Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Faults 2A82 ands 3100 led to a lengthy dealer visit

I just picked my car up today, it was at the dealer for almost a week. My engine had a nice little overhaul while it was there. Below are the parts I got replaced under warranty:

Profile - gasket
    Gasket ring
    Collar Screw
    Bearing ledge intake
    Inlet camshaft
    gasket ring
    decoupling element.

All of this was due to the diligence of the dealership tearing apart my engine and fidning a couple grooves in my bearing strip.. My car drives amazing now, im stoked this was caught before any major damage may have happened.
    Last edited by RambleJ535; 03-15-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Morning grammar corrections

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whats the build date of your car? Is this this infamous "Bearing Ledge" issue?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My car is an 08. I will check the build date later this evening. ( I am guessing late 07 build date ) . I do remember reading about this a while back, but haven't heard much about it in a while.

Here an SIB i found on this issue:

SI B11 02 08
    Engine October 2010
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B11 02 08 dated August 2010.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
    Power Reduction, FC 2A82 Intake VANOS and/or FC 2A87 Exhaust VANOS Camshaft Faults are Stored in DME

MODEL
    E82 and E88 (1 Series) with N51, N52K and N54 engines produced from 1/2008

E90 and E91 (3 Series) with N52 engine produced from 3/2005 through 6/2006

E90, E91, E92 and E93 (3 Series) with N51, N52K and N54 engines produced from 7/2006

E85 and E86 (Z4) with N52 engine produced from 1/2006

E83 (X3) with N52K engine produced from 9/2006

E60 and E61 (5 Series) with N52, N52K and N54 engines produced from 3/2005

E70 (X5) with N52K engine produced from 10/2006

E71 (X6) with N54 engine produced from 1/2008

SITUATION
    The “Service Engine Soon” (MIL) lamp is illuminated and a power reduction is clearly perceptible. This situation can occur after driving for some time with the engine already at full operating temperature. If the ignition is cycled, the engine then usually performs normally.

The following faults are stored in the DME:

2A82 VANOS intake – stiff; jammed mechanically

2A87 VANOS exhaust – stiff; jammed mechanically

3100 Boost-pressure control, deactivation – boost-pressure buildup prohibited (N54 only)

CAUSE
    The VANOS faults can be caused by an insufficient oil pressure supply to the inlet VANOS adjustment unit. To effectively move the camshafts to the target positions in the specified time and under all engine conditions, sufficient oil pressure supply to the VANOS control pistons must always be available. When the engine operation requires that the VANOS quickly advance or retard the intake or exhaust camshaft, fault 2A82 or 2A87 may be set if the camshaft is “late”, or does not reach the target position. In this situation, engine power may be reduced and a check control message is displayed. The consequential fault 3100 can also be set in the DME fault memory as well.

PROCEDURE

Perform all applicable test plans for the faults stored. A mechanical restriction or electrical failure of the VANOS solenoid and/or the electrical circuit can cause insufficient oil supply to the VANOS assemblies as well. If the results of the test plans are inconclusive then proceed to step 2.

The oil filter cap insert may have been inadvertently removed during the vehicle’s last oil service. If this insert is not installed, it will result in non-filtered engine oil being supplied to the engine, thus possibly clogging or damaging the VANOS solenoids.

Replace both VANOS solenoids and change the engine oil and filter. Drive the vehicle to verify effectiveness. If this repair is inconclusive and the fault returns, continue to step 4.

If the oil filter cap is found intact, it is possible that the camshaft hook ring seals (3) have worn a groove into the camshaft bearing ledge (1), causing a drop in oil supply to the VANOS unit.

Camshaft bearing ledge

Intake camshaft

Hook ring seals

Note the deep grooves worn into the intake camshaft bearing ledge by the camshaft hook ring seals.

Acceptable camshaft bearing ledge – minor wear marks from the rotation of the camshaft are normal.

If the oil filter cap insert is found to be missing, then the entire oil filter housing cap must be replaced (refer to the EPC). If excessive wear to the camshaft bearing ledge is found, it is only necessary to replace the camshaft hook ring seals and the affected camshaft bearing ledge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what do these faults have to do with or what do they mean? I just have a lot of posts to read and don't have the time to go get the answer.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale