Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Question Starting New Project, Basic Questions

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 X5 3.0i and am going to do a homemade turbo kit -- something low-boost that can be safely daily driven. I was thinking somethign around 5psi to start on the stock fuel system, engine internals, and tranny.

At least until I start blowing up parts and then I will dive into it full-bore with a motor build like some of the VERY IMPRESSIVE work I have seen while browing on this site. But until then, I want to get something basic in place and see how far I can take it.

I have worked with a few other turbocharged cars and many NA as well, doing everything from pulling motors and installing bigger turbos, intercoolers, SAFC/ECU, injectors, fuel pumps, etc (91' galant vr-4 -- basically an eclipse gs-x 4 door-- '95 300zxtt, subaru wrx's, hondas, LT1/LS1/LS5, Fox Bodies), to tinkering with brakes, suspension, and drivetrain. Pretty much everything short of cracking a transmission open.

Currenty, our project is a 1995 Mazda Miata with a rebuilt '86 RX7 motor (custom motor mounts, exhaust, intercooler piping, standalone EMS, the whole shebang). It SHOULD be finished in about a month or two tops, and then we will begin the X5 project. So basically, I am in research mode.

This is my first BMW and I REALLY don't want to screw up any of the fancy German gadgetry that makes this car what it is. So I have a few questions:

Stock Fuel System:
    How many GPH/lph will the stock fuel pump put out? What kinds of options are there as far as aftermarket fuel pumps? Anything bolt in? In most cars, you can rig a Walbro 255 to take care of any "normal" fuel needs.

Same thing with the stock injectors? Aftermarket options? How close to being tapped out are they?

Engine Management:
    I am used to being able to hook up an SAFC/Wiring a standalone EMS/Sending the ECU to get remapped for my purposes. What kind of options do BMW owners have?

Transmission:
    How many horses can a stock A/T hold up to? I had pretty much figured I would be blowing this one up, I'd either throw this one in, oor figure out how to install a M/T, but then we will undoubtedly start running into those fancy computer issues, no? Are there good resources for rebuilt/upgraded A/T's or am I SOL on that one?

Internals:
    Although, I imagine I will run out of fuel before I start having to worry about blowing up the motor (or run out of fuel and thus have to worry about blowing the motor Click here to enlarge ) how many horses can be had from a M54 without cracking the head? I'm sure I will eventually, but for my purposes, I would prefer to prolong that for as long as possible.

Anyway, it's great to be here, and I look forward to checking out all of the projects and hopefully meeting a few of you at some point as well.

Cheers!!

Ben

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I shall rely for now on my own research...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justben Click here to enlarge
    I shall rely for now on my own research...
    You can if you want to but @PEI330Ci and @bluejeansonfire are our M54 experts. Check out what they have done...

Sorry didn't get to this earlier but lot's of unread threads.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You can if you want to but @PEI330Ci and @bluejeansonfire are our M54 experts. Check out what they have done...

Sorry didn't get to this earlier but lot's of unread threads.
    All good, thatnks for the reply. I will check em out. Thanks again!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justben Click here to enlarge
    All good, thatnks for the reply. I will check em out. Thanks again!
    No problem, looking over their threads in the M54 section is a good place to start as well.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale