Close

Thread: M3 diff in 335

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

M3 diff in 335

As you know I have been running a M3 diff for yonks in my 335. I haven't really explained how it is done and to date no one has either attempted or gotten it right.
    Its a pretty simple conversion. You bolt in the M3 diff with the driveshafts (for some reason the driveshafts do not fit in a 135). You then use the the M3 propshaft, in my case it was from a E92. On the front portion you cut the driveshaft in half and match the 335's drive shaft so you are able to couple it to the box. Simple as a pimple. Click here to enlarge

Excuse the nitrous and fuel line :happyanim: I also noticed when I was uploading loose diff bolt on the right Click here to enlarge so under the car I go again.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The marriage.Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is the benefit of the M3 diff? Seems like quite the hassle and expense for an LSD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    What is the benefit of the M3 diff? Seems like quite the hassle and expense for an LSD.
    I had a problem with my stock diff that was fitted with a Quaife. The company that did it failed to fill it with oil and the ring and pinion got worn. At that stage diffs where hard to come buy and I had mentioned to my tuner that the forums and diff meisters said it was impossible to do. Took the car to him and 1 and a half days later it was on and working with the added benefit of beefier M3 shafts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge

Clutch pack based diff vs torsen based quaife or wavetrac.

OSG is clutch as well, but fairly expensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scott_uw Click here to enlarge

I think in the long run with high power torsen is the way to go taking into account servicing. I do feel the clutch diff is smoother around the bends or should I say more controllable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    I had a problem with my stock diff that was fitted with a Quaife. The company that did it failed to fill it with oil and the ring and pinion got worn. At that stage diffs where hard to come buy and I had mentioned to my tuner that the forums and diff meisters said it was impossible to do. Took the car to him and 1 and a half days later it was on and working with the added benefit of beefier M3 shafts.
    I got ya, seems to make sense in the scenario.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scott_uw Click here to enlarge

Ahhh, yea, I did read that somewhere I just couldn’t remember. Don’t the clutch pack units need quite a bit more servicing and maintenance though? Might be overkill for a car that isn’t dedicated to the track. Not sure what @George Smooth uses his car for though.