Close

Thread: FI Surge Tank

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

FI Surge Tank

Click here to enlarge

I wanted a fuel system to support an upgraded engine program on my street toy, but wanted to keep full OEM functionality.

Solution?

Run the OEM fuel system, complete with trip computer and emissions equipment, into a surge tank where bigger pump(s) can be fed.

The above fits into a custom compartment I had fabricated under my trunk, where all of the fuel system components can be housed without stinking up my trunk/interior.

Click here to enlarge

So what are all the bungs for?

The -8 AN Bungs on the bottom are to feed up to 2 fuel pumps

The top 2 -6 AN bungs are for the supply, and over flow of fuel between the OEM fuel tank.

The middle 2 -6 AN bungs are for the return lines for up to 2 Fuel Pressure Regulators

The 1/8" NPT bung on the bottom is to monitor the pressure of the surge tank in case there are any transfer problems.

I admit both the custom compartment, and the 16 liter surge tank are overkill for the average street car. But, this is my way to combat fuel starvation from the OEM fuel system, meet the demands of highly modified engines, and keep the OEM fuel gauge and trip computer functional.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very Sweet Setup. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +rep. awesome stuff/info as always PEI.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Very Sweet Setup. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    +rep. awesome stuff/info as always PEI.
    Thanks gents!

Just having fun with this hobby that I love.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    But, this is my way to combat fuel starvation from the OEM fuel system
    What causes fuel starvation with the OEM system? Is it only an issue in higher power cars requiring more fuel or is it an issue with the design of the factory fuel system?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What causes fuel starvation with the OEM system? Is it only an issue in higher power cars requiring more fuel or is it an issue with the design of the factory fuel system?
    Once you get below 1/2 tank, the fuel seems to slosh around the tank enough that on hard corners the fuel pump sucks air. It's a problem for all E46s, with some experiencing it more than others, and it doesn't appear to be power related either.

The solution that some have used is to install a second fuel pump that pulls fuel from the opposite side of the fuel tank, and pumps it into the baffle that the OEM fuel pump sits in. This helps quite a bit, but you lose your fuel level sensor in the process. (No fuel gauge, or trip computer functionality) The other issue is that you are still limited to the flow potential of the OEM fuel pump.

Personally, I like the idea of having an extra volume of fuel on board with a surge tank, because on track (road course) you can suck down a TON of fuel really fast. I know of high HP BMWs running out of fuel in the middle of a session because of this...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Once you get below 1/2 tank, the fuel seems to slosh around the tank enough that on hard corners the fuel pump sucks air. It's a problem for all E46s, with some experiencing it more than others, and it doesn't appear to be power related either.

The solution that some have used is to install a second fuel pump that pulls fuel from the opposite side of the fuel tank, and pumps it into the baffle that the OEM fuel pump sits in. This helps quite a bit, but you lose your fuel level sensor in the process. (No fuel gauge, or trip computer functionality) The other issue is that you are still limited to the flow potential of the OEM fuel pump.

Personally, I like the idea of having an extra volume of fuel on board with a surge tank, because on track (road course) you can suck down a TON of fuel really fast. I know of high HP BMWs running out of fuel in the middle of a session because of this...
    Not sure why I haven't heard E46 M3 guys complaining about this.

Do you feel your solution is the proper way to do it?

Losing the fuel gauge doesn't seem like a good fix to me.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale