Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Why people insist on running a luxury sports sedan down a 1/4 mile track continues to escape my mind...
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Why people insist on running a luxury sports sedan down a 1/4 mile track continues to escape my mind...
    There are sooo many ways I could rip this, but at the end of the day I don't really care. Have a nice day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

sports
    key word

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

because alot of them were built to deal with it? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Don't you own a luxury sports sedan? and you care about performance more than most luxury sport sedan owners.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oldgixxer Click here to enlarge
    Lol that describes Island exactly. Its very close to me,costs $25&I get at least 12-15passes in on a fri nite T&T but primarily I just go there to practice my 60' since I usually spin on the back half of the track
    Island + vbox + cheap meth = great tester track

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Don't you own a luxury sports sedan? and you care about performance more than most luxury sport sedan owners.

Yes I do. I just fail to see how the 1/4 mile track is the "natural stomping ground" for German luxury sedan. I guess it boils down to personal point of view... I know already that my car will never be as fast as a modified Vette, Camaro, GT500, or any other muscle car out there. ...so why try? I measure fun with a car in a different way I guess.

BTW, I meant no offense to anyone who enjoys drag racing! Just know you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment, that's all.. There's always someone faster. Always!
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes I do. I just fail to see how the 1/4 mile track is the "natural stomping ground" for German luxury sedan. I guess it boils down to personal point of view... I know already that my car will never be as fast as a modified Vette, Camaro, GT500, or any other muscle car out there. ...so why try? I measure fun with a car in a different way I guess.

BTW, I meant no offense to anyone who enjoys drag racing! Just know you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment, that's all.. There's always someone faster. Always!
    Some of us prefer the luxury amenities afforded by driving a BMW over a pony car. And you can't deny the fact this platform takes extremely well to tuning! My car wouldn't make it two laps on a road course but I enjoy drag racing and highway runs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

HTTP 404: LUXURY NOT FOUND

IMHO the 135i/335i is nothing more than a solid, sporty car with some nice features. More power to you if you see the car as being too luxurious for a drag strip.

It's a big black dyno that any old joe can have a lot of fun driving a modded car down!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Luxury...lol. A base car comes with nothing and the options you added can be added to any make. Btw my mustang has more luxury then my 135 did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Some of us prefer the luxury amenities afforded by driving a BMW over a pony car. And you can't deny the fact this platform takes extremely well to tuning! My car wouldn't make it two laps on a road course but I enjoy drag racing and highway runs.
    Lol. Interest point. I've never tried to road race either of my 335s but I heard enough stories about brakes, tires and oil/coolant overheating to know it's no walk in the park either.

A guy at work with a Cayman went the full route from stock to adding all sorts of GT parts on it, tracked the hell out of it and wound up putting it back to more or less stock and buying a dedicated race car (cayman). He just got tired of living with all of the compromises track-ready parts require of a street driven car.

I'm with you with the lux + power is fun, esp in a straight line. If kept to moderate power levels, very few things break or wear out quickly and need replacement. Good for lazy guys like me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Why more people don't boggles mine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Yes I do. I just fail to see how the 1/4 mile track is the "natural stomping ground" for German luxury sedan.
    What is the natural stomping ground of a 4000+ pound sedan with an automatic and big turbo or supercharged motor? Because I would argue AMG makes some very naturall drag cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Key point...and it doesn't matter in what type of performance measurement. So how is drag different than anything else?
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    When I lived at the Jersey shore I used to do opening day every year at Englishtown & found the track slow early in the season for street tires till the ground warmed up.

I missed the point some place on "luxury car", its a 3 series that starts around $35K or about $3K over the average price of all cars sold in the US. You can easily spend $50+ on a US made Pickup truck or SUV.

Back in the day I used to take my wife's Fleetwood Brougham to E-town for bracket racing when the Corvette was laid up for parts. Got 4 street eliminator trophies with it thundering down the track at 77mph in 18+ seconds. Sure there is always someone faster in any given race but to me its all about the competition.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

its all about fun, and competition makes it fun

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    For me, it's about legally being able to hit 120+ mph without worrying about all the crap you find on public roads. I also enjoy the competition, there are so many domestic's around here that so far I've been the only BMW any of the times I've gone, and most guys are amazed to see a little stock looking compact sedan running 11s. It's also awesome just to go and watch other cars, if you haven't been 20 ft from a car flying by at 150+mph shooting flames as it shifts you should try it sometime it's pretty great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12