Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

M5 Engine Confirmed

Might need to create a new Engine section (or just add S63 to the N63 section)

What started as a rumor last year, it has finally received some official BMW backup. The next generation 2012 BMW M5 will be indeed powered by a V8 turbocharged engine. The information comes from BMW’s M boss, Dr. Kay Segler, in a recent interview for Auto Bild.
    The powerplant in the F10 M5 is based on the same unit found in the BMW X5 M and X6M, the twin scroll twin turbo version of the N63, known as the S63, with Cylinder-bank Comprehensive Manifold (CCM).

While Dr. Segler has not confirmed the power output, everyone’s expectations lie within the 585-600 horsepower range. As the M boss pointed out, the new M5 will offer the best of two worlds: for normal everyday driving and for use as a race car , triggered by a push of a button. “The philosophy of “Two Cars in One”, which we have once established, you will find it explicitly in this vehicle.”, said Dr. Segler.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Yes, S63 just needs to be added.

Thanks Segler for telling us what we already knew Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This whole non M specific engine thing is gay as $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    This whole non M specific engine thing is gay as $#@!.
    I agree bmw is going to Sh*t with that idea. Why not have the M division build the motor for FI?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

S63 Click here to enlarge - now uninformed people will think we're talking about benz

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    I agree bmw is going to Sh*t with that idea. Why not have the M division build the motor for FI?
    Uh.... that is what the M division is doing.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a non M engine.

You know this braaaaaahhh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    Its a non M engine.

You know this braaaaaahhh.
    Well, in my opinion real M engines have aspiration the way it should be, naturally.

It is a tweaked base motor. Many M engines have been but now this is a lazier approach with far less M motor skill being displayed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont see why they didn't do a built M spec turbo motor. I believe the motor will not be as stout, and it will have issues. I hope not, but going cheap in a 90+k car is not a great idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M5Hearting Click here to enlarge
    I dont see why they didn't do a built M spec turbo motor. I believe the motor will not be as stout, and it will have issues. I hope not, but going cheap in a 90+k car is not a great idea.
    What are you basing them going cheap on?

The parts will take more boost than the NA motors simply due to the compression, regardless. However, are the parts as stout as their high revving friends? I don't know, the S54 was overbuilt from the ground up for NA work, not forced induction and look at how stout it is.

This is an issue we will discover over time but with the gains the N54 has shown so far without falling apart even the lower quality motors (sorry N54 peepz Click here to enlarge ) are quite stout with boost. M would not just pour more boost into a motor without taking many supplemental issues into account. These things will be beasts, count on it.