Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Cool Steed Speed - BMW 335i T3/T4 Twin Scroll Manifold

Check this out:

http://www.steedspeed.com/bmw_335i_twin_scroll_manifold

Just found out from flylow335i that an awesome Canadian shop on the west coast is in the final stages of making their big turbo manifold. Only in this case, its what I'd personally hit up instead of what's been shown so far. Its for a TWIN SCROLL unit with either a T3 or a T4 flange.

Steed Speed are an an awesome fabrication shop. Their manifolds were used by HPF in the past on their M3 kits.

Steed make their manifolds by digitizing the entire engine bay and making the manifolds using CAD, so the right way basically to lower cost and increase production costs.

Now, imagine a twin scroll GT35R on an N54! my thoughts: dream not too far from reality it seems...and $1k, by paypal button is disabled at the moment
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn....we need more info on this. I wonder what their using as a tuning solution to get that all running right with the DME not freaking out.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No idea about anything...should know more tomorrow hopefully
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its getting interesting around here, going to hold on to the little 135i a little longer Click here to enlarge

The 996tt can wait another year Click here to enlarge
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    To upgrade to a big single turbo, what other parts are necessary besides the new manifold and single turbo? I guess assuming that the turbo utilizes all the same lines that the stock turbo's use... although I'm thinking with a large single, you'd need more oil flow (larger lines) to keep it cool?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, basically the manifold and the turbo need to fit first and the manifold needs to properly address o2 sensor placement...then you get to deal with the wastegate placement/plumbing...once that's done a downpipe needs to be created to mate to existing exhausts so its plug and play that way as well as existing fmic location...

before all that is even started you want to make sure the tuning can be done once the hardware is ready and not the other way around
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And various CNC adapters or fittings depending on how the turbo sits, what OEM hoses it blocks, connections it has, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could this be intended for the N55 instead of the N54?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Could this be intended for the N55 instead of the N54?
    Doubt it but it could...imagine its both Click here to enlarge

jpsimon on e90post emailed them a few minutes ago and got almost an instant reply, check this out:

wow they are fast at replying to emails:

Quote:
    Hey, just a quick question. Noticed you guys are working on a twin scroll manifold for the 335. Do you plan on making it fit for the XI? Also the price you have listed - $1000 - is that going to be somewhat accurate?

reply:
    Quote:
    Yes, we are close to done with the design. Price will be $1000 shipped.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds Promising, will be great for the future if all goes well and the way its been going for the past weeks on all this turbo talk for @Terry@BMS to offer a complete kit. Click here to enlarge
    JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | ER CP + Forge DVs | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Window Trim | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & a few other things...Tuned by: Burger Motorsports.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, check out their E36 M3 manifold http://www.steedspeed.com/bmw_e36_m3_exhaust_manifolds

The E46 and several are the others look to be made the same way: they just machine up chunks of steel and tig weld them together like a triple-decker sandwich and put flanges on them. Looks absolutely indestructible, built like a fire hydrant but probably weighs about as much. The E36 manifold looks like it's gotta weigh 25+ lbs... jeez. Nice though and the price is surprising given how much machining of stainless steel they're doing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's an update from Steed Speed Peformance's owner Leen on the manifold and o2 sensor placement and confirmation this is for the N54 engine indeed:

=====

The design is true twin scroll with two sensors pre turbo. Right now I am just finishing the passages closest to the turbo and then I just have to work out the outside profile which is the easy part. Happily I am not constrained by outside vendor input on this one and will be able to create a manifold that really performs to the highest level possible.

=====
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Wow, check out their E36 M3 manifold http://www.steedspeed.com/bmw_e36_m3_exhaust_manifolds

The E46 and several are the others look to be made the same way: they just machine up chunks of steel and tig weld them together like a triple-decker sandwich and put flanges on them. Looks absolutely indestructible, built like a fire hydrant but probably weighs about as much. The E36 manifold looks like it's gotta weigh 25+ lbs... jeez. Nice though and the price is surprising given how much machining of stainless steel they're doing.
    Steelspeed definitely looks to be my favorite so far, pending the design for the 335i.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge

Yeah, I wonder if that is how the N54 manifold will look? That looks super high-end, and especially nice for only $1k.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Now, imagine a twin scroll GT35R on an N54! my thoughts: dream not too far from reality it seems...and $1k, by paypal button is disabled at the moment
    Dzenno, have you looked at the Borg Warner EFR 7670? What are your thoughts on that vs. the GT3582R? The price point is very similar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn...manifold is the tough part. If we can get this for $1k fabbing up the downpipe, intercooler plumping, and wastegate really is pretty straight forward. If Terry can get some tuning set up with the JB4 then we should be able to go twin scroll single for a relatively decent price. $#@! LM......you left to soon. Click here to enlarge
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    $#@! LM......you left to soon.
    or just in time.. already had more $ invested than i originally wanted, and swapping turbos again and starting from scratch would not make for a happy wife, ie happy life Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno, have you looked at the Borg Warner EFR 7670? What are your thoughts on that vs. the GT3582R? The price point is very similar.
    Not sure yet what to think, need to look at their compressor maps and do some research. Just eyeballing their specs the BW should be a great street racer turbo. For the 1/4 I'd prefer the Garret maybe....7670 looks like it has an internally wastegated option?

Beauty is you get to pick one, bolt it on, rescale the wgdc table in ATP/ATR and off you go tuning, having fun and breaking some more $#@! Click here to enlarge

I have to say, this motor and its DME have spoiled us for way too long...these turbos are opening a black hole and many pockets will get burnt holes in them soon I have a feeling, but at least, for those that want it its coming true
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 03-05-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All said, I will still not consider a single turbo kit. The twin scroll option is definitely interesting. Until someone offers are ready made kit that runs on Cobb software, my bank account is staying flush! I can have a lot more fun with this sums of money elsewhere!
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Not sure yet what to think, need to look at their compressor maps and do some research. Just eyeballing their specs the BW should be a great street racer turbo. For the 1/4 I'd prefer the Garret maybe....7670 looks like it has an internally wastegated option?

Beauty is you get to pick one, bolt it on, rescale the wgdc table in ATP/ATR and off you go tuning, having fun and breaking some more $#@! Click here to enlarge

I have to say, this motor and its DME have spoiled us for way too long...these turbos are opening a black hole and many pockets will get burnt holes in them soon I have a feeling, but at least, for those that want it its coming true
    Yes, internal wastegate is definitely an option. Should be easy enough to fab up an actuator bracket to mount one of our vacuum actuators. They claim to have the fastest spool-up time, which is another reason they interest me.

Also, they have an optional turbo speed sensor that mounts right in the compressor housing. That sounds like something you may be interested in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Also, they have an optional turbo speed sensor that mounts right in the compressor housing. That sounds like something you may be interested in.
    yay, another sensor Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    All said, I will still not consider a single turbo kit. The twin scroll option is definitely interesting. Until someone offers are ready made kit that runs on Cobb software, my bank account is staying flush! I can have a lot more fun with this sums of money elsewhere!
    I'm sure that will happen eventually. In the domestic world, you typically buy your supercharger kit and it comes with a Predator (or similar) handheld programmer with a pre-loaded map to reflash your ECU in your driveway, as soon as your install is complete. No tuning or adjustments necessary by the end-user.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's some pics of their 4 cylinder twin scroll manifold layout...see how easy it is to tap for o2 sensor bungs Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

This manifold is pure xxx
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Reading this after an awesome day at Autocross in the 1M is one of the best feelings ever!

Decisions decisions....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dzenno I know your going for this, you was born for this, it is your destiny!!Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast