Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Anything I should know?

I want to start messing around with waxing/detailing stuff a bit. I picked up meguiars ultimate quik wax spray, along with the tire cleaner. Is their anything specific I should know or is it pretty hard to screw this up?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    man, i been trying for a few weeks now, and its not easy. at least not on black. ill let someone else chim ein, but i have a few hundred $$ spent on stuff, and its still not perfect, even the leafblower i bought is tough to dry with Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    man, i been trying for a few weeks now, and its not easy. at least not on black. ill let someone else chim ein, but i have a few hundred $$ spent on stuff, and its still not perfect, even the leafblower i bought is tough to dry with Click here to enlarge
    Mines black too Click here to enlarge, it seems impossible to get it perfect. Always watermarks and I always somehow miss spots. If you're having trouble I don't stand a chance at all haha.

Any specific type of cloth you would recommend to dry and polish with?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Guys - also have a black car and I detail it about 3 times a year.
    Here's what you need:
    Porter Cable 7424
    Menzerna cutting and finishing polish
    Menzerna Glaze (although I don't use it most of time)
    Menzerna FMJ
    really. . .any Carnuba Wax
    Here's the break down of the pad colors (get one of each) - it depends on how bad your swirls are.
    http://www.autogeek.net/kompressor-buffing-pads.html
    Also, under NO circumstances do you take your car to a drive through car wash and if it's at the dealership, have standing orders to have it not washed.

This final one is going to sound counter productive - wash your car when it rains - don't have to worry about the different mineral and chemical composition of the tap water. . .
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by motorkas Click here to enlarge
    Guys - also have a black car and I detail it about 3 times a year.
    Here's what you need:
    Porter Cable 7424
    Menzerna cutting and finishing polish
    Menzerna Glaze (although I don't use it most of time)
    Menzerna FMJ
    really. . .any Carnuba Wax
    Here's the break down of the pad colors (get one of each) - it depends on how bad your swirls are.
    http://www.autogeek.net/kompressor-buffing-pads.html
    Also, under NO circumstances do you take your car to a drive through car wash and if it's at the dealership, have standing orders to have it not washed.

This final one is going to sound counter productive - wash your car when it rains - don't have to worry about the different mineral and chemical composition of the tap water. . .
    Cough...umm yeah about that part haha. The main problem I have is with drying, what's the best way to dry a black car before watermarks. Do you guys just use a brush and those soap attachments that you hook onto the hoses or do something else?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scorpion Click here to enlarge
    Cough...umm yeah about that part haha. The main problem I have is with drying, what's the best way to dry a black car before watermarks. Do you guys just use a brush and those soap attachments that you hook onto the hoses or do something else?
    Click here to enlarge OH GOOD LORD DON'T USE ANY SORT OF BRUSH ON BLACK PAINT!!!!!!!!!!Click here to enlarge. . .Use multiple micro fiber towels for drying (you can get them at Pep boys, Target where ever in the auto department). . .I have 6 large ones and about hundred little ones (I keep buying packs of 12 every time I detail - they're about 10-15 dollars for a pack of 10-12). Also the soap I use is made by Menzerna (some soaps are worse than others and can strip the wax - or so I've been toldClick here to enlarge.

My drying procedure:

1 large microfiber towel to dry the windows first (the towel will get wet and this is good for later)
    1 large microfiber towel for the hood and trunk (towel will be slightly damp after this)
    I continue to use this towel on the sides of the car with and third completely dry towel in the opposite hand - as I'm taking off water and leaving streaks behind, I use the completely dry towel to follow up and remove all residual water.
    Do the other side in the same manner.
    Last I do the roof, using the original window towel, followed by the dry follow up towel.

Car should be dry with no water marks or streaks

Now the important part:

After the car is dry, start it up to put back in the garage. This will cause all the water that's been trapped in the molding to come running out and then go back with the mini towels (first get it with the damp original towel).

It sounds like it takes alot of time but it doesn't - it's just a process and honestly, I'm usually done in less than 10 mins.

Hope that helps!!!!!!!
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Totally forgot - Don't wash your car in the middle of the day - either first thing in the morning or time it so that you're drying as the sun is setting - that way the water stays on the car longer and doesn't evaporate. Also, as you're washing the car - you have to keep it wet the whole time you're washing it. . .which means you have to soap down in sections (you can't do the car all at once) - everytime you soap down a section - you have to rinse the WHOLE car or else you'll get water marks.

My order is:

soap the hood - rinse the whole car
    soap the roof and trunk - rinse the whole car
    Soap the left side (but leave the lower 1/4 untouched because this is where all the dirt and grim collects and will get caught in your microfiber washcloth and can scratch the car) - rinse the whole car
    Soap the right side (again, leaving the bottom 1/4 alone) - rinse the whole car
    Soap the bottom 1/4 left - rinse whole car
    Soap the bottom 1/4right - rinse whole car
    Soap the front - rinse whole car

Then it's time to dry.
    Click here to enlarge

George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Totally forgot - Don't wash your car in the middle of the day - either first thing in the morning or time it so that you're drying as the sun is setting - that way the water stays on the car longer and doesn't evaporate. Also, as you're washing the car - you have to keep it wet the whole time you're washing it. . .which means you have to soap down in sections (you can't do the car all at once) - everytime you soap down a section - you have to rinse the WHOLE car or else you'll get water marks.

My order is:

soap the hood - rinse the whole car
    soap the roof and trunk - rinse the whole car
    Soap the left side (but leave the lower 1/4 untouched because this is where all the dirt and grim collects and will get caught in your microfiber washcloth and can scratch the car) - rinse the whole car
    Soap the right side (again, leaving the bottom 1/4 alone) - rinse the whole car
    Soap the bottom 1/4 left - rinse whole car
    Soap the bottom 1/4right - rinse whole car
    Soap the front - rinse whole car

Then it's time to dry.
    Really useful information, really appreciate the help with this. I"m guessing I can use the microfiber towels to apply the spray on wax as well, or should I use something different?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They should be fine but they will have a really fine micro fiber application pad just for wax. If you do go the way of the regular microfiber towels, use a sharpie marker and put a "W" on the towels you use. It's hard to get wax out of the towels so this way you don't accidently use those when you were drying the car.
    Click here to enlarge

George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They should be fine but they will have a really fine micro fiber application pad just for wax. If you do go the way of the regular microfiber towels, use a sharpie marker and put a "W" on the towels you use. It's hard to get wax out of the towels so this way you don't accidently use those when you were drying the car.
    Ah, smart thinking. I'd upvote you again if I could, won't let me :/. So use the sponges instead of the brushes for the soap?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah, smart thinking. I'd upvote you again if I could, won't let me :/. So use the sponges instead of the brushes for the soap?
    they should have micro fiber towels with "tenticals" - I'll post pics as soon as I get home from getting my wife. . definitely NO brushes.
    Click here to enlarge

George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    they should have micro fiber towels with "tenticals" - I'll post pics as soon as I get home from getting my wife. . definitely NO brushes.
    That would be really useful as well. I'll have to pick up one of those soap attachments for the hose as well.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.chemicalguys.com/category_s/80.htm

Third one down from the top for the wash mitt (its a mitt but i don't but it on my hand) - I tried one of the soap attachments and it didn't work to well for me - I just went to home depot and picked up a bunch of buckets (1 for soap and water 1 for just water 1 to hold dry towels 1 to put dirty or wet towels in...buckets were like 2 dollars a piece)
    Click here to enlarge

George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.chemicalguys.com/category_s/80.htm

Third one down from the top for the wash mitt (its a mitt but i don't but it on my hand) - I tried one of the soap attachments and it didn't work to well for me - I just went to home depot and picked up a bunch of buckets (1 for soap and water 1 for just water 1 to hold dry towels 1 to put dirty or wet towels in...buckets were like 2 dollars a piece)
    Perfect, thanks again for the help. I'll let you know if I have some more questions.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and if it's at the dealership, have standing orders to have it not washed.
    Why?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why?
    Most of the time dealerships use the cheapest products to save money and employees that don't know or care enough to wash your car correctly. It may look fine when you get it, but if you detail it yourself you will see all the swirl marks that were left by dirty sponges/towels. The soap they use will also most likely cut through the wax.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My last car was black. I always found it helpful to drive it into the garage to dry it. Getting it out the sun, helps cut down on watermarks. Just give it a good rinse before you pull it in to dry. Like others said, only microfiber towels. If you have to dry the car in the sun, dry the side that is in direct sunlight first.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by doogle Click here to enlarge
    Most of the time dealerships use the cheapest products to save money and employees that don't know or care enough to wash your car correctly. It may look fine when you get it, but if you detail it yourself you will see all the swirl marks that were left by dirty sponges/towels. The soap they use will also most likely cut through the wax.
    Good to know, I always let the dealer wash it as I felt the car looked great after they were done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My system:
    Start top to bottom. This requires going from one side of the car to to the other as you move downwards. The front, back and bottom of the car is where the stuff that scratches paint is most abundant. Don't let the crap get in you cleaning towel buy doing those areas last.

For drying... get a 3 synthetic chamois. 1 for paint, 1 for door jams/inside trunks etc. and 1 for wheels. Wash your wheel shamois after ever use.

Final part of my system is to make sure the paint is thoroughly wet before taking the paint chamois to it. Make sure you have a clean bucket full of clean water. Put your chamois in the clean water and use it to lightly wipe down the top most part of the car. Chamois goes back in the bucket to get wet and then is ringed so it can dry the part you just lightly wiped down. This is repeated going top to bottom until the whole car is done.

You will be amazed at what is in the "clean" bucket after you are done the whole car. This is the stuff that scratches your paint. This method also deals with areas drying before you get to them.

Its not easy and not quick, but detailing and quick and easy do not go together!

I do not subscribe to the leaf blower method. Nothing against it though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have had 2 black cars in the past and I used to detail and buff it every other day.
    Its a very hard color to maintain but it is hands down the best looking color when its clean.

One thing I would highly advise doing before applying any sort of detailer spray or wax is, never ever apply it under direct sunlight and never apply it when the paint is hot.
    Make sure your in a shady spot and the paint is cool to the touch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by _AMG_ Click here to enlarge
    Its a very hard color to maintain but it is hands down the best looking color when its clean.
    No doubt about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is one of the reasons I'll never buy another black car....

My detailer told me to go here, there are tons of good products on this site... http://www.autogeek.net/

Get a couple of these for drying....They work wonders http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html

I always keep my drying waffle weave towels in a zip lock plastic bag as well as my sheep wool wash MIT, this is after they dry of course. They won't get any dirt on them if you keep them in a bag.

I agree with everything motorkas says, one thing I would add is to use lots of soap, you can never use to much, the more soap, the more suds and the more lubrication on the paint.

My car is monaco blue (dark navy blue) and almost looks black. I get mine professionally detailed once a year and then make sure to wash weekly, not letting to much dirt build up. Good luck!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh and don't use sponges, they trap dirt and scratch your paint like crazy....

I use something like this http://www.autogeek.net/sheepwas.html

Make sure to rinse the hell out of the mitt after washing each body panel, or use the two bucket method
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so bought the 2 buckets, guards, a mash mitt, 2 waffle drying towels, 4 micfofiber polishing cloths and a leaf blower.

i use mcguires wash, and now, i tried the nxt 2.0 wax. i know its full of fillers, but man, it looks perfect once im done, and thats what i wanted.

I had it detailed a few weeks ago and it looked amazing, so for me, in between the 6 month detailing, ill just be using that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    !
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    so bought the 2 buckets, guards, a mash mitt, 2 waffle drying towels, 4 micfofiber polishing cloths and a leaf blower.

i use mcguires wash, and now, i tried the nxt 2.0 wax. i know its full of fillers, but man, it looks perfect once im done, and thats what i wanted.

I had it detailed a few weeks ago and it looked amazing, so for me, in between the 6 month detailing, ill just be using that.
    Sounds like a good plan! Might want to add in repainting the front bumper every season, that's what I do and I don't drive my car half as hard as you do
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast