Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Bank 1 Running Lean

Hello Gents,

I recall a thread about this about a year ago, I cant find it at the moment. Never happened before, with the v5 who knows how long its been running like this. I tuned it back for the winter at a flat 11psi.

I have bank 1 running out of my comfort zone. On a 3rd gear pull, Bank 1 is erratic and unpredictable. On cruise, Bank 1 hits 18AFR cyclically. I've attached an image of both.

I cant remember what the solution was. Any help?

Standard procedure:
    91 Oct
    ~11psi
    Plugs changed ~100km ago, swapped coils for fun
    Injectors 10000km old, coded correctly by the dealer (imagine that!)
    ~12C ambients

Click here to enlarge
    3rd gear pull

Click here to enlarge
    Cruise

Cheers
    Last edited by Tzu; 03-11-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    try to reload firmware and maps and reset all adaptations. which maps are you running?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I remember @Laloosh running into this problem when he had the car. Shiv never gave him a proper answer other than telling him his hardware was bad. Turned out his hardware is fine when he switched to Cobb, as his AFR was fine afterward. Maybe Shiv figured out the problem since back then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    These are OTS 7-11 maps. I figured low boost was okay to be more conservative than Shiv had intended. I've always hated how the procede requires adaptation resets so often, who knows how long the car has been running like this. I have reset adaptations, but its annoying how often it needs to be done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just upgrade to Cobb Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man, I know. The repeatability of cobb is unmatched. Two things are keeping me from that at the moment: resale of v5 unit, and I like the PWM system over cobb+JB4 at the moment. When cobb integrates the HFS4, I'll probably buy the controller and modify the PWM to work with cobb that way. It's like I have to log the car twice a week to make sure its running okay. Look at those timing drops. Timing control my ass.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The resale value of the v5 unit is likely to diminish the further you wait. Cobb will have meth integration at some point.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1. Nobody wants a v5 any more. Especcialy since the price is almost the same as a COBB tune.
    Better switch your tune.
    If you plan to use COBB + JB4 I suggest buying the JB4 first and use that as a tune.
    You even might like it so much you won't bother to buy the COBB tune alltogether.
    Don't let anyone tell you it is your hardware's fault.
    90% chance it isn't.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    It's like I have to log the car twice a week
    I use a JB4, and never ever had to do that at all. And no error codes.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got in on a group buy for the new HFS-4 kit. Talking to @Rob@Cobb , map switching is on the todo list (they have it on the other platforms) but solid tuning and customization through ATP/ATR are top most priority. Failsafe integration for meth is in the HFS-4 kit where it pulls the WG line down which is what I'll be playing with soon to see how well it works out.

I've suggested using an unused DME input and map the voltage off it into their load control logic where the voltage off that input would basically apply a factor to load scaling (similar to engine coolant temperature tables where increased coolant temps cause a drop to lower load).

In terms of v5 resale value, it won't be any higher tomorrow than it is today, just like anything else I guess.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I got in on a group buy for the new HFS-4 kit. Talking to @Rob@Cobb , map switching is on the todo list (they have it on the other platforms) but solid tuning and customization through ATP/ATR are top most priority. Failsafe integration for meth is in the HFS-4 kit where it pulls the WG line down which is what I'll be playing with soon to see how well it works out.

I've suggested using an unused DME input and map the voltage off it into their load control logic where the voltage off that input would basically apply a factor to load scaling (similar to engine coolant temperature tables where increased coolant temps cause a drop to lower load).

In terms of v5 resale value, it won't be any higher tomorrow than it is today, just like anything else I guess.
    I really need to wire in my boost bypass solenoid pronto. It should do the same thing the HFS-4 does failsafe-wise for $60 bucks. I'm just being lazy cause I'm waiting for the RBs. Then new plugs and this thing will be done at the same time.

OP- the PWM meth kit is still fetching a good sum on e90. Why not sell the whole setup? Your VIN locked rev2b is worth maybe 250-300. Just upgrade to rev 2.5 for $50 and sell it unlocked. Then it's worth 400-450 and it will be easier to sell. Just don't tell Shiv who you are or he may rub your new box in his crotch. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1000 on themyst comment. Upgrade and resell asap. the Vin locking is the biggest scam ever.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Just don't tell Shiv who you are or he may rub your new box in his crotch.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whatever you do, do it before shiv comes out with a "new and improved v2 pwm meth kit" which will render your existing kit worthless.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I comptemplated all that. At the moment, I prefer the PWM over the BMS WW setup. Let's not disagree on why, I just do. Did I ever tell you guys about how I was between Cobb and the V5 and called Robert to ask if they had any stock? He said the wait was 6 weeks. I said I'll go for a Cobb in that case. "Oh, I found one right here! I'll have it to you next week" he replies. Lol I'm an idiot. Anyway, looks like I'll be dealing with this $#@! for a while longer. I'll update this thread after adaptations have settled.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    The resale value of the v5 unit is likely to diminish the further you wait. Cobb will have meth integration at some point.
    What is the V5 worth now anyway?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    400 used?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i sold my REV 2a for 440 USD installed Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like others stated, upgrade to Rev2.5 for $50. That's really a nobrainer. I found the difference from Rev2 to 2.5 and the aggressive maps to be quite impressive. Both in power and drivability.
    So if you want to stick to a piggyback this will be worth a try. If on the other hand you want to switch to a flash, then sell the Procede as fast as you can, as resale value seems to go down steadily.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No way in hell would I start adding timing to the engine when only cyl 1 is being monitored. Looking at how noisy my Cyl 1 is, I'd be interested to see 2 through 6, maybe when I figure out INPA. That being said, if Shiv DOES add 6 cylinder logging for timing, I imagine this would require a rev 3 for the extra inputs and I'd have to hold off for that. I'd also like to see some logic to keep each bank within a certain difference, say, 0.5AFR, otheriwse the unit should be altering fuel targets on a per bank basis. I don't see this being too difficult; not much different than the WG compensation logic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    No way in hell would I start adding timing to the engine when only cyl 1 is being monitored. Looking at how noisy my Cyl 1 is, I'd be interested to see 2 through 6, maybe when I figure out INPA. That being said, if Shiv DOES add 6 cylinder logging for timing, I imagine this would require a rev 3 for the extra inputs and I'd have to hold off for that. I'd also like to see some logic to keep each bank within a certain difference, say, 0.5AFR, otheriwse the unit should be altering fuel targets on a per bank basis. I don't see this being too difficult; not much different than the WG compensation logic.
    If he ever figures out how to listen to the other cylinders, I doubt it would require a rev 3. You just won't be able to monitor too many other channels. Shiv isn't making enough money nor bothered to add dual CANbus node polling to rev 3 simply because maybe 20 people would ever enjoy that.

Does INPA support datalogging or only live monitoring?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol been there done that went to for sale section to fix the problem. Dump that pos ASAP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sell the PWM kit and get yourself an HFS-4. You're not saving much trying to retrofit the thing to the HFS brain.