not that anything could be heard over a catless lambo though) HKS looks good, i hope it fullfills all your needs Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I had vanguard, sounded good when on the throttle, but boom and over all i was happier to go back to stock exhaust for same reasons as you. I still think the Miltek is the best exhaust there is. very light, zero drone and perfect tuned tone (had it on vs Lambo-not that anything could be heard over a catless lambo though) HKS looks good, i hope it fullfills all your needs Click here to enlarge
    I was looking at the Milltek and the Borla as well but the HKS always had me pondering. Took a friend that has a beast 535xi coming with a level10 xi built tranny and RBs out for a quick ride. He's got an Eisenmann on his 5 series, he also confirmed I wasn't lying to myself Click here to enlarge

Here's a few quick pics off the phone today:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like that rear diffuser and the CSL bootlid. What wheels are those, 18"?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    These are 17x9 all around, Apex Arc-8, 17.4lbs each. They have a GB going on now actually on the other forum in case you or anyone else is interested. I've sold all my rims and these will be run winter/summer just swapping tires. At the moment still on my 225 winters Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    These are 17x9 all around, Apex Arc-8, 17.4lbs each. They have a GB going on now actually on the other forum in case you or anyone else is interested. I've sold all my rims and these will be run winter/summer just swapping tires. At the moment still on my 225 winters Click here to enlarge
    Nice, how is traction with 225's? lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Malaka1 Click here to enlarge
    Nice, how is traction with 225's? lol
    Click here to enlarge i hook up in 3rd past 4500rpm lol now that its warmer out poor winters are just melting off...have a set of Nitto 555 front (245), 555R rear (275) coming that I'll run on the street this summer...275 hoosiers on K1s for the strip...time to break more $#@!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha sounds like fun!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Can you report back in a few hundred miles? Interested to see if there are any noticeable changes.

The first e92 I rode in, before buying mine, had this exhaust. Loved the sound, but never got to drive it on the highway to check for drone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Already have 500km on it, love it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I loved my Vanguard until about 1000 miles in or so. Then it turned horrible... please update us in a few hundred kms
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a vanguard and sometimes wish it was quieter as well. My car isn't my daily driver so i can live with it for now. The vanguard looks exactly like the his exhaust, are u sure they aren't made in the same overseas factory? Lol
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This exhaust does look really nice. Well done thread.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want to go louder ! I like the new hpf exhaust sound with the resonator and thought about making something like that but a little bit bigger. To me it's all about speed ! Lighter and more power is what I want
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast