Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Question Starting New Project, Basic Questions

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 X5 3.0i and am going to do a homemade turbo kit -- something low-boost that can be safely daily driven. I was thinking somethign around 5psi to start on the stock fuel system, engine internals, and tranny.

At least until I start blowing up parts and then I will dive into it full-bore with a motor build like some of the VERY IMPRESSIVE work I have seen while browing on this site. But until then, I want to get something basic in place and see how far I can take it.

I have worked with a few other turbocharged cars and many NA as well, doing everything from pulling motors and installing bigger turbos, intercoolers, SAFC/ECU, injectors, fuel pumps, etc (91' galant vr-4 -- basically an eclipse gs-x 4 door-- '95 300zxtt, subaru wrx's, hondas, LT1/LS1/LS5, Fox Bodies), to tinkering with brakes, suspension, and drivetrain. Pretty much everything short of cracking a transmission open.

Currenty, our project is a 1995 Mazda Miata with a rebuilt '86 RX7 motor (custom motor mounts, exhaust, intercooler piping, standalone EMS, the whole shebang). It SHOULD be finished in about a month or two tops, and then we will begin the X5 project. So basically, I am in research mode.

This is my first BMW and I REALLY don't want to screw up any of the fancy German gadgetry that makes this car what it is. So I have a few questions:

Stock Fuel System:
    How many GPH/lph will the stock fuel pump put out? What kinds of options are there as far as aftermarket fuel pumps? Anything bolt in? In most cars, you can rig a Walbro 255 to take care of any "normal" fuel needs.

Same thing with the stock injectors? Aftermarket options? How close to being tapped out are they?

Engine Management:
    I am used to being able to hook up an SAFC/Wiring a standalone EMS/Sending the ECU to get remapped for my purposes. What kind of options do BMW owners have?

Transmission:
    How many horses can a stock A/T hold up to? I had pretty much figured I would be blowing this one up, I'd either throw this one in, oor figure out how to install a M/T, but then we will undoubtedly start running into those fancy computer issues, no? Are there good resources for rebuilt/upgraded A/T's or am I SOL on that one?

Internals:
    Although, I imagine I will run out of fuel before I start having to worry about blowing up the motor (or run out of fuel and thus have to worry about blowing the motor Click here to enlarge ) how many horses can be had from a M54 without cracking the head? I'm sure I will eventually, but for my purposes, I would prefer to prolong that for as long as possible.

Anyway, it's great to be here, and I look forward to checking out all of the projects and hopefully meeting a few of you at some point as well.

Cheers!!

Ben

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I shall rely for now on my own research...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justben Click here to enlarge
    I shall rely for now on my own research...
    You can if you want to but @PEI330Ci and @bluejeansonfire are our M54 experts. Check out what they have done...

Sorry didn't get to this earlier but lot's of unread threads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You can if you want to but @PEI330Ci and @bluejeansonfire are our M54 experts. Check out what they have done...

Sorry didn't get to this earlier but lot's of unread threads.
    All good, thatnks for the reply. I will check em out. Thanks again!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justben Click here to enlarge
    All good, thatnks for the reply. I will check em out. Thanks again!
    No problem, looking over their threads in the M54 section is a good place to start as well.