Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Fine dining - Chicago vs. California vs. the World

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
    California weather rocks, but everything else about California is a joke. Too many tree hugging liberals $#@!ing everything up. They want to cut down on street racing and then close down a race track that holds weekly street shootout events, how long before these speed junkies that were smart enought to take it out on the track start taking things back to the street? They should be building more race tracks not shutting them down. I would like to meet the trailer trash that lives in Fontana that complained about the noise, Fontana is the $#@!ing armpit of southern California, might as well be $#@!ing Kentucky. The nicest place to eat in Fontana is Carls Jr. or the truck stop.

I have four 1/4 mile drag strips within an hour or so from my house, Route 66, Byron, US 41 and Great Lakes Dragway, I will deal with my $#@!ty chicago winters, at least we have race tracks when things thaw out.
    Ok, you have more drag strips but can't use them much of the year anyway.

We have awesome weather and are close to just about anything. Better food, wine, and beer selections in my opinion. Scratch that, we flat out have the best places for wine in beer in the country. You can do just about anything in LA and you can do it just about any time of year.

Yes, the liberals suck but there still is no place I would rather be. If you have enough money, you don't live next to them anyway. Not like Chicago is all gun toting republicans lighting cigars with 100's or anything.

Anyway, forget the Chicago vs. California thing and what about your Black Series order? Was reading something about it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok, you have more drag strips but can't use them much of the year anyway.

We have awesome weather and are close to just about anything. Better food, wine, and beer selections in my opinion. Scratch that, we flat out have the best places for wine in beer in the country. You can do just about anything in LA and you can do it just about any time of year.

Yes, the liberals suck but there still is no place I would rather be. If you have enough money, you don't live next to them anyway. Not like Chicago is all gun toting republicans lighting cigars with 100's or anything.

Anyway, forget the Chicago vs. California thing and what about your Black Series order? Was reading something about it?
    You need to get out more if you think California has good dining, do some research Chicago has 3 of the top 10 restaurants in the country including having the number 1 restaurant for several years running now, the only place with better dining than Chicago is Vegas, LA is lucky to make number 5, I put Vegas, Chicago, New York, Miami all ahead of LA or even San Fran, you guys DO NOT have great dining out here like we do in Chicago.

I do however agree with you on the Chicago liberal Democrat thing, yes Chicago is and always has been democrat but anywhere outside the city of Chicago proper is not.

As for the car, I am still waiting for a track event. I flew my wife and kids out here on Sunday morning and have been hanging out with them doing Disneyland and stuff, they fly home later today and I will get back on finding a track for my car. I have checked into every track within 350 miles and nobody has any events. Nascar was in Pheonix last week so they have been shut down, Nascar is in Vegas this weekend so no other events, Fontana is still closed, I might have to head up to Sacramento this weekend.
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You need to get out more if you think California has good dining, do some research Chicago has 3 of the top 10 restaurants in the country including having the number 1 restaurant for several years running now, the only place with better dining than Chicago is Vegas, LA is lucky to make number 5, I put Vegas, Chicago, New York, Miami all ahead of LA or even San Fran, you guys DO NOT have great dining out here like we do in Chicago.

I do however agree with you on the Chicago liberal Democrat thing, yes Chicago is and always has been democrat but anywhere outside the city of Chicago proper is not.

As for the car, I am still waiting for a track event. I flew my wife and kids out here on Sunday morning and have been hanging out with them doing Disneyland and stuff, they fly home later today and I will get back on finding a track for my car. I have checked into every track within 350 miles and nobody has any events. Nascar was in Pheonix last week so they have been shut down, Nascar is in Vegas this weekend so no other events, Fontana is still closed, I might have to head up to Sacramento this weekend.
    I've eaten around the world including Chicago. I see no way California sea food can be topped for one and secondly who is doing this rating? Let's not act like there is no fine dining in California because in Southern or Northern there is a ton.

If I want a place to pair every dish to a wine over say 5 courses I can't think of an area that does it better than a few spots I know in wine country. I'm sure Chicago has things it is inherently good at as well.

Didn't realize your marriage took place already, congrats. Anyway, Disneyland is awesome. California Adventure has the alcohol just as a tip but you probably know this already.

Heading to Sacramento isn't even a bad idea. The track itself isn't the best prepped or anything but at least you will get decent DA. Weather is starting to heat up though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've eaten around the world including Chicago. I see no way California sea food can be topped for one and secondly who is doing this rating? Let's not act like there is no fine dining in California because in Southern or Northern there is a ton.
    I would be curious to see his listing as well.

I found this one:

http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best...urants-america

And there are a LOT of NYC restaurants at the top of the list - but only one Chicago restaurant in the top 20. But, that's just one place's listing. I tried to see if Zagat's has a ranked list, but couldn't find one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge

I found this one:

And there are a LOT of NYC restaurants at the top of the list - but only one Chicago restaurant in the top 20. But, that's just one place's listing. I tried to see if Zagat's has a ranked list, but couldn't find one.
    the best thing to eat in Chi town is Al's Italian Beef - nuff said. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Note #6 on the list of top 50 in the world, you will see its the first in the USA

http://www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners

Here's Gayot's top 40 list

http://www.gayot.com/best-restaurant...urantsusa.html

You $#@!es ned to get out more.

Luke, Al's Beef isn't the best either, Mr. Beef is the best Click here to enlarge, Als is a friggin chain, its good but not the best.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Note #6 on the list of top 50 in the world, you will see its the first in the USA

http://www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners

Here's Gayot's top 40 list

http://www.gayot.com/best-restaurant...urantsusa.html

You $#@!es ned to get out more.

Luke, Al's Beef isn't the best either, Mr. Beef is the best Click here to enlarge, Als is a friggin chain, its good but not the best.
    I dunno man - I've eaten at most of those places in the US and a few in Suisse, France, Spain and the UK. All a bunch of overpriced foo foo crap if you ask me.
    We had a Mr. Beef here in LA (Venice beach) was HORRIBLE and is now closed:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chicagos-wor...mr-beef-venice

There's a place in the Valley called Taste Chicago (owned by Joe Mantegna) that is on par with the best Italian Beefs I've had anywhere in Chi town. Regardless, just give me a big ass Porterhouse and bring it on leash and I'm a happy guy Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys have a Portillos out there now, they have great beefs and chicago style dogs if you're ever craving that kinda stuff.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys have a Portillos out there now, they have great beefs and chicago style dogs if you're ever craving that kinda stuff.
    Yup, been there too - not as good as Taste Chicago and further away. I avoid driving down the 5 freeway at all costs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge

I found this one:

3 of the top 10 are in Cali and frankly for my taste nothing tops French Laundry in Yountville.

Looks like it is time for a thread split.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I dont know what the $#@! you said little kid, but the average midwest dude would beat the $#@! out of the average caly fag....
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So a Mid-Westerner's answer to a question about fine dining is that one should fight about it? Splendid.

Next you can tell me the best place to get a deal on coors light during happy hour.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been in many countries in this is the result:

In China i was just eating chips, What they call "food" sucks.
    In Japan the conditions were better.
    In Malaysia I could even find chips, i was starving all the time.
    In France i became fat.
    In Italy i became fat too.
    In UK i lost some weight.
    In Germany food was OK.
    In Spain i had the best meals i've ever had.
    In NY there was a Jew neighbourhood, their food rocks but the rest of restaurants in the city were a tad above normal range.
    In LA I got fat again but not as much as France and or Italy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    In France i became fat.
    In Italy i became fat too.
    In UK i lost some weight.
    In Germany food was OK.
    This all makes complete sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    I've been in many countries in this is the result:

In China i was just eating chips, What they call "food" sucks. AGREED
    In Japan the conditions were better. AGREED
    In Malaysia I could even find chips, i was starving all the time. AGREED
    In France i became fat. OF COURSE
    In Italy i became fat too. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WITH EATING AND DRINKING ALL DAY
    In UK i lost some weight. YOU ALSO BECOME VERY DEPRESSED LIVING THERE
    In Germany food was OK. WORST WINE IN THE WORLD
    In Spain i had the best meals i've ever had. YES BUT NO ONE WANTS TO MAKE THEM AS THEY ARE ALL TOO LAZY
    In NY there was a Jew neighbourhood, their food rocks but the rest of restaurants in the city were a tad above normal range. NO COOKING PASSION
    In LA I got fat again but not as much as France and or Italy. NO PASSION IN LA JUST TRENDY
    So my winner is a little place called Santa Chiara in Sarteano Tuscany (I am biased) with Chikuwa Tel in Singapore a close second.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So a Mid-Westerner's answer to a question about fine dining is that one should fight about it? Splendid.

Next you can tell me the best place to get a deal on coors light during happy hour.
    That's why I left Oklahoma a looooong time ago.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell
    YES BUT NO ONE WANTS TO MAKE THEM AS THEY ARE ALL TOO LAZY
    Funny you mentioned it. I was going to say this too, but thought someone get offended. They all can cook, great food not just your everyday junk food but as you mentioned they are too lazy to do it. Most of the Restaurants in Spain that i'm aware of are run by foreigners.

I forgot India to add, Some great meals i had in India (specially in Goa) but most restaurants, even the famous ones aren't that good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorena but you must remember, the best place in the world for a good curry is not India but rather London.

I must change my mind a bit about London. Last night I had a very nice dinner at a place called the spice garden.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    my mom makes the best food in the world
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge